CFZ Zeke needs some Respect

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Zeke’s not the guy he was in 2016. No argument there. He’s 27 now and has taking a beating. He’s had some minor injuries that have hampered him the last year or so. 27 is getting up there for a RB but 27 is still young. It’s all about how you take care of your body. Hell, Brady’s 42 and still competing at a high level.

What Zeke has morphed into later in his career is a ground and pound short yardage machine. When was the last time you saw Zeke get stopped on 3rd and 1? It’s happened, but it’s been awhile. If you have a ground and pound RB who can get that 1st down on 3rd and 1 then you have something. The defense knows it’s coming, yet Zeke gets it done. And the key to that statement is that he’s done it with great offensive lines and bad offensive lines. You may not like the nose rings, the fro, the “Feed Me”, but the dude balls out on Sunday’s. We’re lucky to have him. Now his next contract is not going to be anything close to his 1st contract, but I for one hope the Cowboys extend him at a Cowboy friendly contract next year. He’s a huge part of the offense.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke’s not the guy he was in 2016. No argument there. He’s 27 now and has taking a beating. He’s had some minor injuries that have hampered him the last year or so. 27 is getting up there for a RB but 27 is still young. It’s all about how you take care of your body. Hell, Brady’s 42 and still competing at a high level.

What Zeke has morphed into later in his career is a ground and pound short yardage machine. When was the last time you saw Zeke get stopped on 3rd and 1? It’s happened, but it’s been awhile. If you have a ground and pound RB who can get that 1st down on 3rd and 1 then you have something. The defense knows it’s coming, yet Zeke gets it done. And the key to that statement is that he’s done it with great offensive lines and bad offensive lines. You may not like the nose rings, the fro, the “Feed Me”, but the dude balls out on Sunday’s. We’re lucky to have him. Now his next contract is not going to be anything close to his 1st contract, but I for one hope the Cowboys extend him at a Cowboy friendly contract next year. He’s a huge part of the offense.
Good post as he's been carrying this offense since 2016.
Old man Jerry is correct we go as Zeke goes......

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Yep, the crux will be whether Jerry will threaten to cut or get frank with him on tearing up his contract and whether Zeke is able to accept (the possible slight to an Alpha Male that he's now Joint RB1 and has to take that ay cut as a result).

His problem is obviously Tony, but also Malik.

Cmac

Reaction score
Zeke has been a model teammate, matured behind the off the field transgressions, and supported his RB peer (yet never garners the leadership label that SLee or JWitt was granted). He has been ran into the ground his early years, and did what any player or RB should do when contract time comes forward, bounced back from the "fumble" season, he has been the Fall Guy on this board, took lumps when the OL was declining in play, accepted his role and support with TPollard, endured some questionable OC play-calling and pass-happy schemes........he has my respect and I'm not counting his pockets.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Brady is 45. The next current oldest player is our very own Jason Peters. At 40.

Vinny played to 44. DeBerg too. In the modern NFL, only Kickers have played older than Brady.

Brady is obviously a freak of nature and doesn't play RB.

I give Zeke plenty of respect for how he has handled becoming #2. And I see some returning burst in him.

But ... he's older and his long term trend has been downhill. Everyone but the QBs have better yards per carry than Zeke. The improved run blocking makes it an easy row to hoe.

Respect him for the man he's grown into. But accurately evaluate him as a player. He's a competent RB well past his prime on the decline long term. We should move on to make room for younger RBs. Time to draft some next year, franchise Pollard, and let Zeke go.

Last edited:

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score

Zeke & Pollard can probably win the SB MVP trophy if they continue to run hard in the post-season.

JBond

Reaction score
Didn't he get stuffed for a 2 yard loss on a fourth and one recently?

plasticman

Reaction score
Of course other RB's have better yards per carry. However, if your major function is short yardage or goal line or 4th quarter eating the clock or setting the tone on the first drive, the yards don't come easy.

And then when you have finally tenderize the opponent defenses front seven and are ready reap the benefits, in comes Pollard.

Not that I'm complaining, I just think it's a little frustrating to be compared to Pollard when Zeke is getting the tough yards.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Of course other RB's have better yards per carry. However, if your major function is short yardage or goal line or 4th quarter eating the clock or setting the tone on the first drive, the yards don't come easy.

And then when you have finally tenderize the opponent defenses front seven and are ready reap the benefits, in comes Pollard.

Not that I'm complaining, I just think it's a little frustrating to be compared to Pollard when Zeke is getting the tough yards.

Indeed, but (as with the other threads) it comes down to whether you could get similar 'hard yard' production without having to spend $16.7m in 2023.

Blackrain

Reaction score

Zeke's a great running back in the cowboy tradition he has 1800 and some carries so far in his career Tony Dorsett finished with nearly 3,000 carries and emmitt Smith finished his career with 4,400

Zeke needs to concentrate on taking care of his body in the off-season He's only 27 those guys were in the prime of their career at that point he should have some more goodyears left if he takes care of himself

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
No he doesn't and he's not the lead dawg. Zeke signed a huge deal and has never stayed dedicated. The days of showing off the abs have long been gone since his rookie season and since then he hasn't been much of an impact. He's lost 2-3 steps and will be gone next year.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Our membership has many "gurus," who rally to be the first to criticize our players. It's nothing short of pathetic. :angry:

Ezekiel Elliott has been a stalwart for many years, as our lead back and is coming to the last vestiges of a long career.

Despite the fact that he's lost a bit of his rookie speed, he still remains an extremely valuable member of our RB corps.