Zeke or Dak, what if we can only keep one

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I can show you many QB plays, when they escape the clutches of defense and make huge plays.... there is a long long long list of those...but since you bring up the one play against the saints...how about the fumbles inside opponents 20 or Ints in the end zone he throws? I am sure that's the coaches, the WR, the TE, the OL and defenses fault, but not Dak.....

no one ever denies his desire and commitment. its the skillset as a passer that needs a lot of improvement. no one is saying he is bad or that being a game manager is bad..... you take offense to that...not sure why?....

and just because he had a 455 yard game doesn't mean he is great. many middle of the pack QBs have done that....but he is also made a lot of bad plays...but somehow those are ignored. he is left a lot of meat on that bone as someone once said....

Russell Wilson has a superbowl ring and been to two.....with less resources than Dak. until Dak does that...he is below Wilson....and Wilson has carried his team the past couple of years.....with less talent around him than Dak has had. if I had to choose between the two..I take Wilson 4 times out of 3......

and what we do know for a fact...when zeke is not around...Dak is 4-3. when zeke under performed last year we were 2-6, when zeke performed at a high level (100+ total yards) we are 9-1. regardless of how Dak performed.
Did you watch the great quarterbacks in the playoffs last season. I would give them all a C+ including Brady. Drew Brees was horrible Mahomes got pressure up the middle and panic he was horrible. Jared Goff can't read a defense to save his life where Prescott is in his career. The sky is the limit he has everything it takes.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I believe we passed the ball 20 more times last season than we ran the ball. I don't know the exact numbers but it's pretty darn close. He only had an average amount of attempts passing. Compared to most other teams so average you have to understand why I totally believe he can take this team on his shoulders and win a championship
its 527 vs. 439. about 80 apart. we were 21st in pass attempts, but top 10 in rushing attempts.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
no, those QBs are bottom of the league....choose middle of the pack QBs and let me know....Dak is middle of the pack.
I agree Prescott is above the middle of the pack and that's exactly where you should be at this point in his career. It's about Improvement getting better. Quarterbacks that were put in his situation maybe so much better Talent are already out of the league because they didn't have all the attributes Prescott has. Bottom line the kid is a winner

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Did you watch the great quarterbacks in the playoffs last season. I would give them all a C+ including Brady. Drew Brees was horrible Mahomes got pressure up the middle and panic he was horrible. Jared Goff can't read a defense to save his life where Prescott is in his career. The sky is the limit he has everything it takes.
so Dak is above Mahomes, Brees, Brady....

can I have some of what you are smoking....because it must be really good

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I believe statistics are for the end of your career. But if you like statistics. He has more 4th quarter wins since he's been in the league than any other quarterback. More Prime Time wins than any other quarterback. But I believe this is a team sport. If they turn him loose in the first quarter and don't wait till the 4th because they don't want to expose the youngest starting defense in the league. You will have those numbers everyone's looking for

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
And last season I think Prescott actually out play Drew Brees down in New Orleans. I think Brees is on the decline. And Sean Payton was horrible coaching in the playoffs.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You must have been high on something or were wearing blinders if you haven't seen the times he's put the team on his back with some of the plays he's made. In his 3 seasons Dak has beaten four future HOF fame QBs, Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger and Eli. As for our defense it was never any good until this past season until it folded once again in the playoffs. It looked like crap against the Giants in the season final and Dak made the game winning play. Dak played well enough for the Cowboys to win the game against the Rams in the playoffs but the defense laid an egg. The defense laid an egg in the playoffs in 2016 against Green Bay after Dak brought us back to tie that game. I'm disgusted with you! As for Zeke he's led the league in rushing 2 of his first 3 seasons. He's a great player but the longevity won't be there with him. At his current pace he'll hit the wall by the time he's 29-30. You can't win without solid QB play. Look at all the QBs that have been kicked to the curb this offseason and everyone of them have been mentioned here as a replacement for Dak. :facepalm::laugh:
crap agains the giants in a meaningless game for both teams...awesome selection of games....

that crappy defense saved Dak's arse against the saints. they hung in there against indy but Dak put up the first goose egg since quincy carter...but then again I am sure you are going to say it wasn't his fault...its always somebody else....that was an ugly ugly ugly game by Dak.

so in your opinion, Dak individually beat those QBs...like Brees....by scoring 13 points....WOW.....

Dak sucked against the rams. he had 260 yards for the game...100 of which came in the last two meaningless drives against prevent defense of rams to run out the clock. that's called stat collection. in the first 3.5 quarters he had all of 160 yards and 1-9 for the game on 3rd down conversion...the money down.... no Dak sucked against the rams....he had 2 good moments...but according to you..whoopee....look at those two plays.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
that's not surprising nor unexpected. in fact it should be expected. No one has said Dak is bad. the argument is that he is average. and the question was which will you choose. Dak or Zeke. I chose zeke. I can point to quite a few games that Zeke put the team on his back and carried the team. there is a lot of those.

with that said...the saints game last year is a bad example for Dak....you point to a single play as him putting the team on his back and that play seemingly why we beat the saints, when in fact it was the best defensive effort we have seen in a long time that won that game, putting a strangle hold on a top offense and top passing offense in the league. Dak had a lot of bad moments in that game...13 points!!! that's not putting the team on your back. winning with 13 points means you got lucky and defense bailed you out. fumbling inside the opponents 15!!! not good. really bad. specially in a close game like that....minimally you have to come away with 3 points and force them to score a TD, instead of giving them the opportunity to make one play and kick a field goal to tie....

Dak has been carried given that consistently over the past three years, he has been middle of the pack in passing yards, he is asked to play it safe, let the running game do the work. we know without top level talent around him he has been very below average. without Zeke, he is 4-3, failing to score 10 points in 3 of those games. without Cooper he struggled mightily. he needs top 5 talent to surround him and when we have given him that, he has driven the bus and managed the games....

btw, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. there are teams that have won without top level talent at QB. so its nothing wrong with saying, dak is average, middle of the pack. doesn't mean he doesn't make any plays. he does. all QBs do. even the 32nd ranked QB. its just the consistency, and your role in the offense. I am ok with that....

and the question that you need to answer. given the same talent what would other QBs in the league be able to do?

Dak has been called "bad" by many on this board. Do some reading! These threads wanting to replace him wouldn't keep popping up if everyone thought he was a good QB. There's been a number of plays where Dak put the team on his back in the 4th quarter and that goes all the way back to his rookie season. Look at some of the plays he made against Green Bay and Pittsburgh in 2016. Look at the plays he made against Philly in both games this past season. He orchestrated a great drive against Philly in OT. Open your eyes! Too many of you are hung up on his passing yards and passing TDs. He had almost 2200 yards the final 8 games of the season.

Would you rather have Cousins who puts up 4000 yard seasons every year but never wins? His yards and TDs have only led to ONE playoff appearance. I doubt many if any QBs would have had much success with the talent we had on offense to start last season with. No Dez, Witten or Twill, just one solid receiver in Beasley. We did Dak no favors at WR to start the season which resulted in the Cooper trade. With Frederick out and Williams struggles our OL wasn't very good. Dak got sacked over 50 times, some were on him and some were on the OL. What QB that was available would you have rather have than Dak?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
As the years pass Dak will continue to get better, Zeke won’t. We’re getting the best we’re ever going to get out of Zeke right now. He already has a lot of miles on him.
3 years...where is the improvement?

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
crap agains the giants in a meaningless game for both teams...awesome selection of games....

that crappy defense saved Dak's arse against the saints. they hung in there against indy but Dak put up the first goose egg since quincy carter...but then again I am sure you are going to say it wasn't his fault...its always somebody else....that was an ugly ugly ugly game by Dak.

so in your opinion, Dak individually beat those QBs...like Brees....by scoring 13 points....WOW.....

Dak sucked against the rams. he had 260 yards for the game...100 of which came in the last two meaningless drives against prevent defense of rams to run out the clock. that's called stat collection. in the first 3.5 quarters he had all of 160 yards and 1-9 for the game on 3rd down conversion...the money down.... no Dak sucked against the rams....he had 2 good moments...but according to you..whoopee....look at those two plays.
How can anyone call a division game meaningless. People are playing for their careers no game is meaningless.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
no, those QBs are bottom of the league....choose middle of the pack QBs and let me know....Dak is middle of the pack.

Name a middle of the pack QB you would rather have than Dak? Is he not our best option or can you name a better one?

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Name a middle of the pack QB you would rather have than Dak? Is he not our best option or can you name a better one?
I'd rather have Prescott than Carson Wentz. Nick Foles the lollipop throw the ball up for grabs quarterback. I'd rather have him than Eli Manning or the declining Drew

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
3 years...where is the improvement?

I said Dak will get better and Zeke won't. Zeke's best years are now. Dak showed great improvement the final 8 games after the Cooper trade. Don't blame the QB, blame our defense and HC for our lack of postseason success.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I said Dak will get better and Zeke won't. Zeke's best years are now. Dak showed great improvement the final 8 games after the Cooper trade. Don't blame the QB, blame our defense and HC for our lack of postseason success.
The Rams offensive line it was Men playing against boys. I truly believe if we had the ball last we still may have won that game.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'd rather have Prescott than Carson Wentz. Nick Foles the lollipop throw the ball up for grabs quarterback. I'd rather have him than Eli Manning or the declining Drew

Dak has had a better career than Wentz so far and he has the head to head edge over Wentz.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This season they will turn Prescott loose sooner than the 4th quarter. It'll be like playing the Ravens last season all over again. I truly believe they did not want to expose this young defense. So ball control was the game plan. I truly want to see more Innovation and I think we will. Go Cowboys go Prescott go Elliot LOL

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak has been called "bad" by many on this board. Do some reading! These threads wanting to replace him wouldn't keep popping up if everyone thought he was a good QB. There's been a number of plays where Dak put the team on his back in the 4th quarter and that goes all the way back to his rookie season. Look at some of the plays he made against Green Bay and Pittsburgh in 2016. Look at the plays he made against Philly in both games this past season. He orchestrated a great drive against Philly in OT. Open your eyes! Too many of you are hung up on his passing yards and passing TDs. He had almost 2200 yards the final 8 games of the season.

Would you rather have Cousins who puts up 4000 yard seasons every year but never wins? His yards and TDs have only led to ONE playoff appearance. I doubt many if any QBs would have had much success with the talent we had on offense to start last season with. No Dez, Witten or Twill, just a couple of average WRs. We did Dak no favors at WR to start the season which resulted in the Cooper trade. With Frederick out and Williams struggles our OL wasn't very good. Dak got sacked over 50 times, some were on him and some were on the OL. What QB that was available would you have rather have than Dak?
not by me...I called him average to above average.....

I argue that he is not elite. as many on here continue to argue he is elite. do some reading yourself if you are in that group.

everyone thinks we probably can do better with another QB. that's the argument...the fact is that even Dak lover like yourself agree he needs a strong supporting cast to succeed. like a top 10, top 5 OL as we have heard over and over and over again from Dak lovers that the OL is trash, yet it was top 10 most of the season and probably middle of the pack OL...yet Dak lovers called it trash...they had to go out and get him a top 5 WR and he needs a top RB in the back field to have any type of offensive success. last year we gave him a top 10 defense and they pulled out a few games for him.

he has made plays. no denying. never said he didn't. but he has also screwed up big time like throwing interceptions in the end zone...a big no no...

open your eyes. in the first philly game Zeke put the team on his back, hurdling over defenders and playing heroic. in the second game Cooper made a great play and run after catch. zeke had a great performance in that game that you keep ignoring......

I am not sure what cousins would/could do with this team. cousins did throw for over 4200 yards...almost 4300. he didn't have a zeke in the back field. they ran into some bad luck and bad game management. seemed like the cowboys in 2017....

and I appreciate you making my case that dak needs a strong supporting cast to be average passer and game manager that he is.....we don't need him to be top 5 passer. we need him to play it safe. don't make mistakes or minimize his mistakes and allow zeke and the rest of the team to lead us to victory.....is he part of it...defintley, I never said he is not. but he is not the sole reason as you are attempting to make him to be.