Zeke or Jalen Ramsey 2 years later

ultron

Reaction score
It's been 2 full seasons (minus a bogus 6 game suspension)! Zeke won a rushing title his rookie year and probably would've won a second consecutive rushing title had he not served a 6 game suspension in the middle of the season.

Jalen Ramsey is considered to be a top corner in the National Football League and typically covers the #1 WR on the opposing team.

The Cowboys had an opportunity to draft either player 2 years ago and selected Zeke. At the time I really wanted Jalen Ramsey; however, I'm a bit torn now. I think Zeke is extremely important to this team (probably more important than most people think). With the emergence of Chidobe Awuzie, Jourdan Lewis, and Anthony Brown - I feel pretty 'ok' with our secondary, but Ramsey/Awuzie/Lewis & possibly Brown would be stellar in my opinion.

What are your thoughts?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
ITs tough because of Zekes baggage.

I think Zeke is still better than Ramsey but the position he plays could be replaced easier.

I think the deciding breaker for me would be that our coach is terrible and he relies on players imposing their will and he also gets our young QB better matchups in the pass game so I would stick with Zeke for our franchise.

btw I was Ramsey > Zeke in the draft.

Bosa has been the biggest surprise to me though. He's wayyyy better then I thought he would be,

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ramsey was the right call at the time, no doubt about it. We got lucky with the DBs, sort of, this season, but should never have been in a position where 4 starters walked and we had to replace them all in one draft. That's just bad team management, and would have been worse had Anthony Brown not panned out as a 6th rounder that same year. Can you imagine?

Plus, Zeke plays a position that can readily be filled in rounds 2-4. And he was known to have character questions coming out, which did in fact bite us. I'm not absolving Goodell for that witch hunt, but Elliott had no business being in that situation to begin with.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Zeke is a legitimate generational talent. Ramsey is a top tier corner, but not an all-time great. In my opinion, the only argument for taking Ramsey over Zeke is that Ramsey plays a more impactful position where it is more difficult to find good talent, which is a perfectly valid stance.

Last edited:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke is a legitimate generational talent. Ramsey is a top tier corner, but not an all-time great. In my opinion, the only argument for taking Ramsey over Zeke is that Ramsey plays a more impactful position where it is more difficult to find good talent, which is a perfectly valid position.

CBs also have a longer life span in NFL years.

movaughn88

Reaction score
There are a ton of things to consider, but I think I'd stay with Zeke for this particular team.

1) He fits and is crucial to our offensive philosophy (I don't love our 90's offense either, but it is what it is).
2) Zeke was wayyy better year 1 than Ramsey. He was a big part of that playoff run, we just ran into one of the most elite players at the most elite position having one of his best games.
3) We drafted 2 good young CB's this year, which mitigates the opportunity cost.
4) If we want to sign Zeke to a 2nd generation contract, it will cost about 1/2 the $'s per year of what Ramsey will cost. You could argue that means CB is more valuable, but pretty soon the Jags are going to sign that kid to an albatross of a contract if they want to keep him.

The Natural

Reaction score
Signing Lamar Miller in FA and drafting Ramsey was my strategy, we would've filled the RB spot at a good price and got the best defensive player. Today I would roll with Zeke because this staff has too many difficulties maximizing talent, I feel a quality RB like Zeke can excel inspite of the coaching ineptitude. We'd probably have Ramsey at FS, looking like a jag.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
What are your thoughts?
After about the zillionth thread made about this?

MwpFTJ8.gif

Portnoy1

Reaction score
If you have a top tier DLINE you take Ramsey
If you have a top tier OLINE you take Zeke

The cowboys didn't have a top tier DLINE so Ramsey would have been okay, but not great like he is in Jax.

If Zeke goes to the Giants for instance he wouldn't be as good as here.

Zeke was the correct choice

rkell87

Reaction score
To me this is never been about Ramsay versus Elliot this has been about Damarco Murray versus Elliot. We found Murray in the third round and developed him into one of the best backs in the game and then just let him walk. Never made sense considering what we give guys like Tyrone Crawford.

Is our team better with a top 3 RB or a top 7 RB and the best CB? Pretty easy for me to pick now but I knew this would be the case two years ago.

I know why it happened too. We are trying to mimic and model ourselves after the patriots who don't value RBs so we let Murray leave only to find that not valuing RBs conflicts with our draft strategy of BPA in a position of need. Combine that with Mo Claiborne and we get Elliott over Ramsey.

Last edited: