Zeke or Jalen Ramsey 2 years later

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
No way I throw Zeke back for Ramsey................NO WAY

Same with Dak for Wentz................ what the hell is wrong with you people

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It's been 2 full seasons (minus a bogus 6 game suspension)! Zeke won a rushing title his rookie year and probably would've won a second consecutive rushing title had he not served a 6 game suspension in the middle of the season.

Jalen Ramsey is considered to be a top corner in the National Football League and typically covers the #1 WR on the opposing team.

The Cowboys had an opportunity to draft either player 2 years ago and selected Zeke. At the time I really wanted Jalen Ramsey; however, I'm a bit torn now. I think Zeke is extremely important to this team (probably more important than most people think). With the emergence of Chidobe Awuzie, Jourdan Lewis, and Anthony Brown - I feel pretty 'ok' with our secondary, but Ramsey/Awuzie/Lewis & possibly Brown would be stellar in my opinion.

What are your thoughts?

Its not even close. Ramsey all day long. You take a shut down top corner over a RB all day, every day. How bad do we need that kid now? He is the leader of that defense. Love Zeke, but to use a 4th pick in the draft on a RB is just plain dumb.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Zeke. We don't make the playoffs in 2016 if we had taken Ramsey over Zeke. We're likely a playoff team this year if not for Zeke's suspension. Ramsey wouldn't have gotten us in the playoffs this year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Ramsey was the right call at the time, no doubt about it. We got lucky with the DBs, sort of, this , but should never have been in a position where 4 starters walked and we had to replace them all in one draft. That's just bad team management, and would have been worse had Anthony Brown not panned out as a 6th rounder that same year. Can you imagine?

Plus, Zeke plays a position that can readily be filled in rounds 2-4. And he was known to have character questions coming out, which did in fact bite us. I'm not absolving Goodell for that witch hunt, but Elliott had no business being in that situation to begin with.

Stellar stellar analysis. Well done!!! :clap::flagwave::flagwave::clap::clap::yourock::yourock::dance::oldcouple::bow:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Zeke. We don't make the playoffs in 2016 if we had taken Ramsey over Zeke. We're likely a playoff team this year if not for Zeke's suspension. Ramsey wouldn't have gotten us in the playoffs this year.

Another short sighted fan. Is making the playoffs your SB or something? What did making the playoffs matter in 2016? We didnt even win a game and then didnt even make the playoffs this year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
In a vacuum I wanted Ramsey. But with hindsight it’s pretty easy to take Zeke now especially with the development of our secondary

I think that is probably the worst thought out, or no thought at all answer you could possibly make on this subject.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Plus, isn't Ramsey a press corner-type? The Cowboys play so much zone I doubt Ramsey would fit in well here, but I could be wrong.

Yep you are definitely wrong. They play a lot of zone because the dont have the corners to play man. They would all get torched.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Another short sighted fan. Is making the playoffs your SB or something? What did making the playoffs matter in 2016? We didnt even win a game and then didnt even make the playoffs this year.

As I stated in my original post, we don't make the playoffs either year with Ramsey. Making the playoffs is better than not making the playoffs. It's not that complicated.

risco

Reaction score
It's been 2 full seasons (minus a bogus 6 game suspension)! Zeke won a rushing title his rookie year and probably would've won a second consecutive rushing title had he not served a 6 game suspension in the middle of the season.

Jalen Ramsey is considered to be a top corner in the National Football League and typically covers the #1 WR on the opposing team.

The Cowboys had an opportunity to draft either player 2 years ago and selected Zeke. At the time I really wanted Jalen Ramsey; however, I'm a bit torn now. I think Zeke is extremely important to this team (probably more important than most people think). With the emergence of Chidobe Awuzie, Jourdan Lewis, and Anthony Brown - I feel pretty 'ok' with our secondary, but Ramsey/Awuzie/Lewis & possibly Brown would be stellar in my opinion.

What are your thoughts?
I’d take Zeke- the coaches here would have screwed Jalen...

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Ramsey. If a guy says Zeke it's just pure Silver and Blue glasses. Now I would have said zeke if there wasn't a life time ban looming at his next mistake. And if he showed better this season when he did play. He just didn't seem to be the same guy as year 1. I get it he's dealing with a lot of stuff. But the fact is he just dudnt look as good

You could possibly give some guys the homer benefit of the doubt after the draft if they didnt know how good Ramsey would be. But for Ramsey to have developed into a top 5 type shut down corner in two years on the best defense in football and STILL say Zeke is inexcusable.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Ramsey was the right call at the time, no doubt about it. We got lucky with the DBs, sort of, this season, but should never have been in a position where 4 starters walked and we had to replace them all in one draft. That's just bad team management, and would have been worse had Anthony Brown not panned out as a 6th rounder that same year. Can you imagine?

Plus, Zeke plays a position that can readily be filled in rounds 2-4. And he was known to have character questions coming out, which did in fact bite us. I'm not absolving Goodell for that witch hunt, but Elliott had no business being in that situation to begin with.
That is why Jax took Leonard Fournette this year in the draft at #4 and not Marshon Lattimore or Deshaun Watson

khiladi

Reaction score
You guys acting like the G Tom Cougyhlin isn’t in Jacksonville now..

They were 25th in the league in defense last year with Ramsey.. his numbers are pretty much identical with this year.

No way his impact is greater than Zeke’s..

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Had we resigned Murray who most on this board couldn’t wait to get rid of, Ramsey would have been the pick. Zeke is better than Murray but there are off the field concerns with him and Murray was more than good enough. Turns out we kept the wrong player between Dez and Murray.

Aven8

Reaction score
Let's see we got the most dynamic offensive player in the league arguably and we are debating a corner??

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You guys acting like the G Tom Cougyhlin isn’t in Jacksonville now..

They were 25th in the league in defense last year with Ramsey.. his numbers are pretty much identical with this year.

No way his impact is greater than Zeke’s..
They were always in the 20s in D before Ramsey....... they were 6th and 2nd the last 2 years..... he is legit good

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Exactly Howard went in the 5th round. We could have taken him instead of Tapper in 2016. We also had plenty of options in 2017 Dalvin Cook -2nd round, Kareem Hunt - 3rd round, and Kamara - 3rd round.
I like Dalvin Cook a lot. Could have taken Henry but wouldn't have got Jaylon Smith.

khiladi

Reaction score
They were always in the 20s in D before Ramsey....... they were 6th and 2nd the last 2 years..... he is legit good

When I say 25th, it was 25th in scoring meaning giving up plenty of points even with Ramsey.

I’m not doubting his skill nor am I going to pretend to watch them to make a definitive judgment, but there seem to be plenty of factors at play.

Jaguars turned the ball over less and their defense dramatically forced a lot of TOs this year. The whole secondary was creating TOs not just Ramsey. Even Church who hardly got INTs here got 4.

That had a new DB coach this year in Perry Fewell too. He’s basically a Coughlin guy and coached them when Tom first came to the Jaguars where he was a phenomenal coach. This guy shut down Brady as well with Coughin against the Patriots the second time.

That being said, he’s probably a guy to look at for us as DC.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

As I stated in my original post, we don't make the playoffs either year with Ramsey. Making the playoffs is better than not making the playoffs. It's not that complicated.

First off, you cant know any of that for sure. Second, who cares if we wouldnt have made the playoffs in 2016 or not? And no, the next 10 years are more important then some random one and done playoff year. As you can plainly see, making the playoffs in 2016 did nothing for us this year. Nothing at all.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Let's see we got the most dynamic offensive player in the league arguably and we are debating a corner??

Oh ya, he was real dynamic this year. And all that Dynamic in 2016 did exactly what for us come playoff time in 2016?