Zeke Overrated and Over Paid?

aria

Reaction score
I’m not so sure Zeke is over rated, he’s above average but has also had the advantage of running behind one of the best O lines in the league since the day he was drafted (and in college). Overpaid? Definitely, most RB’s are.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You’re right, of course... but if you’re looking for logic, you may be looking in the wrong place. This place is all emotion and hyperbola.

A very young and growing team with a 10-6 record gets a wildcard victory, and then a loss in the divisional round of the playoffs? A good season with a young, improving team that needs to learn to get over the hump?

Nope. It is a trash team that sucks because the coaches suck. The talent sucks. The front office sucks... and despite all of that, they were fully expected to make it to the NFC championship game and underachieved by not getting to said game.

You’ll learn after spending a little more time here.
This fanbase reminds me of Veruca Salt sometimes

2c83218026b2c04edabfbfbbfb3ebaab.jpg

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
Ok first leading the league in rushing is an outdated and over rated stat for a RB. Winning the title doesnt mean much, except that RB gets a lot of carries,
and has a pretty good line.
The title should go to the guy with the highest run average , with x # of carries to qualify. ( I am using 100 carries minimum)
Right now there are 7 guys in front of zeke in run average per carry, and that eliminates the 1 less game you mentioned.
He said he was the best, but here he is # 8 in run average for each carry.
There are 9 RB that have 6 or more TD's like elliot, he is # 5 tied with some other guys with 6 td's
He doesnt have any long runs , 11 guys have longer runs.

Lamar jackson is 637 yds, 6.4 avg, which is # 1, but he has 99 carries lol, so after this next game he may be the # 1 rusher !
Amazing for a QB.

But to me these stats, dont tell the real story, like pretty much no team with the leading rusher most yds has ever won a SB, maybe denver in 99.
And to me it is what a RB does in each game to help his team win, and what do they do in the big games and playoffs.
Elliot sputtered to I think 38 yds in the ram playoff game where opposing backs had over 100 each.
He sputtered again early in year and in the 3 losses, then inflates his stats against the weak nyg.
Not all of it is his fault, he doesnt design or call the plays, but there are some things that make him not so great.

one is his vision, he seems to run into guys instead of making a cut, and cut the wrong way on many runs this year.
He hasnt been reliable on 3rd or 4th and short, he gets some, but at key times in big games he doesnt get it.

His main qualitys are he has power if he gets past the DL, and he has been durable, but has lost his speed and stamina, taking himself out
of games due to out of breath, and that is just not being in proper shape.
He has been catching his breath on sideline when a important 3rd down play is happening.

So is he a good power back? yes
He is the best all around back in the league?....... no this changes all the time, right now CMC is and Chubb 2nd, Cook 3rd, and Ingram 4th.

Was he worth the big contract? no he wasnt
Is he over rated? well that depends on who u ask lol , I think he is over rated but still a good RB.
My other issues with elliot, is his off field issues and character which are both kinda seedy, and his ego is just way out of control, and he
really isnt a team player, he is more out to play for and glorify himself.

Do you know that no league, pro, college, high school or peewee uses that as a marker for the best RB. Pity you need to make up a criteria to prove your non-existent point.

DakBringMeBack

Reaction score
Zeke's a bad kid. I know Urban Meyer personally. Know what he told me?

"Since Zeke made that cut agains Alabama in the NCAA playoff and took it to the house for the Buckeyes, he was never the same kid. He went to the dark side. Physically talented but in the tank in his personal life and mentally."

The nose rings, the lapses in hustle. All of that combined and hand him a record contract - what do you think he's doing off the field (ask, I'll tell ya). We are better off without him. Poor decision to pay this guy and again; another reason why we will never win it all with this current core or even get to a Super Bowl.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
I would like to further discuss this, since I've joined I have seen so many post about "Zeke overrated", "Zeke overpaid", "Zeke is average". Can someone demonstrate to me a person who has two rushing titles(would of had three if it wasn't for bs), and is currently 7th in rushing(game behind some people in front of him), and that makes him AVERAGE? By being 7th in the league that means there are roughly 25 starting RB who have less yards than him. Thats above average by definition people. You know whose getting paid that isn't producing, Todd Gurley.

Long Runs- "We need the home run hitter", "Someone like Saquon that got that speed". Another person said that "Home run RB's win games". LOL, lets examine that shall we. Among the top runners with Zeke, Nick Chubb has the longest run so far, it it was ONLY about that home run hitter, than his team would be winning more games, people were saying that they would trade Aaron Jones for Zeke, his longest run is 15.

The fact of it is, Zeke is top 5 running back, and to me the best in the league but im bias, so my unbiased right now CMC is, and Zeke is next. But in no way shape or form will I say I would trade CMC for Zeke. And the people that say, "Zeke only has yards because the offense opens holes", yeah DUH thats the point of the game. Cook, McCaffrey, Fournette lines also block very well on the run, they NEED them too. Don't be hypocrites please. He may not be home run threat, but he plays physical football and runs hard every down; there will always be someone better at something, we just need to be happy we have a back who has been at the top for every season he's been in the league.

You forgot over weight.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
He’s a good back, but he’s overrated by Cowboy fans and overpaid.

I think he’s similar to Mark Ingram, but with more carries.

Cas2800

Reaction score
Zeke has lost his moxie after getting paid. Some folks play to get paid and some play for the love of the game. Zekes holdout shows hes one that cares all about the money. His play now proves it.

Alohawg1

Reaction score
Zeke is not the best back right now, he's just not. Cook is better in every way.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
He’s a good back, but he’s overrated by Cowboy fans and overpaid.
When was the last time you saw Zeke do something and thought... Man there aren't other backs in the league who can do that!

If he doesn't have gaping holes he's useless. He cannot make people miss and he lacks homerun speed. With that in mind and the suspensions and the times he's come in overweight.... What exactly are the redeaming qualities?

Good for Zeke getting paid. I'm always for the players getting what they can. I wish he'd gotten it elsewhere.

Last edited:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
When was the last time you saw Zeke do something and thought... Man there aren't other backs in the league who can do that!

If he doesn't have gaping holes he's useless. He cannot make people miss and he lacks homerun speed. With that in mind and the suspensions and the times he's come in overweight.... What exactly are the redeaming qualities?

Good for Zeke getting paid. I'm always for the players getting what they can. I wish he'd gotten it elsewhere.

Great question. I've been asking it since last year.

We paid top dollar for a guy that's durable and a good pass-protector, but most importantly he's not a dynamic ball carrier that brings a unique play-making ability to the field anymore.

I just posted this on another thread but it's pretty telling evidence...

Compare Zeke with the top peers at his position and look at their long runs and "big" plays (i.e. runs for more than 20+ yards).

Leading-rushers.jpg