Zeke rushing yards compared to Emmitt and Dorsett

yimyammer

Reaction score
Don't know where he's getting his numbers.

+1, its hard to know what "first 2 seasons" means here, he probably should have done the comparisons in each of their first 32 games for a more accurate comparison

erod

Reaction score
Landry stubbornly didn't play Dorsett much his rookie year. They also didn't use Emmitt much his rookie year on a team just finding its way.

Zeke, on the other hand, inherited the best offensive line in football, and they gave him a full load from Day 1.

joseephuss

Reaction score
+1, its hard to know what "first 2 seasons" means here, he probably should have done the comparisons in each of their first 32 games for a more accurate comparison

I think it is pretty straight forward what he means by "first 2 seasons". He got the numbers correct for the running backs he listed except for Dickerson.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Pretty impressive, especially w/o 6 games missed 2017........

Different teams, different coaches, in different eras. For me it's not about who is/was better, I'm just glad Zeke is in the discussion. That's a good thing.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Landry really babied Dorsett, he didnt start until game 6 or 7 and Newhouse got most of the carries in the first playoff game.

That boxscore lists Dorsett with 17 carries for 85 yards and Newhouse with 16 carries for 80 yards. That is still a lot of carries for Newhouse, but the game was completely dominated by Dallas.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Landry stubbornly didn't play Dorsett much his rookie year. They also didn't use Emmitt much his rookie year on a team just finding its way.

Zeke, on the other hand, inherited the best offensive line in football, and they gave him a full load from Day 1.

Emmitt did hold out all of camp his rookie season, so he wasn't ready early in the year. That and Shula was not a good coach.

Reactions: BAT

aria

Reaction score
Total yards are a joke. Did Emmit have as good of an O line as Zeke? No.

Not saying Zeke won’t be as good or better as Emmit but this statistic is one of the worst in football.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Total yards are a joke. Did Emmit have as good of an O line as Zeke? No.

Not saying Zeke won’t be as good or better as Emmit but this statistic is one of the worst in football.
Smith had a great O line. And if you look at the passing numbers they were much lower compared to this era. They ran the ball more.

yimyammer

Reaction score
I think it is pretty straight forward what he means by "first 2 seasons". He got the numbers correct for the running backs he listed except for Dickerson.

Fair enough, we simply disagree

For anyone else who might be looking at it like I am:

In the 1977 the regular season was 14 games plus the Cowboys won the super bowl so they played 17 games

In 78, the regular season switched to 16 games and the cowboys made the super bowl again playing 19 games total

So depending upon how you look at it, Dorsett played or had the opportunity to play in 30 or 36 games

For Dickerson, he had 16 regular season games and 2 playoff games in his rookie year of 1983.
In 1984, he had 16 regular season games and 1 playoff game. So 32 games or 35 if playoffs are included.

For Zeke, he played in 16 games his rookie year plus 1 playoff game, then 10 games his second year since he was suspended 6 for a total of 26 or 27 games in his first 2 years

If only regular season games were considered for the comparison, then

Dorsett had 2,332 yards over a possible 30 games
Dickerson had 2771 yards over a possible 32 games
Zeke had 2614 yards over a possible 26 games
Emmitt had 2500 yards over a possible 32 games

Taking the number of games into account makes Zekes numbers more impressive imo

I didn't go so far as to look and see if each RB played in all the regular season games each year which would change how this data could be interpreted

Bottom line is Zeke is clearly in good company and considering the number of games he was able to accumulate his yards, he appears to have surpassed them all.

lukin2006

Reaction score
And he was suspended for 6 and used lightly in some games by JG otherwise he'd be ahead of the field...best back in football if used correctly...

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Pretty impressive, especially w/o 6 games missed 2017........

Can he stay healthy like E and No way I would question Zeke's desire. Emmitt always said he was going to be the top RB of all time, not sure if Zeke has that desire but the man has always been a winner and knows how to win. He certainly has the desire. The heart? We'll see. Heath is a big big deal with RB's