Zeke smart for holding out last year

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I honestly think he’ll be fine without Frederick as long as he stays in shape, we didn’t have Fred in 2018 and he did well plus Fred wasn’t all that last year. For the team, I hope I’m right but I don’t think one guy on an O line that good will make that big of a difference and I loved Fred and everything he did for this team.
Not having Frederick that one year was when Dak was taking too many sacks. Zeke did do good that year, I think he won the rushing title that season. I hope you are right about Zeke in 2020.

aria

Reaction score
I'll just speak for me but I think he was smart from a personal standpoint. He was being ridden by the offense and he wanted compensation before potentially being let go with little to nothing else from Dallas. As for overpaid or not worth it, this wasn't a 1-year deal. That determination of worth will be made once the decision point comes to retain or release him early from "the contract he signed," which is what we heard so much about while he was in Cabo, lol. Even then it'll be debatable about whether the deal was worth it vs. what else we can get in his place, etc. at that time.
The guaranteed money, his demands to be paid as the highest and going to Cabo are what irked me on top of everything he’s already done. His dumb actions could have got him suspended several times since his original suspension which obviously would have hurt the team.

He could have still practiced with the team in pre season and let his agent tell Jerry that he wouldn’t play a snap if he didn’t get what he wanted. Instead he pulls this Cabo crap. Not to mention, I would have been more “agreeable” if he waited until this year, as opposed to be the first player in NFL history (as far as I know) to throw a tantrum with 2 years left on his contract. I wish every player on the Cowboys would do that to teach Jerry a lesson for being such a moron, not that he would ever learn.

aria

Reaction score
Not having Frederick that one year was when Dak was taking too many sacks. Zeke did do good that year, I think he won the rushing title that season. I hope you are right about Zeke in 2020.
Huh, I wonder if it was because Fred wasn’t in there directing the rest of the O line, if Dak held on too long or something else. Maybe I’m thinking of another player but I thought I heard Looney only gave up one sack that year. Could be well off base though, that almost seems unrealistic.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Exactly. IMHO any true Cowboy fans would view this as an example of the stupidity of the front office, not an example of the intelligence of a player. And if it is an example of the intelligence of a player than it is like saying that player screwed us over good. Does it make people happy when players screw over the Cowboys? I just don't get it.
Ok, you are thinking exactly what I am thinking

aria

Reaction score
Exactly. IMHO any true Cowboy fans would view this as an example of the stupidity of the front office, not an example of the intelligence of a player. And if it is an example of the intelligence of a player than it is like saying that player screwed us over good. Does it make people happy when players screw over the Cowboys? I just don't get it.
:clap:Glad to know some people get it. I essentially said the same thing later in this thread before having read your comment. Quite a few “fans” are in favor of the player at the expense of the team.

I get some players deserve to be paid more than others but I’m not sympathizing with anyone holding out over 5-10 million when they’re already making or set to make several million and be set for life just living off interest. I guess Zeke didn’t think 40 million guaranteed was enough to pay for his collection of expensive purses and his ego, which is bigger than his head, wouldn’t allow him to take anything less than the highest paid RB in the league.

I would lol if Zeke was still tearing it up and the Giants were dumb enough to pay Barkley more than Zeke then Zeke threw another tantrum and sat out again until they restructured his contract. Jerry would be dumb enough to do it.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
With Todd Gurley getting cut, and Melvin Gordon getting a much lower contract, Zeke was dang smart to hold out last season, instead of waiting for this year.
Zeke is smart. Zeke is the best RB. Zeke makes everyone in here look foolish. Zeke again is the very best! We all love you Zeke!

aria

Reaction score
@JoeKing thanks for getting me riled up! (too easy) I was planning on enjoying a nice day of Netflixing and perhaps a drink or five. Guess I’ll have to make it 10 now to take the edge off. Jerk :p

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
With Todd Gurley getting cut, and Melvin Gordon getting a much lower contract, Zeke was dang smart to hold out last season, instead of waiting for this year.

Neither of those two RB ever led the league in rushing let alone twice in 4 years. Nor has he missed a game due to injury in 4 years. Elliott may not have gotten quite as much this season but then it would have been another big contract besides Prescott's, Cooper's that they got and Quinn and Jones that walked.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Agree 100 percent.

Zeke had all the leverage.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
According to Cowboys Zone he was an idiot that still had two years left on his contract and needs to man up. If he played out his contract there is a good chance he would not get a second contract worth anything with anyone let alone the Cowboys.

Still too much #ZekeHate around here.

He's supposed to be paid league min, rush for 2k yards a season, score 15TDs, and not get hurt.

or he stinks.

#ZekeHate

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Honestly, I love it. In a league where pay for performance is the name of the game, I'll take a big contract halfway through a rookie contract every damn day.

Prorate a SB over the last 2 years of a rookie contract and end up with a contract that is pay-for-play when a player is 29 or 30? Count me in!

I really think the handling of Zeke's contract should be the standard. Not the holdout part, but just extend the guy after 2 or 3 years, if they are worth it. Don't sit around for the final year or option year. If they don't agree, then you let them play it out, franchise them once, and then move on. Suck up all the good years they have. 6 years of Zeke is still worth his draft position if the cost minimized due to the rookie contract structuring.

People (me included) view draft picks as sacred cows. Start viewing them as low-cost free agents up-front. Zeke signed a rookie deal in 2016 for $16M. He's now signed through 2026 and if Dallas cuts him after the 2024 offseason, he'll have been a 9-year, $94M player, and will have no dead money on the books. That seems like a win to me.

His contract may ultimately be one of the best contracts the Jones' ever signed. Premiere player who can be cut at the age of 28 or 29 for damn near nothing in terms of dead cap space. How is that not a Godsend?

blueblood70

Reaction score
I wasn't a fan of resigning zeke, but what " quit " have you seen in him?
non its hater talk he taps out 3 times all year and Pollard fumbles it was all zeke being fat out of shape and being tired even though he was one of the leaders in carries and also in more then most backs on 3 downs seriously overreaction by fans.. dude played hard all 16 games and finished top 4? its that group of haters that keep TRYIONG to slander a top back in this league that wears the star..its sad really..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Emmitt was made of steal...
really his shoulder says different, oh the broken finger in the helmet on that stiff arm in MN, couldn't finish the game, he would have had near 300 if he didnt have that happen....why does it matter?.. ES was a volume back with limited speed or splash plays same as zeke.. they both are durable and very similar backs..embrace it..he wears the star..jeez