Zeke smart for holding out last year

aria

Reaction score
He played for the Cowboys and deserved his cash.
Ranch, with all due respect buddy, I don’t care what he “deserved“. Football is a business and NO RB is worth what they payed him, “deserved” or not. If they payed everyone what they “deserved” than Bailey should have been the highest paid player on the team for several years.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
really his shoulder says different, oh the broken finger in the helmet on that stiff arm in MN, couldn't finish the game, he would have had near 300 if he didnt have that happen....why does it matter?.. ES was a volume back with limited speed or splash plays same as zeke.. they both are durable and very similar backs..embrace it..he wears the star..jeez
Emmitt looks like Barry Sanders compared to Zeke.

KDM256

Reaction score
Don't get the Zeke hate around here either. Kid has put up solid production since joining the Cowboys and was paid for as such. Not only did Zeke get his payday, still managed to put up "Top 5" numbers in Rushing, Rushing Attempts, and Touchdowns at the RB position while Dak was on a contract year boosting his stats up to justify his payday.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ranch, with all due respect buddy, I don’t care what he “deserved“. Football is a business and NO RB is worth what they payed him, “deserved” or not. If they payed everyone what they “deserved” than Bailey should have been the highest paid player on the team for several years.
It works both ways. Jerry was stupid to pay it, I agree, but Zeke was smart to get what he wanted.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
It wasn’t that surprising to me.

This board had dozens of fans who were saying “just wear Zeke out for 5 years, run him into the ground and let him walk after his rookie contract is over”.

Then they acted surprised when Zeke held out before that could happen.
As many said....don't negotiate and if he sat out then go with the backs on the roster.

FO caved and you still have fans stupidly thinking it was a smart decision to pay Zeke.

aria

Reaction score
Don't get the Zeke hate around here either. Kid has put up solid production since joining the Cowboys and was paid for as such. Not only did Zeke get his payday, still managed to put up "Top 5" numbers in Rushing, Rushing Attempts, and Touchdowns at the RB position while Dak was on a contract year boosting his stats up to justify his payday.
Oh boy...maybe his production has to do with having the top O line in the league his rookie year, the second best rushing O line in the league last year, and a top 10 O line in ‘17 and ‘18.

Maybe it has to do with his immaturity, selfishness, bullying and overall off the field behavior that has put him and therefore the team at jeopardy. Maybe it has to do with holding out with 2 years left on his contact which was unprecedented AND demanding to be the highest paid RB in the league. Maybe it has to do with demanding to be paid as the best RB and then he taps out on critical plays.

He’s a knucklehead but I’m glad everyone is happy he bent Jerry over thus making the team worse in the process. Yay Zeke!

aria

Reaction score
It works both ways. Jerry was stupid to pay it, I agree, but Zeke was smart to get what he wanted.
Again, I give credit to Zeke’s agent. He’s too dumb to come up with that on his own. I swear on my life, if I played for a team I truly cared about, was already making several million dollars and knew that if I sacrificed a few million then I would have a chance at achieving my dream of winning a SB than I wouldn’t haggle or sit out over that extra 5-10 million, even 20 depending on how much I was already making.

I don’t get it man, if I had a chance just to play in the NFL I would do it for free and then you have guys like Zeke who have taken it to the extreme by holding out with 2 years left on his contract demanding to be paid the highest at his position, which is such an insignificant amount in the grand scheme of things, because of his agent and his own ego.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Oh boy...maybe his production has to do with having the top O line in the league his rookie year, the second best rushing O line in the league last year, and a top 10 O line in ‘17 and ‘18.

Maybe it has to do with his immaturity, selfishness, bullying and overall off the field behavior that has put him and therefore the team at jeopardy. Maybe it has to do with holding out with 2 years left on his contact which was unprecedented AND demanding to be the highest paid RB in the league. Maybe it has to do with demanding to be paid as the best RB and then he taps out on critical plays.

He’s a knucklehead but I’m glad everyone is happy he bent Jerry over thus making the team worse in the process. Yay Zeke!
If we drafted Henry in 2016 we would have had more success. Henry would be much more successful behind our line than Zeke. Dude can actually break a tackle and make someone miss. Best stiff arm in the game, too.

Loso86

Reaction score
Why do we complain and rail when they don't get paid a top contract? This is not about getting paid more then a fan. I don't believe that's what drives all of this. Cowboy fans are tired of losing. They are tired of settling for average play and they understand that this is a cap league. I don't think most fans really care at all, how much or how little any given player is making. They only care because it effects the overall quality of the team and that effects winning.

If I had my own business and I produced a product that was average, at best, over the past 20 years, I think that there would be a very good chance that I would be out of business. That's what the fans are being asked to support and I can't really blame them for not being willing to just support that.
I agree completely. I also think if thsts the case some of these threads and comments should be specified in what they actually feel

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
As a fan of the Cowboys I would never side with a player who holds out, it's all about how productive they can be not how rich they can become.
As a fan, you need to realize that your opinion is absolutely irrelevant.

For most players, it is about how much money they make. Fans care about winning. Players generally don't.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
If we drafted Henry in 2016 we would have had more success. Henry would be much more successful behind our line than Zeke. Dude can actually break a tackle and make someone miss. Best stiff arm in the game, too.
Henry is half the back Zeke is. He is completely useless if he doesn't get a head of steam.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Henry is half the back Zeke is. He is completely useless if he doesn't get a head of steam.
Nice try. Zeke would be shut down if he had to face as many stacked boxes as Henry has had to face.

aria

Reaction score
I’d like to see what Barkley could do with as much room as Zeke has to run, I think he’d be taking it to the house every game.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I’d like to see what Barkley could do with as much room as Zeke has to run, I think he’d be taking it to the house every game.
And I'd like to have seen Zeke run behind the Giants line the past 2 seasons.

vlad

Reaction score
With Todd Gurley getting cut, and Melvin Gordon getting a much lower contract, Zeke was dang smart to hold out last season, instead of waiting for this year.

Agree. And Stephen was stupid for caving to him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

But in the right Offense, if you can keep him clean in the backfield, he can be just as effective, perhaps even more so.

Every system has it's strengths and weaknesses. Take Detriot for example, back in the Sanders years. They actually had a lot of talent along that Line but they didn't always get the credit because of Sanders running style. Yeah, he would break one for 60 but he would also turn in negative carries a lot. That's because of how he ran. You couldn't design a blocking scheme for him because he would never follow it. He just ran to daylight where ever he saw it. If that meant reversing field twice then that's what it was. Wasn't the same with Emmitt. You drew up a play and you knew Emmitt was going to get you 3 or 4 yards as sure as daylight. It's the same with all the backs we are talking about in this thread.

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It wasn’t that surprising to me.

This board had dozens of fans who were saying “just wear Zeke out for 5 years, run him into the ground and let him walk after his rookie contract is over”.

Then they acted surprised when Zeke held out before that could happen.
:laugh:That is so true.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again, I give credit to Zeke’s agent. He’s too dumb to come up with that on his own. I swear on my life, if I played for a team I truly cared about, was already making several million dollars and knew that if I sacrificed a few million then I would have a chance at achieving my dream of winning a SB than I wouldn’t haggle or sit out over that extra 5-10 million, even 20 depending on how much I was already making.

I don’t get it man, if I had a chance just to play in the NFL I would do it for free and then you have guys like Zeke who have taken it to the extreme by holding out with 2 years left on his contract demanding to be paid the highest at his position, which is such an insignificant amount in the grand scheme of things, because of his agent and his own ego.
I would have held out for an 18 pack of Chingon beer!!!! Salud!!

aria

Reaction score
And I'd like to have seen Zeke run behind the Giants line the past 2 seasons.
I guarantee if our line was equivalent to the Giants O line people would say Zeke is the best but has nowhere to run yet that never seems to come up when comparing him to Barkley.

People complain about Barkley dancing around too much, which he does to a small degree, but I think it’s extremely over exaggerated. If you watch his film, he HAS to dance around on most (not all) plays because there’s nowhere to run. Zeke would run straight into a brick wall and get a yard where Barkley would at least get 2-3 from making the first defenders miss.