Zeke smart for holding out last year

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Exactly. IMHO any true Cowboy fans would view this as an example of the stupidity of the front office, not an example of the intelligence of a player. And if it is an example of the intelligence of a player than it is like saying that player screwed us over good. Does it make people happy when players screw over the Cowboys? I just don't get it.

You don't have to be happy about it to acknowledge it was a smart move. I was saying the whole time to go with Pollard.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Nice try. Zeke would be shut down if he had to face as many stacked boxes as Henry has had to face.
Lol, has nothing to do with "stacked boxes" of which nobody faces more than Zeke.

Henry is useless if he can't run straight into a hole. He would literally be non-funcitonal in our offense.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
With Todd Gurley getting cut, and Melvin Gordon getting a much lower contract, Zeke was dang smart to hold out last season, instead of waiting for this year.
What makes you think he’s not next

HungryLion

Reaction score
While there are of course outliers, a study was done in early 2014 that studied running back performance and decline based on total career touches. Their findings showed that:

"It’s apparent that a running back’s efficiency peaks in the season in which they reach 2,250 touches. From the season that a back reaches 2,500 touches and beyond, however, there is a sharp decline in efficiency..."

For reference sake regarding Ezekiel Elliott, he has to date amassed a total of 1,357 career touches (NFL only; in college he had a total of 650 career touches) and has 'averaged' 340 touches per year in his 4 year NFL career.

If stats hold true in terms of decline, if his per season touches average holds true, you should start to see a decline (barring injury) in just over 3 seasons or after the 2022 season.

As it relates to his contract, here is what is left:

2020 $10.9M cap hit $25.8M dead money

2021 $13.7M cap hit $14.9M dead money

2022 $16.5M cap hit $10.8M dead money

2023 $15M cap hit $6.7M dead money

2024 $12.6M cap hit $2.6M dead money

2025 $15.4M cap hit $0 dead money

2026 $16.6M cap hit $0 dead money

So to correlate the decline versus contract, Dallas seems to have negotiated the contract in line with the decline statistics as the earliest affordable release date would be after the 2022 season.

Good post. I agree. The cowboys are able to cut Zeke by the time his production starts to decline.

I’m not worried about it.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
With Todd Gurley getting cut, and Melvin Gordon getting a much lower contract, Zeke was dang smart to hold out last season, instead of waiting for this year.
And JJ & SJ were dumb for signing him before they had to. What they should have done is sign Dak for at least showing up for camp and being the good soldier. Then you would have gotten Dak a lot cheaper and Zeke a lot cheaper. Now the standard has been set for how to get a big contract in Dallas. Refuse needed surgery despite it potentially affecting your play on the field and thus hurting the team and hold out until a week before the season starts missing meaningful practice snaps in a new offense.....worked for DLaw and Zeke....it will work for Dak too if he has the guts to do it.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The guaranteed money, his demands to be paid as the highest and going to Cabo are what irked me on top of everything he’s already done. His dumb actions could have got him suspended several times since his original suspension which obviously would have hurt the team.

He could have still practiced with the team in pre season and let his agent tell Jerry that he wouldn’t play a snap if he didn’t get what he wanted. Instead he pulls this Cabo crap. Not to mention, I would have been more “agreeable” if he waited until this year, as opposed to be the first player in NFL history (as far as I know) to throw a tantrum with 2 years left on his contract. I wish every player on the Cowboys would do that to teach Jerry a lesson for being such a moron, not that he would ever learn.

If he practiced and hurt himself to where he's out for 6 weeks, the team would use that to say they shouldn't pay him for games they're not going to get a return on so practice was never going to happen. So whether he was in Cabo or hanging around outside the Star is immaterial really so that's just pile-on to me. Quite sure Zeke wasn't the first to ever do it with 2 years left on his contract, certainly not the first to get paid with 2 years left so a lot of this is just fans wanting to be kept comfortable and have Zeke do what they wanted him to do and now hating him because he didn't. The end result is the same for him as far as mission accomplished goes.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I doubt he anticipated those things happening, so I don't know if smart is the right word as much as fortuitous.

Qcard

Reaction score
While there are of course outliers, a study was done in early 2014 that studied running back performance and decline based on total career touches. Their findings showed that:

"It’s apparent that a running back’s efficiency peaks in the season in which they reach 2,250 touches. From the season that a back reaches 2,500 touches and beyond, however, there is a sharp decline in efficiency..."

For reference sake regarding Ezekiel Elliott, he has to date amassed a total of 1,357 career touches (NFL only; in college he had a total of 650 career touches) and has 'averaged' 340 touches per year in his 4 year NFL career.

If stats hold true in terms of decline, if his per season touches average holds true, you should start to see a decline (barring injury) in just over 3 seasons or after the 2022 season.

As it relates to his contract, here is what is left:

2020 $10.9M cap hit $25.8M dead money

2021 $13.7M cap hit $14.9M dead money

2022 $16.5M cap hit $10.8M dead money

2023 $15M cap hit $6.7M dead money

2024 $12.6M cap hit $2.6M dead money

2025 $15.4M cap hit $0 dead money

2026 $16.6M cap hit $0 dead money

So to correlate the decline versus contract, Dallas seems to have negotiated the contract in line with the decline statistics as the earliest affordable release date would be after the 2022 season.
This is why I Love Stephen Jones!

Great post @USArmyVet! Thank you for your service?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Had he waited he would have never got his money. Once his contract was up we could have franchised him a couple of times and moved on. The Jets could cut Le’Veon Bell after next season and he’ll only end up with 26 million. I say only but that’s still a lot of money.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Lol, has nothing to do with "stacked boxes" of which nobody faces more than Zeke.

Henry is useless if he can't run straight into a hole. He would literally be non-funcitonal in our offense.
Lol Zeke needs a whole too. He can’t create on his own like Henry can. I’ve never seen Zeke get hit 2 yards behind the LOS, break the tackle, make Brandon Carr miss and then gallop 66 yards like Henry did in the playoffs.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Emmitt looks like Barry Sanders compared to Zeke.
n o he didnt dudes yearly TPC avg was below 4 many more years then they weren't ..too bad you cant heck stats before you speak..ES was a pure volume back, more so then Zeke..He had ONE season with an avg over 5 and many 4.3, 4.4 4.5 and his last few year under 4 trying to get the record,,funny how you think you remember every carry and evet game and every year 25 years after Emmitt retired..go look at the stats brah.then come back and apologize..

the very thing year 4 Zeke is being accused if is pure Emmitt Smith.. Barry sanders was in league of his own with moves and splash plays ,,

Praxit

Reaction score
..smart..nah. Lucky yeah. Lucky in the fact he has a dumb owner who has to much money to handle.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
n o he didnt dudes yearly TPC avg was below 4 many more years then they weren't ..too bad you cant heck stats before you speak..ES was a pure volume back, more so then Zeke..He had ONE season with an avg over 5 and many 4.3, 4.4 4.5 and his last few year under 4 trying to get the record,,funny how you think you remember every carry and evet game and every year 25 years after Emmitt retired..go look at the stats brah.then come back and apologize..

the very thing year 4 Zeke is being accused if is pure Emmitt Smith.. Barry sanders was in league of his own with moves and splash plays ,,
Emmitt could take it the distance. Zeke hasn’t in 3 years.

blueblood70

Reaction score
If we drafted Henry in 2016 we would have had more success. Henry would be much more successful behind our line than Zeke. Dude can actually break a tackle and make someone miss. Best stiff arm in the game, too.
zeke breaks a lot of tackles, cuts back and makes yards,..its insane all the fake news your memory hold..no he doesnt shake and bake a lot ,its nt his game.. you are a hater troll and its obvious..you are making **** up saying never makes people miss and goes for bigger yards,,NEVER LMAO:lmao:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
zeke breaks a lot of tackles, cuts back and makes yards,..its insane all the fake news your memory hold..no he doesnt shake and bake a lot ,its nt his game.. you are a hater troll and its obvious..you are making **** up saying never makes people miss and goes for bigger yards,,NEVER LMAO:lmao:
No he doesn’t break a lot of tackles.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Emmitt could take it the distance. Zeke hasn’t in 3 years.
he hardly took any the distance..again bad memory..stop your hate trolling guess what EE is signed he will be cowboy for sometime , you might want to support the star above the 21 and stop ripping your own players like they are eagles..ignorance is bliss I guess..