Zeke vs Barkley: Which is best RB in NFL?

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Barkley has played one year. What happens if he has a regression this year? Zeke has proven his capabilities over a three year span.

Another thing, if Zeke played for the Steelers, and put up these numbers; the Dallas fans that bash him, would unequivocally say he was the best, with no argument.

Reactions: BAT

DanA

Reaction score
I the box is stacked I'll take Zeke. If it's not I'd take Barkley.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I think they are both great RBs!
Barkley takes better care of himself is a workout warrior and is faster than Zeke.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Splitting hairs, but Barkley if I had to pick one. And Gurley has to be in this conversation if his knee is not an issue. Barkley, Zeke and Gurley are a 1a, 1b and 1c situation. Take your pick. It's akin to the old Smith and Barry arguments. Throw Gurley in there who's like Dickerson...

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Ah, just what in the hell does that have to do with what I was talking about? I was talking strictly about Emmitt Smith in this post and using Rice as an example. This particular post had NOTHING to do with Elliott or Barkley. You Buzzard fans are a stupid bunch.

Your example was specifically about Elliot and Barkley, but it can’t be because the analogy you used doesn’t work.

If it has nothing to do with those two, why did you post it in this thread? And why were you responding to my post about Elliot and Barkley if you weren’t using your example toward Elliot and Barkley?

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Your example was specifically about Elliot and Barkley, but it can’t be because the analogy you used doesn’t work.

If it has nothing to do with those two, why did you post it in this thread? And why were you responding to my post about Elliot and Barkley if you weren’t using your example toward Elliot and Barkley?
Moron.

Jipper

Reaction score
Zeke has done more than Barkley to this point so have to give it to zeke until Barkley has a few more seasons....but on pure talent they are both pretty close overall but kinda like emitt vs Barry....

kskboys

Reaction score
I think they are both great RBs!
Barkley takes better care of himself is a workout warrior and is faster than Zeke.
And Zeke is much better at getting the tough inside yardage.

Honestly, it's so silly that people keep touting the strength of one back to declare he's better than the other. These guys are almost polar opposites.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Inside 10 yards Zeke outside of 10, Bark
I guess you missed the fact that Zeke also has more 20/30/40yard runs then most any back in the league..he may not have many over that for TDs but the dude not just short yardage guy, hes fast, can jump high, stretches out, bulls over people and can block/catch..

people keep trying to somehow make zeke a non explosive back and thats NOT TRUE..he may not have the same wheels Barkley has for the longer Td runs but he runs for long yardage consistently..

Zeke best 3 down back in the league, period..maybe not the absolute most explosive back but the dude can do everything..

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'm tempted to say Barkley. He has a 1 year sample vs Zeke's 3, but he did more with less last year than Elliott did.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Barkley is probably the more explosive player but Zeke is the better overall RB. His smarts in the protection game and ability to wear a team down like Emmitt used to do give him a slight edge, IMO.

As another poster said, this is like the old Barry vs. Emmitt conversations. Both superstars in the league and both with completely different running styles but both with crazy good talent. One is just better than the other at being exceptional in ALL aspects of the game. Barkley is flashy and can burn you at a moment's notice. Zeke will just straight up pound the will out of you. There's merits to both styles. I just prefer the better all around back. For me it's Zeke (and was Emmitt).

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I guess you missed the fact that Zeke also has more 20/30/40yard runs then most any back in the league..he may not have many over that for TDs but the dude not just short yardage guy, hes fast, can jump high, stretches out, bulls over people and can block/catch..

people keep trying to somehow make zeke a non explosive back and thats NOT TRUE..he may not have the same wheels Barkley has for the longer Td runs but he runs for long yardage consistently..

Zeke best 3 down back in the league, period..maybe not the absolute most explosive back but the dude can do everything..

“I guess you missed the fact that Zeke also has more 20/30/40yard runs then most any back in the league.

Do you have any actual data supporting your claim?

HungryLion

Reaction score
Zeke is better for short yardage running. If it’s 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1. I take Zeke over Barkley every time.

Zeke is better at power running.

Barkley is the more dynamic big play guy. He has a better top end gear. He can make people miss better than Zeke can.

Both are awesome in their own ways.

PoetTree

Reaction score
To be honest, I think where Barkley has the edge on Zeke (when it comes to velocity) is in acceleration, not speed. I think both backs have very similar top-end speed but Barkley has the edge in acceleration, slightly. This is evidenced by the 10-yard-splits from their 40s @ the Combine:

Barkley --1.54

Elliott --1.58

... listen: both of those figures are exceptional, particularly for men of their size. Each back has exceptional acceleration & quickness; Barkley's is just a little more exceptional. He gets there a little quicker. But when both men are at a full-sprint, I think they have very similar top-end speed.

This can be seen throughout the acceleration-band, as @ 20-yards each man ran:

Barkley --2.57

Elliott --2.62

.... Saquon adding a .01-second lead from his 10-yard-split at the halfway mark, showing that he's still (very marginally) accelerating faster than Zeke. And finally, their full 40-yard-dash times:

Barkley --4.40

Elliott --4.47

..... Saquon adding another .02 to his lead, with neither man having hit their top-speed yet, which is typically achieved around the 60-meter mark in a 100-meter-dash.

Through 40-yards @ the Combine, Saquon achieved 18.59mph

Through 40-yards @ the Combine, Ezekiel achieved 18.30mph

In the NFL, their respective top-recorded-speed so far is:

Barkley --21.91

Elliott --21.80

Saquon's came on a 78-yard rush against Washington. Zeke's came on a 55-yard scamper versus the Lions. Barkley had ample runway, with no defenders in front of him, to achieve top-speed. Zeke had to avoid safety Glover Quinn toward the sideline and had a comparatively abbreviated runway at the attempt.

I believe both men are capable of hitting over 22mph under the right circumstances. In fact, based on my rough calculations, Elliott averaged over 22mph on his game-winning 85yd TD against Alabama in the playoffs.

The point being, in terms of maximum speed, I think each are very comparative; that is, hard-to-catch. But neither are the fastest man in the league. Remember, Barkley got run down from behind by our own Jeff Heath last season in the Giants' last game. Which is not an insult to Barkley; Heath has got tremendous speed and also has running down Calvin Johnson from behind on his resume, so at least Barkley's in good company.

What really sets Barkley apart from most other players is his acceleration. This is where he demonstrates the biggest advantage over Zeke in their test-numbers, bursting through the first 10-yards @ .04 faster. He's got more fast-twitch explosion than Zeke, who is nonetheless an extremely rare athlete in his own right in that regard.

Where this shows up on the field, in my opinion, is mostly stylistically. Barkley is a stop-&-start runner, an east-to-wester who likes to reverse field, use his uncommon athleticism to freelance, and be the best that 'he' can be on each & every play. Don't remember the exact quote, but he said something last year to the extent that he feels it's his job to try to score on every play. If possible, Saquon will do everything in his prodigious power to avoid as much contact as possible. His freakish acceleration and short-area burst aid him tremendously in those efforts.

Zeke, on the other hand, is more of a one-cut, north-&-south sprinter with vision that scouts nigh-universally praised as "rare" or "special" or "historic". He runs with the intention to initiate contact, to out-physical the defense (his words), and yet possesses elite quickness, long-speed, and stamina to hit the home-run when the opportunity is there. He is currently the most physical, punishing runner in the league and the most consistent, highest-volume yardage-machine in the game. Unlike Barkley, Elliott is not looking for the home-run on every handoff but rather the maximum yardage available on every given play.

You'll have to reach your own conclusions about which back represents the better NFL player. In my opinion, a lot of people crowning Barkley are doing so based more on his eye-popping athleticism & one-of-a-kind plays he can pull off; and not necessarily on individual contribution to team-winning.

There's a reason Emmitt Smith won 3 Super Bowls and is the all-time leading-rusher in post-season history as well; while Barry Sanders is ringless, has 1 career playoff win, and left one of his playoff performances with negative yards.

Zeke is not Smith.

Barkley is not Barry.

But the stylistic comparisons are relevant nonetheless.

--on the subject of which back is faster, I believe it is ostensibly a push; they each crown out at around 22mph. Barkley gets there a couple ticks quicker. It's an asset, no doubt...

:starspin: