Zierlein: 2016 NFL Draft: Wentz, Goff lead deep quarterback class

RS12

Reaction score
Top 5 players

1. Carson Wentz: Still in developmental phase after just two years at an FCS program, but has the mental and physical building blocks of a future, franchise quarterback.

2. Jared Goff: His accuracy and decision making will suffer from occasional lapses, but he displays the tools to become a good starting quarterback with time.

3. Paxton Lynch: While he has the physical tools to start right away, a team who is willing to allow him to sit and study his craft for a year could reap maximum rewards in the future.

4. Connor Cook: Cook flashes the potential of an NFL starter, but he has the makeup of game manager over playmaker.

5. Christian Hackenberg:Hackenberg's tools, intelligence and experience under center should make him an eventual starter, but his boom-or-bust potential could either get a coach an extension or fired.

Sources Tell Us

"Wentz really blew us away at the combine when we met with him. Talent is a big component, but these guys have to have intangibles if they are going to lead franchises, and he's got them. I don't care where he played, he understands the game and it isn't too big for him." -- AFC team executive

Most overrated

Dak Prescott: I don't agree with the masses when it comes to Prescott being the sleeper at the position. A sharp increase in his short game passing attempts helped to skew some of his data in a more favorable light, but there were still issues with some of his intermediate throws and with getting through his progressions. I love his size and football character, but I see him as a career backup, not as a starter in the NFL.

Most underrated

Jacoby Brissett: Brandon Allen could fit in here, but he's getting more love nationally. Brissett gets the occasional side-eye before people move to the next quarterback, but that might be a mistake. Despite facing enormous pass rush for consecutive seasons, Brissett still found ways to fight through the pocket noise and make plays. He has NFL size, an NFL arm, and experience under center. With an ability to extend plays with his feet and throw on the move, Brissett offers a skill-set that matches up with what teams look for in today's game.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-draft-wentz-goff-lead-deep-quarterback-class

BlueNSilver88

Throwing up the X
Reaction score
I'd like to trade down to #7 with SF, pick up extra ammo, pick Elliot or BPA defensive player at that slot, then try to use the extra ammo to trade back up to the 1st to pick up Lynch. If a QB is going to sit regardless behind Romo, Lynch might be the best for that time period (I.e., I think his ceiling is higher)

BlueNSilver88

Throwing up the X
Reaction score
I could also see an argument for just not getting "cute" and simply taking Lynch at #4. I would be okay with that too, if the FO thinks he has long-term potential

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
I'd like to trade down to #7 with SF, pick up extra ammo, pick Elliot or BPA defensive player at that slot, then try to use the extra ammo to trade back up to the 1st to pick up Lynch. If a QB is going to sit regardless behind Romo, Lynch might be the best for that time period (I.e., I think his ceiling is higher)

Why waste picks to trade back up? Just take lynch at 7 if he's what you want. Use the other picks to fill out the roster.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Jacoby Brissett: Brandon Allen could fit in here, but he's getting more love nationally. Brissett gets the occasional side-eye before people move to the next quarterback, but that might be a mistake. Despite facing enormous pass rush for consecutive seasons, Brissett still found ways to fight through the pocket noise and make plays. He has NFL size, an NFL arm, and experience under center. With an ability to extend plays with his feet and throw on the move, Brissett offers a skill-set that matches up with what teams look for in today's game.

You gotta like the depth of position at QB late for the Cowboys, Brissett and Allen especially. There are more than the usual number of legitimate QB prospects in a deep 2016 Quarterback Draft.

BET

Last edited: