Zierlein Mock 1.0 1/30/18

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-mock-draft-10-darnold-barkley-bolster-browns

1. Cleveland Browns - Sam Darnold QB USC
2. New York Giants - Josh Rosen QB UCLA
3. Indianapolis Colts - Bradley Chubb DE North Carolina St.
4. Cleveland Browns (Houston) - Saquon Barkley RB Penn St.
5. Denver Broncos - Quenton Nelson G Notre Dame
6. New York Jets - Josh Allen QB Wyoming
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Minkah Fitzpatrick DB Alabama
8. Chicago Bears - Denzel Ward CB Ohio St.
9. San Francisco 49ers - Tremaine Edmunds LB Virginia Tech
10. Oakland Raiders - Roquan Smith LB Georgia
11. Miami Dolphins - Baker Mayfield QB Oklahoma
12. Cincinnati Bengals - Orlando Brown T Oklahoma
13. Washington Commanders - Vita Vea DT Washington
14. Green Bay Packers - Josh Jackson CB Iowa
15. Arizona Cardinals - Connor Williams T Texas
16. Baltimore Ravens - Calvin Ridley WR Alabama
17. Los Angeles Chargers - Da'Ron Payne DT Alabama
18. Seattle Seahawks - Derwin James S Florida St.

19. Dallas Cowboys - Maurice Hurst DT Michigan
Hurst-to-Dallas feels like one of the cleanest fits in this mock. Rod Marinelli wants more rush from the interior, and Hurst fits his scheme and style.

20. Detroit Lions - Marcus Davenport DE UTSA
21. Buffalo Bills - Billy Price C Ohio St.
22. Buffalo Bills (Kansas City) - Rashaan Evans LB Alabama
23. Los Angeles Rams - Isaiah Oliver CB Colorado
24. Carolina Panthers - Jamarco Jones T Ohio St.
25. Tennessee Titans - Harold Landry LB Boston College
26. Atlanta Falcons - Isaiah Wynn G Georgia
27. New Orleans Saints - Dallas Goedert TE South Dakota St.
28. Pittsburgh Steelers - Ronnie Harrison S Alabama
29. Jacksonville Jaguars - Lamar Jackson QB Louisville
30. Minnesota Vikings - Mike McGlinchey T Notre Dame
31. Philadelphia Eagles - Will Hernandez G UTEP
32. New England Patriots - Mike Hughes CB UCF

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Notice who Zierlein compares Hurst to in his breakdown.

Strengths
Has disruptive initial quickness when ball is snapped. Comes off the ball low and looking to eat in the backfield. Once he gets into the gap, can get skinny and slither through. Too quick for blockers to reach or trap. Motor and movement get him access to the pocket as a rusher. Flurries with his hands like a lightweight boxer. Bats away early punch attempts creating balance advantages. Light feet help him bounce from gap to gap challenging slow-footed linemen. Makes plays well beyond his gap thanks to quickness and plus motor. Quick to punch and disengage against move blocks on outside zone. Effective in twist game.

Weaknesses
Is smallish for interior life. Doesn't have the thick frame that lends itself to adding a lot more functional mass. Big maulers can give him the blues when they square him up. A firm punch will bounce him way out of his rush lane. Has to close the gap on longer, stronger blockers or he gets in trouble. Uses forward lean to create power that upper body is lacking. Goes head-first into initial contact and loses sight of the ball. Sticks to blocks and is slow to shed. Pass rush comes from movement and twists over hand usage and rush counters.

Draft Projection
Rounds 1-2

NFL Comparison
Maliek Collins

Bottom Line
Hurst is an upfield three-technique who gets out of the blocks ahead of his competition as soon as the starter's pistol goes off. His ability to come out fast and low should create opportunities to become a disruptive penetrator, but he has to prove that he has the strength to play through redirect blocks and hold up against NFL interior linemen.

-Lance Zierlein

Hardline

Reaction score
Will ex Wolverine teammates Taco Charlton and Jauron Lewis welcome him to town?
I would consider a small trade back with that many quality players left on the board.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Now wouldn't that be sweet?
and with the high draft pick, we could add (likely top 5 pick) Rashan Gary in 2019. Wolverines all around.

Rashan-Gary.jpg

KDM256

Reaction score
If the draft went in this order, I would pass on Hurst and take my chances on Rashaan Evans to go along with Smith and Lee. Kid has amazing close-out speed, which is something we're missing at the linebacker position.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In that scenario, I'd probably take a chance on Davenport.

I think Davenport might be the only one they would consider taking over hurst if it fail like that.

I was looking at the rest of the group left and I don't see them taking most of them at 19...maybe a trade down.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Take it from a guy who wrote an 500 word, 10 GIF scouting report on Collins coming out of Nebraska (RIP boards.dallascowboys.com) - Hurst has way more power than Collins does.

Aven8

Reaction score
Notice who Zierlein compares Hurst to in his breakdown.

Strengths
Has disruptive initial quickness when ball is snapped. Comes off the ball low and looking to eat in the backfield. Once he gets into the gap, can get skinny and slither through. Too quick for blockers to reach or trap. Motor and movement get him access to the pocket as a rusher. Flurries with his hands like a lightweight boxer. Bats away early punch attempts creating balance advantages. Light feet help him bounce from gap to gap challenging slow-footed linemen. Makes plays well beyond his gap thanks to quickness and plus motor. Quick to punch and disengage against move blocks on outside zone. Effective in twist game.

Weaknesses
Is smallish for interior life. Doesn't have the thick frame that lends itself to adding a lot more functional mass. Big maulers can give him the blues when they square him up. A firm punch will bounce him way out of his rush lane. Has to close the gap on longer, stronger blockers or he gets in trouble. Uses forward lean to create power that upper body is lacking. Goes head-first into initial contact and loses sight of the ball. Sticks to blocks and is slow to shed. Pass rush comes from movement and twists over hand usage and rush counters.

Draft Projection
Rounds 1-2

NFL Comparison
Maliek Collins

Bottom Line
Hurst is an upfield three-technique who gets out of the blocks ahead of his competition as soon as the starter's pistol goes off. His ability to come out fast and low should create opportunities to become a disruptive penetrator, but he has to prove that he has the strength to play through redirect blocks and hold up against NFL interior linemen.

-Lance Zierlein

Been saying this for a couple of weeks. I think Collins is quicker IMO. I'm not overly impressed with Hurst in the 1st at all.

Hurst also reminds me of a guy we got as a FA in Lewis Neal for nothing.

Last edited: