Zierlein Mock 1.0 1/30/18

cnuball21

Reaction score
Notice who Zierlein compares Hurst to in his breakdown.

Strengths
Has disruptive initial quickness when ball is snapped. Comes off the ball low and looking to eat in the backfield. Once he gets into the gap, can get skinny and slither through. Too quick for blockers to reach or trap. Motor and movement get him access to the pocket as a rusher. Flurries with his hands like a lightweight boxer. Bats away early punch attempts creating balance advantages. Light feet help him bounce from gap to gap challenging slow-footed linemen. Makes plays well beyond his gap thanks to quickness and plus motor. Quick to punch and disengage against move blocks on outside zone. Effective in twist game.

Weaknesses
Is smallish for interior life. Doesn't have the thick frame that lends itself to adding a lot more functional mass. Big maulers can give him the blues when they square him up. A firm punch will bounce him way out of his rush lane. Has to close the gap on longer, stronger blockers or he gets in trouble. Uses forward lean to create power that upper body is lacking. Goes head-first into initial contact and loses sight of the ball. Sticks to blocks and is slow to shed. Pass rush comes from movement and twists over hand usage and rush counters.

Draft Projection
Rounds 1-2

NFL Comparison
Maliek Collins

Bottom Line
Hurst is an upfield three-technique who gets out of the blocks ahead of his competition as soon as the starter's pistol goes off. His ability to come out fast and low should create opportunities to become a disruptive penetrator, but he has to prove that he has the strength to play through redirect blocks and hold up against NFL interior linemen.

-Lance Zierlein

If that was an accurate comp then Hurst wouldn't be showing up in the 1st round in every mock and big board out there.

The reason why Hurst is a first round prospect, and is a better prospect than Collins, is because he has already shown he can provide value against the pass and run.

pacboyX

Reaction score
Derwin James one pick ahead of us yea right, we better trade a few spots up for him and certify this secondary for the upcoming years.

Sydla

Reaction score
Take it from a guy who wrote an 500 word, 10 GIF scouting report on Collins coming out of Nebraska (RIP boards.dallascowboys.com) - Hurst has way more power than Collins does.

Did you like Collins?

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Shhhhh...let them take James. Makes them more likely to move on from Earl Thomas' contract.
I would rather have James. Thomas is getting close to 30 years old now and will be a free agent next year anyways. Then you have a 2nd year James paired up with Thomas

bleachedwheat

Reaction score
Hurst pick would be a disaster, in this scenario I would trade back 100 percent of the time. If the Jags really want to go QB they could trade up to get Lamar then you can pick Price, Hernandez, or Wynn whomever fell to 29. Then you should trade up in the second for a LB Vander Esch. That would be the way to go

Soonerman1

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-mock-draft-10-darnold-barkley-bolster-browns

1. Cleveland Browns - Sam Darnold QB USC
2. New York Giants - Josh Rosen QB UCLA
3. Indianapolis Colts - Bradley Chubb DE North Carolina St.
4. Cleveland Browns (Houston) - Saquon Barkley RB Penn St.
5. Denver Broncos - Quenton Nelson G Notre Dame
6. New York Jets - Josh Allen QB Wyoming
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Minkah Fitzpatrick DB Alabama
8. Chicago Bears - Denzel Ward CB Ohio St.
9. San Francisco 49ers - Tremaine Edmunds LB Virginia Tech
10. Oakland Raiders - Roquan Smith LB Georgia
11. Miami Dolphins - Baker Mayfield QB Oklahoma
12. Cincinnati Bengals - Orlando Brown T Oklahoma
13. Washington Commanders - Vita Vea DT Washington
14. Green Bay Packers - Josh Jackson CB Iowa
15. Arizona Cardinals - Connor Williams T Texas
16. Baltimore Ravens - Calvin Ridley WR Alabama
17. Los Angeles Chargers - Da'Ron Payne DT Alabama
18. Seattle Seahawks - Derwin James S Florida St.

19. Dallas Cowboys - Maurice Hurst DT Michigan
Hurst-to-Dallas feels like one of the cleanest fits in this mock. Rod Marinelli wants more rush from the interior, and Hurst fits his scheme and style.

20. Detroit Lions - Marcus Davenport DE UTSA
21. Buffalo Bills - Billy Price C Ohio St.
22. Buffalo Bills (Kansas City) - Rashaan Evans LB Alabama
23. Los Angeles Rams - Isaiah Oliver CB Colorado
24. Carolina Panthers - Jamarco Jones T Ohio St.
25. Tennessee Titans - Harold Landry LB Boston College
26. Atlanta Falcons - Isaiah Wynn G Georgia
27. New Orleans Saints - Dallas Goedert TE South Dakota St.
28. Pittsburgh Steelers - Ronnie Harrison S Alabama
29. Jacksonville Jaguars - Lamar Jackson QB Louisville
30. Minnesota Vikings - Mike McGlinchey T Notre Dame
31. Philadelphia Eagles - Will Hernandez G UTEP
32. New England Patriots - Mike Hughes CB UCF
That’s great, we now have two(Collins) good interior rush men, that will be a huge advantage when teams line and rush 40 times a game cause our RUSH men can’t defend the run, I’m so sorry I have this football thing backwards, I assumed the DE’s were suppose to rush!!! So it’s all four rushing no one defending the run or covering the LB’s, and people wonder why Shaun Lee is always hurt! SMH

cnuball21

Reaction score
Hurst pick would be a disaster, in this scenario I would trade back 100 percent of the time. If the Jags really want to go QB they could trade up to get Lamar then you can pick Price, Hernandez, or Wynn whomever fell to 29. Then you should trade up in the second for a LB Vander Esch. That would be the way to go

And why do you think that?

John813

Reaction score
Rather look for a trade back and acquire more picks early in day 2.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Notice who Zierlein compares Hurst to in his breakdown.

Strengths
Has disruptive initial quickness when ball is snapped. Comes off the ball low and looking to eat in the backfield. Once he gets into the gap, can get skinny and slither through. Too quick for blockers to reach or trap. Motor and movement get him access to the pocket as a rusher. Flurries with his hands like a lightweight boxer. Bats away early punch attempts creating balance advantages. Light feet help him bounce from gap to gap challenging slow-footed linemen. Makes plays well beyond his gap thanks to quickness and plus motor. Quick to punch and disengage against move blocks on outside zone. Effective in twist game.

Weaknesses
Is smallish for interior life. Doesn't have the thick frame that lends itself to adding a lot more functional mass. Big maulers can give him the blues when they square him up. A firm punch will bounce him way out of his rush lane. Has to close the gap on longer, stronger blockers or he gets in trouble. Uses forward lean to create power that upper body is lacking. Goes head-first into initial contact and loses sight of the ball. Sticks to blocks and is slow to shed. Pass rush comes from movement and twists over hand usage and rush counters.

Draft Projection
Rounds 1-2

NFL Comparison
Maliek Collins

Bottom Line
Hurst is an upfield three-technique who gets out of the blocks ahead of his competition as soon as the starter's pistol goes off. His ability to come out fast and low should create opportunities to become a disruptive penetrator, but he has to prove that he has the strength to play through redirect blocks and hold up against NFL interior linemen.

-Lance Zierlein
{Crosses Hurst off likey list}

Sydla

Reaction score
Maulers don’t give Donald trouble and he’s smaller than Hurst.

Donald didn't seem to struggle with bigger blockers like Hurst did. Donald also appears to be quicker that gave him some advantage.

We need to stop looking at size and thinking well if that guy did it, so can this guy. In the end, Hurst at 19 wouldn't kill me but there are a lot of guys I'd rather have at 19 - Vea, James, Ridley, Smith, Payne, etc.

Sydla

Reaction score

What's the obsession with getting a guard here in the first round? For one, Cooper wasn't terrible. He was fine playing next to Smith.

Two, there is one clear stud at OG in this draft and sure, if he falls to 19, you grab him but I think with all our needs, taking an OG in the first round that isn't Nelson is probably not the wisest move.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What's the obsession with getting a guard here in the first round? For one, Cooper wasn't terrible. He was fine playing next to Smith.

Two, there is one clear stud at OG in this draft and sure, if he falls to 19, you grab him but I think with all our needs, taking an OG in the first round that isn't Nelson is probably not the wisest move.

A guard in the first round wouldn't be my preference, but I'd prefer that to Hurst.

By the time the draft rolls around, the team should have the answer on whether or not they have Cooper back for 2018. If so, I don't think it's a huge priority. If not, I think it moves up significantly.

I see zero depth on the current offensive line.

Soonerman1

Reaction score
Collins has no business playing the 1-tech. We should be trying to find a starter there and moving Collins back to the 3-tech.
ABSOLUTELY!!! You should be GM!, under this scenario all 4 Down lineman are rushmen and no one but our safeties to stop the run after teams average 8yds a rush or better against us

Sydla

Reaction score
A guard in the first round wouldn't be my preference, but I'd prefer that to Hurst.

By the time the draft rolls around, the team should have the answer on whether or not they have Cooper back for 2018. If so, I don't think it's a huge priority. If not, I think it moves up significantly.

I see zero depth on the current offensive line.

Depth is an issue but I am not drafting an OG in the first round not named Nelson at this point unless the draft board just disintegrates and we are basically stuck.

If you want "depth", I think you can find a vet OT and OG for fairly cheap in FA.

Or draft one of the OTs like McGlinchey or Williams and they can possibly play OG and then be insurance against one of the OTs getting hurt. That would be a much smarter move than taking a pure OG IMO.