Zierlein: North Dakota State QB Wentz deserves first-round grade

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
College Football 24/7 Hot Topics: Can't-miss moments of 2015 season 2016 NFL Draft order and team needs Tracking underclassmen draft intentions Watch: Great college football plays

NFL Media analyst Lance Zierlein has placed a first-round draft grade on the North Dakota State quarterback, who could be the most intriguing pick of the 2016 NFL Draft. Zierlein has studied film of each Wentz throw from the 2014 and '15 seasons.

"He checks a lot of boxes. He plays in a pro-style passing attack that allows him to read the entire field," Zierlein said. "He has great size, a good enough arm, and is very courageous in the pocket. He has fantastic touch and accuracy down the field. You have to project him a little because he's an FCS guy, and there are still signs that he has work to do with his decision-making.

"He probably needs to sit and learn for a year or two. I think if you take a guy inside the top six (or) eight picks, you're pressured to play him right away. Later in the (first round), those are better teams making those picks that don't have that kind of pressure."

Wentz has caught the eye of NFL Media draft expert Mike Mayock, as well.

The positives: Size (6-foot-6, 235 pounds), velocity, and a lightning-quick release.

The negatives: Wentz broke his right wrist, on his throwing arm, and underwent season-ending surgery that cut his senior season roughly in half. And of course, there's that pesky question about the competition he's faced at the FCS level. An NFC scout told College Football 24/7 earlier this month that picking a quarterback from a smaller school like Wentz's can be scary business.

Wentz will try to answer questions about both his injury recovery and his ability to compete at a higher level next month at the Reese's Senior Bowl. The annual all-star game draws some of the most talented seniors and fourth-year juniors in college football for a week of practice, personal interviews and a North-South all-star game under the watchful eye of NFL coaches, scouts and personnel executives.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...kota-state-qb-wentz-deserves-firstround-grade

reddyuta

Reaction score
I can see a Rivers parellel here,hope he does well in both the final and the senior bowl.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Well, I have the game set to record... gotta say this will be my first North Dakota State game... ever!...
Excited to see what happens... Frankly, was disappointed in the Memphis game... Goff looked great against
Air Force... worried about his 6-pick game earlier against Utah.

Wood

Reaction score
Well, I have the game set to record... gotta say this will be my first North Dakota State game... ever!...
Excited to see what happens... Frankly, was disappointed in the Memphis game... Goff looked great against
Air Force... worried about his 6-pick game earlier against Utah.

make sure you update us with your impressions of Wentz.

sbark

Reaction score
20mph wind. Gusts to 30. 65/35 run ratio old school power football.

MissionCoach

Reaction score
Trade back, not too far back. Wouldn't go past 12. Pick up extra draft picks and draft Wentz at 12. He would be the ideal candidate to sit behind Romo for 2 years. Bring in another vet...NOT named Weedon, Cassel, JF, or RGIII, and keep your fingers crossed that we got it right!

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I think Wentz is going to be a high-riser in the draft. When all is said and done, wouldn't be shocked to see him go in the teens to Saints or Eagles.

My ideal draft would be to be able to drop down 5-10 slots, pick up an additional high picks and still draft Wentz; easier said than done, but this guy is no joke.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Value thing, or do you feel Wentz is right behind him?

Honestly I have no idea. In the value relationship at this point Goff is the man in the popular
opinion.Where as Wentz is rated at the top of the second but it's assumed his a riser. How far?
Things can radically changed in four months, they usually do.We're all reading some good things
about this kid.Right now I'm feeling Wentz. I am assuming we can get Wentz not so sure about the
other two.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Honestly I have no idea. In the value relationship at this point Goff is the man in the popular
opinion.Where as Wentz is rated at the top of the second but it's assumed his a riser. How far?
Things can radically changed in four months, they usually do.We're all reading some good things
about this kid.Right now I'm feeling Wentz. I am assuming we can get Wentz not so sure about the
other two.

Blake Bortles was considered a 2nd rounder around this time 2 years ago

MagicMan

Reaction score
Having seen Wentz today me thinks his draft stock will begin to rise from now til pre draft and he will go in top 10-------with many teams needing QBs, Goff and Lynch go in top 3 and Wentz will go either to Dallas or someone will trade into top 10 and get him. If Dallas trades down to teens, they will be out in the cold from this trio and will be the ultimate bone headed move by this FO needing a franchise QB. Remaining of the QB prospects are 2nd tier.

Garrett gets a up close look at Wentz in the Senior Bowl. So we'll see.

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
Having seen Wentz today me thinks his draft stock will begin to rise from now til pre draft and he will go in top 10-------with many teams needing QBs, Goff and Lynch go in top 3 and Wentz will go either to Dallas or someone will trade into top 10 and get him. If Dallas trades down to teens, they will be out in the cold from this trio and will be the ultimate bone headed move by this FO needing a franchise QB. Remaining of the QB prospects are 2nd tier.

Garrett gets a up close look at Wentz in the Senior Bowl. So we'll see.

If Tennessee takes Tunsil and Cleveland takes Goff then I think Lynch and Wentz will both be there at #4. Don't think SF will trade up for another QB besides Goff and I don't think SD will take a QB. Now if Cleveland falls in love with Lynch or Wentz then I can see SF trying desperately to trade up to #3 with SD for Goff. We shall see....

reddyuta

Reaction score
I dont see the Browns drafting a Qb in the first RD,Chargers are a prime candidate to move down though.