Zoners: Spencer... what was he thinking?

kmd24

Reaction score
TwoDeep3;4096137 said:
If a guy quits it shows character. And regardless of the head coach, when things get tough he will do so again.

From what I've read, Spencer has shown character. He was known for playing hard and playing through injury at Purdue. Maybe he needs someone consistently pushing him rather than making excuses for him.

It's not all black and white even though my experience with you is that once you get an idea in your head you will refuse to see any other perspective.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I congratulate him. I do think there is such a thing as too much honesty and pointing out your shortcomings to the press is not always in the best judgment. Haters gonna hate.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
kmd24;4096168 said:
From what I've read, Spencer has shown character. He was known for playing hard and playing through injury at Purdue. Maybe he needs someone consistently pushing him rather than making excuses for him.

It's not all black and white even though my experience with you is that once you get an idea in your head you will refuse to see any other perspective.

Spencer's attitude is troubling. What he did in Purdue has little bearing on what he did last year.

Garrett was the head coach last year and presumably the guy who will apply the boot up against his arse if he doesn't give max effort.

Why was that boot not applied last year?

As to your last comment, show me something that changes my mind. Like most you assume you know me.

You don't.

kmd24

Reaction score
TwoDeep3;4096210 said:
Spencer's attitude is troubling. What he did in Purdue has little bearing on what he did last year.

It has bearing on whether he is a high character guy. Even the best people can struggle when everyone around them has lost confidence in the leadership and all are demoralized.

Garrett was the head coach last year and presumably the guy who will apply the boot up against his arse if he doesn't give max effort.

Why was that boot not applied last year?

How do you know it wasn't? Spencer could be talking about the first eight games for all we know. You are quick to jump to conclusions.

Even if he meant the whole season, there is a difference between the Garrett who was an interim head coach, promoted from offensive coordinator, who likely had little interaction with Spencer and was openly defied by some of his offensive players and the Garrett that assumed the helm in the offseason, cleaned house, and took responsibility for the entire team.

As to your last comment, show me something that changes my mind.

I'm not asking you to change your mind. I'm merely suggesting there might be more to the story than you know. It's useful to consider different perspectives, and that's what I am offering, even if it is not my gut feeling about the player.

Like most you assume you know me.

You don't.

Fair enough. I will say that I've observed you across two message boards for several years, and I can't remember ever seeing you budge even the slightest in a debate. I could be wrong, though. Perhaps it's just par for the course in online discussions.

Cheers!

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Sometimes players forget this is a job, and a damn good one. If you're going to mail it in, do it at a warehouse or some dumb job that's over working you and not paying you squat, not a million dollar dream job. WAKE UP!

wileedog

Reaction score
kmd24;4096168 said:
From what I've read, Spencer has shown character. He was known for playing hard and playing through injury at Purdue. Maybe he needs someone consistently pushing him rather than making excuses for him..

IIRC, didn't he get in hot water his first season for missing rehab sessions?

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;4095631 said:
Theres a reason Sensabaugh keeps getting 1 year deals. Some guys just dont have that Ware mentality and are either lazy, dumb, or football doesnt mean a lot to them.

I dont want to have to fill OLB but Spencer is making the case to NOT give him guaranteed money.

Huge year for Victor Butler. If he looks good think Id rather let him start and use assets to get more talent in the trenches.

yep

the big difference between the top guys and the middling players is the work ethic. One guy might do 10 hours in the gym, top guy does 15. I always laugh at Don Beebe busting his hump to chase down Leon Lett when the score was 52-17 but it was that kind of effort that kept that low skilled player in the NFL for as long as he was.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
kmd24;4096395 said:
It has bearing on whether he is a high character guy. Even the best people can struggle when everyone around them has lost confidence in the leadership and all are demoralized.

How do you know it wasn't? Spencer could be talking about the first eight games for all we know. You are quick to jump to conclusions.

Even if he meant the whole season, there is a difference between the Garrett who was an interim head coach, promoted from offensive coordinator, who likely had little interaction with Spencer and was openly defied by some of his offensive players and the Garrett that assumed the helm in the offseason, cleaned house, and took responsibility for the entire team.

I'm not asking you to change your mind. I'm merely suggesting there might be more to the story than you know. It's useful to consider different perspectives, and that's what I am offering, even if it is not my gut feeling about the player.

Fair enough. I will say that I've observed you across two message boards for several years, and I can't remember ever seeing you budge even the slightest in a debate. I could be wrong, though. Perhaps it's just par for the course in online discussions.

Cheers!

There is no true debate on these boards. There is a facade that attempts to color itself as debate, but since there are no real ground rules for what stands as truth, debate is a misnomer at best.

One side will pull out stats and say that is the end all be all for their position. If you disagree they then label you as someone who knows nothing about this sport.

Here's a news flash.

There isn't anyone on this or any other board that knows enough about this sport to have an intelligent discussion about pro football with even the most journeyman player or coach or scout.

We are voyeurs who, for the most part, watch on a TV screen that doesn't even show the entire field at the snap of the ball.

We read comments by the press and watch games and think we have some vast insight.

There are some that even try to educate the great unwashed with volumes of text on a screen they copied from somewhere else or read and regurgitated. Then profess they understand this game.

The press doesn't know everything because they are not in the meetings. They will never know everything because even a big mouth like Jerry Jones will not say everything he knows. Coaches will never tell you the unvarnished truth. Players today are about their careers and the rah rah they tout will be the same rah rah if and when they are traded or picked up as a free agent about the next team. So their opinions are based more on a pay check and not an allegiance to a team...for the most part.

So we as fans base our OPINIONS on the press, the ex-players who spout off on TV - and to be sure they have agendas and are directed by the shows producers to play parts and create interest through being controversial - and the occasional presser where a coach will say things that have no real meaning in the context of what he thinks.

There is one caveat here when a coach or ex-player breaks down film and reveals the development of a play and how one side or the other succeeded by design and game plan. That is one of the few places we as fans get any real insight into this game.

The sum total of knowledge and insight on boards is illustrated thus.

You remind everyone of your successful predictions.

Truthfully I predicted Dallas would beat the Steelers in 1995 for the Super Bowl. Bet a Steeler fan 100 bucks in July before training camp started.

You fail to remind those when you made claims that do not come to pass.

I predicted we would go 4-12 the year Quincy got us to the play-offs with Parcells.

This game we play on these boards is very similar to palm readers who make suggestions. The dupe then remembers the ones they generalized about and got close and forget the ones wherein the soothsayer was very off base.

The only real truth we all subscribe to is this.

The final score and the Champion at the end of the season.

All else is subjective at best and most opinion driven as fact because someone is clever at framing an argument in a way it sounds right.

Let me tell you one last truth.

I like Tony Romo very much.

I am more concerned about the things he doesn't do well and how they interact with the game in general than his stats, which at the end of the year are meaningless if we did not get to the NFC Championship game.

But by and large I like Romo a great deal and think this team is pretty blessed to have found him as they did.

The truth being this.

If you polled the vast majority of Cowboy fans on all the Cowboy message boards about my opinion on Romo, I doubt very seriously you would find half a dozen people who would tell you I like Romo.

Most would tell you I hate him and see him like Quincy Carter.

And most would be dead wrong.

Perceptions gleaned from comments on message boards seldom are reality.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CrazyCowboy;4095602 said:
Why would Spencer admit to mailing it in last year?

Last year of his contract and he admits something like this?

I am sure Garrett is not happy.

It did not help his new contract negotiations with Stephen Jones.

Is he Stupid?

What was he thinking?:rolleyes:

Just talking...maybe he is messing with the minds of the mediots...I bet he is having a great laugh right now!

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
i love the way victor butler gives 110 percent every play.

spencer better show something these next few weeks.

budsboys

Reaction score
under wade stats
2010 REGULAR SEASON GAME LOG
DATE OPP RESULT TACK SOLO AST SACK STF STFYDS FF KB INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD
Sun 9/12 @ WSH L 7-13 3 3 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Sun 9/19 vsCHI L 20-27 5 5 0 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Sun 9/26 @ HOU W 27-13 1 1 0 0.0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Sun 10/10 vsTEN L 27-34 3 3 0 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Sun 10/17 @ MIN L 21-24 2 2 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Mon 10/25 vsNYG L 35-41 6 3 3 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Sun 10/31 vsJAC L 17-35 3 3 0 1.0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Sun 11/7 @ GB L 7-45 8 7 1 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
i think it didn't matter who was the coach or how the team was playing hes a loser that needs to go

stats after garrett took over

Sun 11/14 @ NYG W 33-20 6 3 3 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Sun 11/21 vsDET W 35-19 4 4 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Thu 11/25 vsNO L 27-30 1 1 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Sun 12/5 @ IND W 38-35 (OT) 4 3 1 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Sun 12/12 vsPHI L 27-30 4 3 1 0.0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
Sun 12/19 vsWSH W 33-30 2 0 2 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
Sat 12/25 @ ARI L 26-27 5 5 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Sun 1/2 @ PHI W 14-13 6 6 0 2.0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
RastaRocket;4096783 said:
I hate honesty!!

I get your point but there's such a thing as being too honest. All he needed to say was I looked at old tape and I was not using the best techniques at times. I'm working on things. I'll be a better player this year.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
jobberone;4096787 said:
I get your point but there's such a thing as being too honest. All he needed to say was I looked at old tape and I was not using the best techniques at times. I'm working on things. I'll be a better player this year.

He just put a target on his back. You think he ever does it again after calling himself out to everybody?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He should have just blamed Wade. Nobody would have had any problem with that.

BlueStar3398

Reaction score
I knew there was something very wrong, but I never thought anyone would be honest and say they were goofing off last year. He was honest, but they let millions of fans down last year. I bet if he doesn't show up this year, he will be good as gone.