Zoners: Top 5 Most Undesirable Cities

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
User opinion of course...lets see what places you all don't like!

5. Hinesville, GA - Everything that you could ever think was wrong about the south, lives here. I hope I never get stationed at Fort Stewart, GA. I'll lose my mind.

4. Highland Falls, NY - I really like West Point (after graduating). I really do. But the town just outside the main gate is abysmal. It's a small township with big city problems - prostitution, drugs, theft, you name it. Not to mention they took a good handful of inner city minorities and southern racists and threw them together in a 5 square-mile town. Makes for interesting times at the local pubs.

3. Baltimore, MD - people from the DC area can't even be bothered to look down their noses at Baltimore, and for good reason. Nothing great about this place. Sulfur in the air around the harbor, and a haven for criminals. When people talk about the "DMV" (DC-Maryland-Virginia) area, Baltimore is not included - and cities further from DC are.

2. Dover, DE - Absolutely nothing good about Dover. I've got some bad memories from this place, and would prefer that they just bulldoze it and let the Amish have it.

1. Philadelphia, PA - four straight years of Army/Navy losses in freezing temperatures surely contributes to my disdain for Philadelphia, but it runs deeper than that. Dirty, smelly, just not a great place to be. Lots of people that aren't exactly the nicest people in the world, and the abusive ex-boyfriend of a friend was from Philadelphia. Do not want.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Obviously Philly is #1. The entire state of Georgia should be on that list too.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
2. Houston, TX - Spent a few months there working back in late 2005/early 2006. Not a fan. Not a fan at all.

1. Mobile, AL - Who the hell designed this crap? Access roads for city streets?

I can't think of 3 other ones at the moment. I'll just go with 2.

DallasGirl50

Reaction score
Only can think of 2..

Detroit..that is one ugly depressing place to be.

New Orleans..smells there.

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
This is US only?

1) Durham, NC by reputation alone.

2) Little Rock, AR lived there for a month, and got the hell out of dodge immediately.

3) anywhere south of Nashville in the Southeast states.

4) NYC I hate the crowdedness of it

5) LA - hate it (Orange County is okay though b/c of the Vietnamese culture there).

--

Top 5 cities
1) Victoria, WA (no income tax, and on the border with Oregon which has no sales tax).
2) Boston - awesome beautiful college town
3) Denver - very clean, pretty close to mountains
4) SF - just an awesome place
5) Just outside of DC (for family reasons)

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Agree on Philly. During business trips I used to have to step over bums to get to Market Street walking from the Omni. Place was just littered with them. I would usually slip them some cash on my walk over, but it started to become an expensive habit when I was going there twice a week. The locals are just flat out rude people to top it off.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
VietCowboy;3746775 said:
This is US only?

1) Durham, NC by reputation alone.

2) Little Rock, AR lived there for a month, and got the hell out of dodge immediately.

3) anywhere south of Nashville in the Southeast states.

4) NYC I hate the crowdedness of it

5) LA - hate it (Orange County is okay though b/c of the Vietnamese culture there).

--

Top 5 cities
1) Victoria, WA (no income tax, and on the border with Oregon which has no sales tax).
2) Boston - awesome beautiful college town
3) Denver - very clean, pretty close to mountains
4) SF - just an awesome place
5) Just outside of DC (for family reasons)

NYC is a bad place? Thats crazy. If you don't want the crowdedness of the city. Stay away from the tourist spots. I avoid Times Square like the plague. I only pass through Grand Central Station because that is where my train leaves from.

NYC is a wonderful city.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Phoenix;3746815 said:
For me, by far #1 is

NEWARK, NJ

WRETCHED!

New Jersey is like Georgia. Both are cesspools that should be avoided at all cost. :laugh2:

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
nyc;3746667 said:
Obviously Philly is #1. The entire state of Georgia should be on that list too.

Savannah is a very nice town. Beautiful areas. Lots of tourists visit.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
ZeroClub;3746841 said:
Savannah is a very nice town. Beautiful areas. Lots of tourists visit.

Maybe, but it's tainted due to being in the state of Georgia. ;)

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Never knew about the Georgia hate, my parents lived there when my dad went to GT. Of course right after he graduated they moved to east texas, so guess it wasn't too great but that was the 70's.

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
nyc;3746831 said:
NYC is a bad place? Thats crazy. If you don't want the crowdedness of the city. Stay away from the tourist spots. I avoid Times Square like the plague. I only pass through Grand Central Station because that is where my train leaves from.

NYC is a wonderful city.

I don't like the fact that the cost of living is ridiculously high, the noise, and the fact that it takes people a long time, generally 30+ minutes, just to get anywhere, by foot, by subway, or by car.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
VietCowboy;3746882 said:
I don't like the fact that the cost of living is ridiculously high, the noise, and the fact that it takes people a long time, generally 30+ minutes, just to get anywhere, by foot, by subway, or by car.

Not much different than living in the Dallas / Fort Worth area except that you drive for 30 to get anywhere.

You listed San Francisco has a place you like and the cost of living there is only slightly less than NYC.

btw, I'm a big fan of San Fran too.

63echo

Reaction score
1. Houston. Too big and just soulless. No offense to any Houstonians here, but when I think "Generic Sprawl," Houston is what I'm imagining.

2. El Paso. Really, just about any border town can make my list, but El Paso is one of the biggest so it's here. Grungy, dirty, and crime-a-rific. I feel like I need to take a shower whenever I drive through it.

3. Ontario/San Bernadino, CA. You couldn't pay me enough to live in that state. I spent a couple weeks training in SB, and that was enough to have permanently soured my opinion on Cali (I DO like San Diego though). I don't know what I thought smog was before I went there, but I know now. When you can feel it on your skin and EVERYTHING is tinted yellow/brown. you know there's a problem.

4. Salt Lake City. Speaking of smog...but it's not as bad here as in California. No real reason for this choice. Just a gray industrial town with horrible traffic and the stink of both the Great Salt Lake AND religious fundamentalism (though that's subsided over the years). I like Utah, but I wouldn't live anywhere near SLC if I could help it.

5. 90% of the towns in Maine. Everything here is drab, rundown, dying. If it weren't for the loggers (and also Maine's number one export...marijuana), this state would have no reason to exist. Ghetto tenements, ghetto rowhouses, people old before their time and beaten down by the winters and the lack of employment. Nice place to visit, as they say, but I wouldn't want to live there. Unfortunately I do, but am working on my escape.

Favorites:

San Antonio
Denver/Colorado Springs
Santa Fe
Dallas
Boston

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
5. Los Angeles
4. Jackson, MS
3. Beaumont, TX
2. Detroit
1. Philly

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
I haven't been to a ton of other cities, but I can say safely one of the worst was Binghamton,NY. I was in Buffalo a few years after I stayed in Binghamton and Buffalo was a paradise compared to it. I was only visiting in Buffalo to see the falls BTW, but my father had to work there for long patches of time.

I can say a lot of state of NY cities (upstate too) are decrepit up to a point.

I still can inference from a lot of horror stories that Binghamton is like a Detroit-light.

Duane

Reaction score
trickblue;3747042 said:
5. Los Angeles
4. Jackson, MS
3. Beaumont, TX
2. Detroit
1. Philly

At least my home town beat Detroit. :laugh2: