Zoners: what was the issue here with Brian Waters?

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Galian Beast;4606218 said:
He wanted to come here, and many of us wanted him to be signed.

He was too old but then we signed Derrick Dockery instead? He is a real spring chicken...

We signed Dockery after injuries occurred and Holland was cut by that Time Waters was taken up and Training camp was complete. It was a move to fill awesome person on the roster after camp was completed.

If not for Holland being out of shape and out of most the camp with the back

Kingsmith88

Benched
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;4606026 said:
Ref below: what was the reason this asset is not on our team?

What a steal the Pats get here.......a solid veteran Guard who can still play at the top of his game.

Sometimes, as much as I love my Cowboys.....they make me sick! :bang2:

Jerry Jones and Garrett didn't accurately rate our Ol.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
They didn't want to pay the old guy money. They went cheap and it cost them big time.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
CyberB0b;4606683 said:
They didn't want to pay the old guy money. They went cheap and it cost them big time.
Limited cap space last year...this organization has always been far from cheap

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Senior wanted him pretty bad. It was a mistake for the boys not to sign him, but really the whole interior line was a mistake last year. Nothing we can do about it now. Let's just hope that Leary is as good as advertised.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
cowboy_ron;4606735 said:
Limited cap space last year...this organization has always been far from cheap

They restructured contracts to have a huge amount of money. They were 6.7 million under as of August 16th, 2011. This is a few weeks before Waters was signed by the Pats.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A. He had more gas in the tank than we thought.
B. He had more rubber left on his tires than we thought.
C. He didn't want to be a Cowboy.

You choose.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
This happebs every year. You dont think the rams and chargers said the same thing after robinson double and tripled his numbers here? Of course sometimes it.works other times it doesnt(think marco rivera)

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Muhast;4606844 said:
This happebs every year. You dont think the rams and chargers said the same thing after robinson double and tripled his numbers here? Of course sometimes it.works other times it doesnt(think marco rivera)

But we must rue. It's The Cowboy (fan) Way.;)

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Muhast;4606844 said:

No there are good choices and bad.

Rivera was a bad signing because we could have gotten Wahle for the same price.

jday

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;4606026 said:
Ref below: what was the reason this asset is not on our team?

What a steal the Pats get here.......a solid veteran Guard who can still play at the top of his game.

Sometimes, as much as I love my Cowboys.....they make me sick! :bang2:

So that I'm clear, we know for a fact the Cowboys didn't try? Or are we assuming that Brian Waters would naturally prefer to play for the Cowboys more than the Patriots had they only asked for his services?

Were I on the downslope of my career as an NFL player and still lacked the ring, I might play for the team that has the best chances of going to a Super Bowl. As much as I'd like to say I would choose the Cowboys, the Patriot would likely be my choice too!

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Though it make zero sense, no difference and doesn't matter for the outcome in the least, the Dallas Cowboys Front Office said they wanted to promote from within last year, for absolutely no reason, even liked Costa over Gurode, but everyone knows the verdict is out, Costa isn't even a backup in this league.

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
Doomsay;4606140 said:
"OL Youth movement"

Hopefully some of last year's yutes will move on out of here and be replaced by quality players.

(in my best Herman Munster voice) What is a yute?

burmafrd

Reaction score
JsnSA;4607597 said:
A decent article about age and the Oline. After reading that you start to understand why the Cowboys would not want to risk it with an older player for that position. It has some cowboys references to recent years but doesn't mention Waters.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8112247/nfl-how-long-too-long-o-line

it was stupid to pass on him and keep what we had. They were just as old and nowhere near as good.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Galian Beast;4606963 said:
No there are good choices and bad.

Rivera was a bad signing because we could have gotten Wahle for the same price.

your memory needs checking. Wahle wanted to go to Carolina and we would have had to pay a lot more to get him. I am suprised how selective memories are anymore with so many.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
SilverStarCowboy;4607509 said:
Though it make zero sense, no difference and doesn't matter for the outcome in the least, the Dallas Cowboys Front Office said they wanted to promote from within last year, for absolutely no reason, even liked Costa over Gurode, but everyone knows the verdict is out, Costa isn't even a backup in this league.

:sarcasm:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;4607614 said:
it was stupid to pass on him and keep what we had. They were just as old and nowhere near as good.

That sums it up quite nicely. And it also explains the lump under the carpet where some people tried to sweep this glaring mistake.