1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

1/24 Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by The Realist, Jan 24, 2013.

1. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,294 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    1) Shariff Floyd DT Florida

2) Phillip Thomas S Fresno State

3) Chris Faulk RT LSU (likely late first - early 2 before knee)

4) Khaleed Holmes C USC

5) Christine Michael RB A&M

6) J.C. Tretter G/C Cornell (played LT)
  2. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

4,266 Messages
    1,339 Likes Received
    -That's a little high for Thomas imo. Good player but I think we go OL & DL with our first two picks. Hope we get a Safety in the 3rd.

-I'm actually on board with the Chris Faulk pick. The fact of the matter is that most people won't want to spend a 3rd on a player coming off a serious injury, but that's exactly what Jerry and Co. do. They take chances on injured players later in the draft. If he's there in the 3rd, I'd take him. He was projected as a day 1 pick before tearing his knee up right before the season. Potential starting RT from day 1 for us if he's healthy.

Here's an article I found on him about preparing for the draft: http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2013/01/former_lsu_ol_chris_faulk_tryi.html

-Don't mind the Christine Michael pick but he's another injury prone RB. Seems like he was always missing games at ATM with injuries. I'd love Johnathon Franklin out of UCLA but I think he goes in the 3rd or 4th. There should be a couple good RB's available in the 5th though.

-Overall would have no complaints if our draft turned out like this.
  3. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,113 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Watching game film of Floyd, I just don't get the hype.. We need a guy on the d-line who can come in immediately and move the pocket & I just don't see the skills on this guy. I would much rather take Ogletree/Cooper/Vaccaro, or even a project like Ansah. Just throwing my opinion out there, I don't see greatness in Floyd
  4. The Realist

3,294 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Phillip Thomas - Good safeties go early even from small schools.(Delmas). Especially cover safeties. I think after he moves way up we'll then be hoping he falls to us in 2 vs. saying it's too high for him.

Shariff Floyd - We needed a DT before Rat's DUI. We definitely need one now. Floyd is every bit as good as any highly rated DT in this draft and as good a pass rusher as any except he is only 20. Williams is 25, and Sheldon Richardson is a head case and has huge lazy streak.

Christine Michael - I know he is injury prone but that's all that was left that I like. I had to address OL and willing to forego better RB for better OL
  5. Macnalty

Macnalty Well-Known Member

1,066 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    If Chris Faulk falls that far then we hit the lottery, he is more in the shape of a young Nate Newton than a Tyron Smith so his work ethic towards his rehab on his knee is critical. Thanks for sharing this work it looks very good from a talent and needs level.
  6. The Realist

3,294 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    He may have had a Flo grade on him before the knee.

If we think he is all that take him at #47.
  7. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Not bad at all. Anyone who does a mock deserves props. Good effort.
  8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,770 Messages
    5,924 Likes Received
    Solid draft. I assume that Warmack and Cooper were off the board?

I would hope to trade down and still get Floyd. But, who knows at this point.

I find the Safeties the hardest group to sort out. I think Thomas will be one of the fastest of the bunch.

Faulk should be a good RT.

Khaled Holmes in the 4th would be terrific. The Cowboys desperately need more talent at OC.

Christine Michael is a good player. Good pick, but I personally would try to avoid taking more than 1 player with injury issues per draft.

Tretter is an interesting off-the-radar pick. He appears to have the athleticism to play OT, but his short arms are going to push him to the inside. He will need time to get bigger.
  9. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Solid draft. I assume that Warmack and Cooper were off the board

I really don't t hink we look at O line in the first - I think Jerry is pretty happy with the O line

I think we go D line or S in the first
  10. 1LoyalCowboyFan

1LoyalCowboyFan Active Member Zone Supporter

639 Messages
    79 Likes Received

Not a fan of Thomas but I think it is a solid draft otherwise!
  11. The Realist

3,294 Messages
    9 Likes Received
  12. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

3,003 Messages
    1,741 Likes Received
    Rd 1-DE Sam Montgomery
    Rd 2-DT Sylvester Williams
    Rd 3-OG Alvin Bailey
    Rd 4- S Phillip Thomas
    Rd 5- OT Brian Winters
    Rd 6- DE Devin Taylor

I'm basing this off of us signing both OG Andy Levitre and DT Henry Melton
  13. sureletsrace

sureletsrace Official CZ Homer

2,078 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    I don't mean to be rude, honest, but you really should start your own thread if you're going to post a mock draft. Just some friendly advice!
  14. cowboys1981

3,003 Messages
    1,741 Likes Received
    Why not just merge all mock threads? I don't feel the need to start a thread just for my mock. There are probably over 100 threads that get started everyday. Don't want to clutter website.
  15. cowboys1981

3,003 Messages
    1,741 Likes Received
    No player is perfect. I think he would be a steal for us in round 3-4. I hope most teams stay away from him due to playing at Fresno.
  16. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,273 Messages
    541 Likes Received
    No to any LSU DL, especially in the 1st.

Williams is a stud. Bailey is good. Thomas won't last to the 4th, he will rise after the SR bowl and the combine.
  17. The Realist

3,294 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    This is good crop of DT's this year. Williams is the 5th-7th best.

Plus he is 25 years old.
  18. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Bennie Logan's pretty good. I just want to put that out there.
  19. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,770 Messages
    5,924 Likes Received
    Has anybody watched a lot of Devin Taylor? I noticed something in the East-West Shrine game that I also had noticed in some South Carolina games that seems odd.

He has this move where it looks like he is doing a spin, but he stops half-way through and starts pushing the OL with his back. It's similar to something Herschal Walker would do at the end of his runs back in the day, but it's very odd for a DE.

The 1st time I saw it, I thought he just got stopped on a spin move, but after seeing it some more, it appears intentional.

Just curious if anyone else had noticed.
  20. cowboys1981

3,003 Messages
    1,741 Likes Received
    He is deceptive in his style of pass rush. Clowney got a lot of attention and rightfully so, I believe he'll fly under the radar and land to us late.