1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Audio: 105.3 - NFL Draft Show interview with Will McClay, the Asst Dir of Player Personnel...recap added

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 17, 2014.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,233 Messages
    7,062 Likes Received
    percyhoward likes this.
  2. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    11 minutes
    WoodysGirl likes this.
  3. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

9,001 Messages
    2,026 Likes Received
    McClay

● Need or BPA?
    Depends on whats available, and go from there

● Type of players he wants on the roster?
    As you build a team, game is played in space. First thing is speed, and depth with good football players

● Crazy to think QB at 17 if falls?
    You have to always stay open, cap, and team plays a part in all that.

● What have you seen in players? Jernigan, Easley....
    We talk about ability to do a bunch of different things. Scheme wise you have to have depth if you want to do what we want to do. Find value in lower rounds.

● Combine, how much do numbers swing you?
    We have criteria standards, players listed taller then what they really are changes things. Cant maximize a players ability unless you have the true measurables.

● How much time do you spend at VR
    15-18 hrs a day, this is the exciting part of the process, evaluate how you can make the team better.

● How are you going to work with Jerry, how has it grown?
    Misconception is Jerry does it on his own and makes decisions on his own, not true. My job is to get a unified voice so we have a unified decision for Jerry. Get the coaches to respect the scouts so jerry has the best information.

● Carter performance? Project him in a different role?
    Make sure we have players in right posistion to maximize potential. We are just going to keep bringing in players and try to get the right players in the right spots.

● Anything going to change in draft process, character ect...
    You have to build a team with good players, everybody has skeleton in their closet, but we have to evaluate those issues and see if we can deal with them. Can they make themselves eligible for the team every week. Football players usually tend to fall in place if the team is right. We are in the business of finding players not disqualifying them
    Nirvana, Bullflop, Doomsay and 15 others like this.
  4. NJ22

NJ22 Well-Known Member

1,121 Messages
    894 Likes Received
    Thanks for posting the link.
  5. slick325

slick325 Well-Known Member

1,946 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Thanks for the recap LatinMind.

Best statement McClay made is that they are in the business of finding players not disqualifying them.

Edit: Apologies......meant to thank WG as well for providing the link.
    mcompact, skinsscalper and XxTDxX like this.
  6. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,463 Messages
    6,029 Likes Received
    yes that was my favorite quote as well. the team disqualifies way too many players every year before the draft for either character stuff or scheme stubbornness.
    jobberone and 50cent like this.
  7. XxTDxX

XxTDxX Active Member

750 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    Yep. Was very encouraged to hear him say that.
    jobberone likes this.
  8. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,607 Messages
    571 Likes Received
    I came away with the same feeling. Much is made of the RKG kind of stuff around here, but I don't think that the powers that be are out to deliberately eliminate players from their draft board. I think that whole thing gets way overblown.

Case in point below.

:rolleyes:
  9. WoodysGirl

67,233 Messages
    7,062 Likes Received
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    dogberry likes this.
  10. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

9,001 Messages
    2,026 Likes Received
    Think what this interview shows is a switch in the power ranks without it being said. I think McClay calls some shots at VR by the way they talk about him on TC. I know thats out of the norm in the thinking of people when it comes to the Cowboys. But this guy has his hand in every aspect of the Cowboys that concerns players. He's the guy bringing in the FA's, he's the guy coordinating the draft. He's the guy finalizing the backgrounds, and the guy who is unifying the coaches and scouts and taking what they report and getting a consensus on what to do.

McClay is a big deal wether people are accepting it or not.
    marchetta and Vanilla2 like this.
  11. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    Good luck, lol.
  12. WoodysGirl

67,233 Messages
    7,062 Likes Received
    Not needed... :cool:
  13. WoodysGirl

67,233 Messages
    7,062 Likes Received
    Him having juice is important, but what he does with it is even more important. I think the most important thing that I got out of it was what a few others mentioned and that was trying to have a unified voice when going to Jerry. Shouldn't (hopefully) see anymore questionable pouting in the War Room on draft day.

I'd like to hear more of what he thinks about current players. To be expected, he gave a lot of non-answers when asked directly.
    Common Sense likes this.
  14. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    That's because he has good sense, lol.
    No GM/owner/personnel guy should EVER give you anything on current players.
    When its good it can be used against you in contract talks, when it is bad he player pouts and the coaches have to deal with it.
    Leave the current personnel discussions to the head coach and maybe position coach.
    We know what they think when they cut guys or agree to pay them.
    Nav22 likes this.
  15. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

3,282 Messages
    348 Likes Received

Depth is so vital on the defensive line when running this version of the 4-3.

I hope Demarcus Ware will accept a pay cut and stay.

I hope Tyrone Crawford and Ben Bass both return from injuries.

I hope a player or two can be found in free agency without costing too much coin.

And I'd love to find a way to add another second or third round selection in this years draft.

We need lots of help.
    car351 likes this.
  16. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,741 Messages
    906 Likes Received
    I hope McClay does very well, but if he does, he'll be gone next year.
  17. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

9,001 Messages
    2,026 Likes Received
    yeah he did, but he gave just enough to let you know he has his foot in the door.
  18. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

9,001 Messages
    2,026 Likes Received
    If they keep hayden then theyd have Crawford, Hayden and Bass. Last TC Bass was the talk, he had hatcher even say Bass would probably be a reason why he wasnt in Dallas in 2014. Thats a good endorsment.

I think adding 2 rookies or a rookie and a FA would be fine in Dallas. I like Hayden but i think for what he costs Dallas could get somebody who could produce a little more.

3 picks should be the min Dallas should go in the draft along the DL. then them possibly 6 extra picks in RD7 they should be able to nab more of them bottom round players this team seems to hit on every yr.
  19. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    "Depends on whats available, and go from there..." - No, really?
    "Make sure we have players in right posistion to maximize potential..." - No, really?
    "You have to build a team with good players..." - No, really?
    "We have criteria standards..." - You mean like every other team does?
    "Scheme wise you have to have depth if you want to do what we want to do..." - No, really?

Wow, what a lot of cliched answers. Such amazing insights...
  20. Jerryrage

Jerryrage Well-Known Member

447 Messages
    262 Likes Received
    They have to draft better in rounds 3-7 if they want to be better than a .500 football team.
    Floaty likes this.