1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

13 penalties a game = 3-1 record.

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Coy, Nov 12, 2012.

1. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

....because it cost him a 6 pt. INT return and a sweet spike too. Mo Claibourne was in OUTER space yesterday. Real glad we won but that kid should've been benched about 3 times for boneheaded penalties: the hold on Cooper that ruined Spencer's INT return and two times he was OFFSIDES....a CORNERBACK? Offsides TWICE.....I'm worried about the kid. Maybe the 6 on his wonderlic is a concern after all.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,663 Messages
    2,794 Likes Received
    It's been pointed out, and debated, many times on CZ that there's not a strong correlation between being less-penalized and winning. It's counter-intuitive, and I question that the statistics involved had isolated important variables that could affect the interpretation, but the statistics are there and would support the idea that statistics aren't actually meaningless at all.
  3. ROUSH8692

ROUSH8692 Well-Known Member

1,177 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    reading comprehension OP reading comprehension....
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

73,903 Messages
    993 Likes Received
    Dallas can't continue to have drives stall or extend drives for the other team because of excessive penalties. It is great that at times we have overcome these penalties but we are struggling enough without these penalties. Bottom line the Cowboys need to cut down on penalties while staying aggressive.
  5. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,475 Messages
    473 Likes Received
    Penalties in general have no correlation to winning or losing in the NFL. But, that's because defensive penalties have no correlation and tend to skew that metric. What Footballoutsiders found was that offensive penalties do have some correlation to winning and losing in the NFL.

That makes some sense because if you get called for a defensive holding, it's 5 yards. Yeah, it sucks when you get called on 3rd down and give up an easy first down. But, that's much easier to overcome on a drive than getting called for a hold and having 2nd and 17. That's almost a drive killer there.

Where we had most of the penalties against the Eagles was on defense. While I don't like to see that many penalties, its what side of the ball they are that really counts.

YR
  6. Doomsday101

73,903 Messages
    993 Likes Received
    and facing 1st and 20 is hard to overcome for the offense. Penalties hurt and when you have a lot they hurt even more. Add to that when you face tops teams it becomes even harder. Stats are great but watching the ball games and seeing drives die because of penalties is the reality
  7. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,475 Messages
    473 Likes Received
    That's essentially what I said.

We had 13 penalties, but they were mostly on defense which would help explain why we won. Had they been on offense, we would have had trouble winning.

YR
  8. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Active Member

950 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    Well we played Philly for starters.;)
  9. Doomsday101

73,903 Messages
    993 Likes Received
    Defensive ones hurt as well, you give a good offense another chance when they should be punting the ball then you leave yourself open to allowing a scoring drive when the drive should have been over with. Negitive plays be it offense or defense can cost you. Heck with stats every game is it's own individual situations. I sure has hell do not want to give a guy like Rodgers or Brees and extra set of downs because I know they are capable of striking quick.
  10. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Active Member

950 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    I think you'll find that turnover ratio is the big influence here.

In three of the losses (Atlanta being even) we were on the wrong side of the turnover ratio.

Against Carolina we were on the right side.

Turnovers are key.
  11. Idgit

26,663 Messages
    2,794 Likes Received
    I always knew there had to be an unpacked statistic in there, but I"m surprised it was as simple as looking at the offensive/defensive team splits.

I'm not surprised defenses that get penalized don't have a negative correlation with winning. I can see a number of situations where the aggressiveness that gets you encroachment or PI or holding calls is a symptom of an active defense that can offset the penalty yards. It really only takes one big play to offset a game's worth of penalty yardage.

Maybe I'm reading into it, but do you recall how significant the correlation between offensive penalties and winning was? It sounds like maybe even that wasn't as significant as people tend to assume, otherwise it's hard to believe it's effect could be washed out by the defensive correlation.
  12. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,045 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    You still don’t get it buddy although you still keep posting in this “no point” thread. :laugh2:
  13. Idgit

26,663 Messages
    2,794 Likes Received
    This is, or course, right. For some reason, it's unsatisfying to people, but it really is what gets you beat. Giving up ST scores is another, and one that bit us in BAL in a game we'd probably have otherwise won.
  14. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They where also in the negative on TO in that game where they turned it over in the red zone prevented at least a FG :mad:
  15. Idgit

26,663 Messages
    2,794 Likes Received
    Yep. I sit there early in games keeping track of the TO differential. When they returned the kick, I said to myself, the chances that we overcome this are almost insurmountable. Then we almost did, until Felix fumbled away the winning points on what was looking like another successful drive. Frustrating.
  16. ROUSH8692

ROUSH8692 Well-Known Member

1,177 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    Ignorance is Bliss
    [IMG]
  17. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Turn overs are hard enough to over come but turning them over in the red zone areas are brutal on a team.