1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

17-year-old sexual assault victim could face charges for tweeting names of attackers

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by 03EBZ06, Jul 23, 2012.

1. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    A Kentucky girl who was sexually assaulted could face contempt of court charges after she tweeted the names of her juvenile attackers.

Savannah Dietrich, the 17-year-old victim, was frustrated by a plea deal reached late last month by the two boys who assaulted her, and took to Twitter to expose them--violating a court order to keep their names confidential.

"There you go, lock me up," Dietrich tweeted after naming the perpetrators. "I'm not protecting anyone that made my life a living Hell." Her Twitter account has since been closed.

Attorneys for the attackers asked a Jefferson District Court judge to hold Dietrich in contempt for lashing out on Twitter. She could face up to 180 days in jail and a $500 fine if convicted. The boys have yet to be sentenced for the August 2011 attack.

"So many of my rights have been taken away by these boys," Dietrich told Louisville's Courier-Journal. "I'm at the point, that if I have to go to jail for my rights, I will do it. If they really feel it's necessary to throw me in jail for talking about what happened to me as opposed to throwing these boys in jail for what they did to me, then I don't understand justice."

For rest ---> http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout...tter-sexual-assault-louisville-174732753.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------

It's very obvious that she didn't want plea bargain for attackers and I do think she has every right to name those two who sexually abused her while she was passed out. Yes, she was at a party, the article didn't say whether she was drunk or not, but that doesn't matter, just because a girl is passed out at a party doesn't give guys green light to sexually abuse her and take pics for everyone to see what they were doing to her.
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,889 Messages
    4,241 Likes Received
    She admits she knows she is breaking the law and does not care so I have no problem with her or the charges against her.
  3. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,070 Messages
    1,264 Likes Received
    She could have easily done this anonymously
  4. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,884 Messages
    378 Likes Received
    She did the right thing, i really don't care what the law says in cases like this where the offenders are treated as victims and the victims treated like trash
  5. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Bingo.. i love this girl. She has more brains and more guts than most of the adults in her town. Her life was ruined by two boys who raped her while she was passed out and the rapists get a plea deal and she's told by the judge to shut her mouth and not reveal their names?

Sad time we live in..
  6. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    She'll probably get more jail time than the attackers. :(
  7. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Good for her. Maybe it takes someone doing something like this to make it clear that the law protecting criminals are full of ****. Their age didn't prevent them from committing an adult sized crime, it shouldn't act as a shield conversely.
  8. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What's wrong with what she said? She was RAPED by these two clowns and didn't get justice.
  9. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    She did a good thing. I would have encouraged anyone else in her shoes to do the same if the outcome was the deal these attackers received.

How do they get to remain anonymous through the crime? Why should laws protect sexual predators just because they are under 18?

How stupid!

Good on her. Now the public knows just who these predators are and can protect themselves. I got no problem w/ it.
  10. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,986 Messages
    1,741 Likes Received
    Nothing was wrong, but some are upset because the boys were underage. They deserve everything coming to them. I would have put them on the front page of the NY times
  11. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,712 Messages
    630 Likes Received
    If she wasn't part of the plea agreement, why is she forced to obey by it? Sounds ridiculous, beyond idiotic. Her free speech rights are being violated and I hope she sues and gets lots of money.

Stupid laws!
  12. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,889 Messages
    4,241 Likes Received
    I could be wrong here but I don't think the plea deal has much to do with why she got in trouble. I think she got in trouble because of the attackers ages and the laws about giving out the names of juveniles.

I think some are trying to turn it into an argument about the plea agreement and her free speech when it does not have anything to do with the plea agreement other than she did not know about it and was mad about it and rightfully so to be mad about it.

I don't have a problem at all with her doing what she done because she knew the consequences of her actions and appears to be willing to accept that in order to give out the info she thinks she should give.
  13. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    The court order the judge gave her not to reveal the names is seperate from a plea agreement. Not that it matters, because both are supremely stupid. Telling a victim they can't talk about or reveal the names of those that raped them and offering a plea agreement for two people who raped someone who was passed out? Really America?
  14. NorthTexan95

NorthTexan95 Active Member

1,236 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    So how was her life ruined? She's still alive ... she still appears to have the ability to life a long, full life. There are many people who can't say the same.

I really don't mind her tweeting the info because she knows the penalty and is willing to pay it if needed. I can understand that that feeling. Hopefully, she quickly gets past this quickly. Her life is not "ruined". She needs to stop letting these rapists drive her to more bad decisions.
  15. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wow just wow are you serious with that question? She was RAPED, didn't get justice, and is most likely scared for life.
  16. RoyTheHammer

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I have no words for this post..unreal.
  17. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I can't believe he had the audicity to ask that question.
  18. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have no problem with her tweeting the names and also have no problem with her being punished for it. She broke the law and has to face the consequences, but at the same time those boys deserve to be known as worthless pieces of crap for the rest of their lives.
  19. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Until you are the victim of rape or have a close personal relationship with someone who was you shouldnt speak on the matter. Rape is a crime that sticks with people moreso than any other and truly does follow them forever. Many have trouble sleeping for the rest of their lives and often develop serious phobias that take years of therapy and medication to overcome.
  20. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,892 Messages
    324 Likes Received
    Anyone that has a problem with what she did is a clown.