1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

1973 Season on ESPN Classic

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Nors, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Showed 1973 Rams playoff game -

Great stuff - Noticed 2 things

1) Roger Staubach patted the ball a lot too! They showed too clips in a row and he patted it 4 or 5 times.

2) Someone had a who does Crayton remind you of thread a ways back..... Its Drew Pearson!
  2. dragon_mikal

dragon_mikal Darth Jones strikes again! Zone Supporter

4,916 Messages
    886 Likes Received
    Only thing is, Roger could move around in the pocket to give himself more time.

This is what I've heard, anyway. Never got to see him play.
  3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,175 Messages
    2,759 Likes Received
    Do yourself a favor and get some old tapes. :D
  4. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,366 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Do yourself a favor and take big dogs advice gets some tapes of Roger.....you will not be disappointed. ;)
  5. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,171 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    If you do nothing else in your life, do that. BDC is absolutely correct. A very good piece of advice right there.
  6. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,366 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Sorry, just one thing I forgot to mention. As soon as you see one tape of Roger,You will have an instant understanding of why most of us Old Guys are so picky about our QBs.
  7. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,015 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Roger was very limited in what he could do as a QB as a result of the era he played in and Landry's conservative play-calling.

Roger, imo, really showed his talent when we were behind and Landry was forced to remove the cuffs from him and let Roger cut it loose. Roger was the King of the comeback way before Elway ever came along!
  8. Cowboysguy

Cowboysguy New Member

112 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He definitely spoiled me for life...

I actually got to stay home from school the day he announced his retirement, I was crying so hard...
  9. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,366 Messages
    1 Likes Received

A very sad day indeed........there wasn't many dry eyes on that day for sure.
  10. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives.

6,961 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    Yep, I thought he was good for a couple of more years. Concussions have removed Roger and Troy before their time. Warriors all.
  11. JakeCamp12

JakeCamp12 Well-Known Member

2,092 Messages
    65 Likes Received
    I cried that day when Roger announced he was quitting. Then I got to spend the next 3 years crying after each NFC Championship game. Loved Danny White, it killed me when Montana stole his Super Bowl. That team was White's best shot at winning a Bowl.
  12. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I too was lucky enough to watch Staubach as a kid in the 70's. Even luckier to see him in person 3 times in late 70's. With Dorsett, Pearson, Hill, TE's, Newhouse - what a team.

Have a picture up close of the Front Four.

Martin, White, Dutton, Jones.

Beasts in the day.
  13. Bill Wooten

Bill Wooten Active Member

612 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    I have a problem with this post. I cried like a baby and still have the newspaper article that announce Roger's "retirement". But Roger never "QUIT"!!!!!

BTW, this is nothing personal. I'm loving the fact that there is another KISS fan on the board.
  14. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Back to the post - anytime someone rags on Bledsoe for Patting the ball. Remember Roger did EXACTLY the same thing.

I also have to scurry - They showed Miami in 73 and talked of their 3-4 defense - Is that true?
  15. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,031 Messages
    231 Likes Received
    Just because Staubach did it too, doesn't make it a good idea. It's a wasted motion and increases the likelihood of a fumble.
  16. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I know some pick Aikman, but I have to go with Staubach as the greatest QB in Dallas history.

But I one thing I will say is that the Cowboys would really have some flat games where they absolutely showed no sense of urgency.

I think the chief reason for this was because most of the team was so confident that no matter how poorly they played, Staubach and Landry would find a way to pull it out.

And like someone earlier said, Staubach was magical when Landry had to let him loose and play his game in the final minutes.
  17. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bledsoe fumbles less than Favre, Brady,Vick, Warner.

Just pointing out that fact. Ans observing Roger Pated the ball too.
  18. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,175 Messages
    2,759 Likes Received
    There are more of us than you realize.
  19. dwmyers

dwmyers Well-Known Member

2,046 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    They had a defense they called a 53 defense, featuring LB Bob Matheson, a tweener who would play as a DE sometimes and sometimes fall back in coverage. They way they played it, it looked like a 4-3 at the start but played like a 3-4 with a linebacker starting at the line.

It was very confusing in its day; most pro teams were expecting a 4-3.
  20. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received

interesting - they were talking about "Miami's" 3-4. Thanks for the background.