1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: 2007 Season Quick Cap Update (Post #82)- $394,960 - 01/05/08

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by AdamJT13, Aug 15, 2007.

1. noletime95

noletime95 Well-Known Member

1,081 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Also, what would the cap hit be if Glenn retires or is releases?
  2. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,935 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    Update (1/5/08) -- After extending Patrick Crayton's contract and giving Tony Curtis a bogus $3.5 million incentive in order to push cap room into 2008, we're now $394,960 under the cap. The rest of that will get eaten up by incentives for Ken Hamlin, Flozell Adams and Anthony Spencer (which also will cut into the amount we actually get pushed forward for 2008).
  3. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,954 Messages
    662 Likes Received
    So no more contracts done until after the season?
  4. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,935 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    It is after the season. After the last regular-season game, you can't change anything for 2007. Players get only the playoff pay now (the set amount for winning or losing each game), and that doesn't count against the cap.

Any contracts done now would be for 2008 and beyond and would affect only those years' caps.
  5. sjordan6

sjordan6 Member

708 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So now that the season is over and everyone is signed who they wanted signed, what does the cap look like for next season? I figure that Adams will not be resigned and I think the Cowboys will only make the the tender offer for Barber and Canty. I think Hamlin will not break the bank to stay and I am hoping they resign Reeves to a three year deal at a reasonable price. But before all that goes down, what will the 2008 cap look like for the Cowboys?
  6. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,954 Messages
    662 Likes Received
    Well, then it certainly makes sense for Dallas to get the 2007 cap down that low. Just another sign that Jones does not scrimp as an owner, trying to use every last dollar to put together and keep together a good team.
  7. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,718 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    I think Adam used the figure of about $18 mil under next year's projected cap.

The challenge I see is that we're going to have two moderately expensive restricted free agents in Canty and Barber, not too mention two first rounds draft picks that will of course eat into that cap figure.

Then you have Hamlin and Reeves to potentially deal with, plus the one big quandry in Flozell Adams, who could eat-up huge cap space.

And then we have to consider extending Newman's contract next before he leaves as a FA at the end the '08 season.
  8. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,166 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    we are in good shape
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Unless we trade up our first rd picks are not going to cost us that much in cap space. Canty will not cost that much either; Barber will cost more but I doubt that much. Jerrah will be saving his pennies for Newman. And maybe a fairly expensive FA CB or WR.
  10. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,807 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    I think we can forget about Reeves.