1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: 2011 (and 2012) Salary Cap Breakdown ... $17,149,501 under (Post #147)

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by AdamJT13, Oct 9, 2011.

1. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,934 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    We should need less than $1.8 million of cap room to sign all of our rookies.
  2. AdamJT13

14,934 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    The rookie allotment is different from the amount of cap room that is needed to sign the rookies. Depending on how much (if at all) the cap goes up, our rookie allotment should be about $5.14 million. But because of the Top 51 Rule, the actual cap room needed to sign all of them is much less than that -- any rookies who make our Top 51 will knock someone else out (so those player's base salaries won't count against the cap in the offseason), and for any rookies who don't make our Top 51, their base salaries won't count during the offseason. That's about $3.42 million in base salaries that won't count, so that $5.14 million allotment would reduce our cap room by only about $1.72 million.
  3. DON DON

DON DON New Member

28 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I trust you more than anyone to let us know where we actually stand after franchising Spencer! What do you think we (in reality) do in free agency now? Do we still have money for two impact free agents, a back up QB, and maybe Robinson? Also Fiammetta?
  4. Canadian BoyzFan

Canadian BoyzFan Active Member

3,315 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Yes....now go drink a warm cup o milk.
    Its gonna be ok.
  5. DON DON

DON DON New Member

28 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Are talking to me Canadian??????????? If so we can meet anytime u want!!!!!!!!!!! Frenchee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just so you know!
  6. mgsmith100

mgsmith100 New Member

1 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Adam

I have tried to piece together from your threads, Rotoworld and from Sporttrac.com the salary cap information. Below is a spreadsheet / table I have put together.

In the last column, I sorted from 1-4. 1 = Sure to make club, 2 = not so sure so I have either put peoples name and postions or just positions. 3 = Rookies and capped it at $1.8mm. 4 = dead money or those items that do not fit 1-3. Also in category 4 I have projected those current players that get cut after June 1.

Would it be possible for you to look at this or do your own table / spreadsheet?

Sorry about the format, does not seem to do table formats.

tks up front

Player Pos Total Rating
    M. Jenkins CB $1.7 1
    O. Scand. CB $7.7 1
    B Church CBS $0.5 1
    D. Mcray CBS $0.5 1
    G. Sens. CBS $1.8 1
    J. Hatcher DE $2.1 1
    M. Spears DE $2.7 1
    S. Lissimore DE $0.5 1
    J. Ratliff DT $5.3 1
    J. Brent DT $0.5 1
    B. Carter LBI $1.1 1
    S. Lee LBI $0.8 1
    D. Ware LBO $10.3 1
    V. Butler LBO $0.7 1
    D. Arkin OG $0.6 1
    D. Free OT $8.1 1
    T. Smith OT $2.8 1
    S. Mcgee QB $0.7 1
    T. Romo QB $8.1 1
    D. Murray RB $0.6 1
    F. Jones RB $1.9 1
    P. Tanner RB $0.4 1
    T. Fiam. RB $1.3 1
    D. Bailer ST $0.5 1
    L. Lacad. ST $0.9 1
    J. Whitten TE $5.5 1
    J. Phillips TE $0.6 1
    D. Bryant WR $3.7 1
    M. Austin WR $2.7 1
    Total 1 $74.6
    FA - Vet CB $1.0 2
    FA - Vet CB $8.0 2
    FA - Vet CBS $2.5 2
    C. Gathers DE $0.6 2
    FA - Vet LBI $1.0 2
    A. Albright LBO $0.5 2
    FA - Vet LBO $8.8 2
    FA - Vet OC $0.7 2
    P. Costs OC $0.5 2
    B. Naga OG $0.5 2
    K. Kosier OG $2.0 2
    FA - Vet OT $1.5 2
    J. Parnell OT $0.6 2
    FA - Vet ST $0.6 2
    L. Robinson WR $2.5 2
    J. Holly WR $0.4 2
    R. Radway WR $0.4 2
    Total 2 $32.1
    Rookie CB $1.8 3
    Rookie DE $- 3
    Rookie DT $- 3
    Rookie LBI $- 3
    Rookie OG $- 3
    Rookie QB $- 3
    Rookie TE $- 3
    Total 3 $1.8
    Prev. Dead Mon. $25.6 4
    T. Newman CB $3.0 4
    D. Buehler ST $0.0 4
    J. Kitna $1.0
    K. Brooking $0.8
    Prac. Sqd. $0.8 4
    K. Coleman $0.1 4
    CBA $(1.5) 4
    Cap Carry $(17.1) 4
    Total 4 $12.8
    Total $121.3
  7. JustDezIt

JustDezIt Formerly sm0kie13 ROY

3,627 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Bat Signal. We have Cap Movement. You are needed.
  8. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,109 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    The cap came at 120.6m. If we have 124m committed and can add 17m....we should have about 13.6m in cap space. Before adding Spencer's tag 8.85m tag and Fiammetta's 1.26 tender, and before the restructure that they supposedly did with Dez that saved about a million. With rule of 51, net increase to cap with those three moves should be about 8.2m. Set aside 2m to cover the rookie pool that is 10.2m committed.

I am roughly guessing that we have about 3.4m in cap space after the moves above.

Would assume we will start doing the restructures soon on Scandrick, Free and Ware as we need to. And would expect Newman and Buehler to go bye-bye, as well as possibly Coleman. The restructures can add around 12m if I understand correctly, and the cuts about 7.5m after applying the rule of 51. I think we can also take a 1.5m future cap credit so could very well have about 24.5m to shop with and already have Spencer, Fiammetta and the rookies accounted for.

I know my figures aren't exact but would think they are fairly close...hopefully Adam will post exact numbers and confirm my approximate numbers.

With creative structuring of any incoming salaries we could have a pretty interesting free agency to say the least.
  9. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

10,995 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    Whew...halfway through reading your post, I was thinking, "what the heck can we do with only $3.4m?" If your estimations are correct, we should be able to bring in at least 2 top free agents and a few second tier guys as well.
  10. Fla Cowpoke

2,109 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    Sorry to give you a heart attack.

I am not saying my numbers are exact, but they should be in the ballpark. I know Bluefin Tuna did a workup as well and we were in the same vicinity so as it stands, yes, I think we can be players.

I personally am not an advocate of using every possible move but it's nice to know that we have a lot of options if we decide to.
  11. Blue Eyed Devil

Blue Eyed Devil Active Member

474 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Cowboys are officially $4.7 million under the cap.

Seems Adam missed by about $5 million.
  12. AdamJT13

14,934 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    I didn't miss by anything, because I've never said anything about how much cap room we have for 2012. I've been waiting for all of our tenders and adjustments and for the final cap number to be set before saying anything.
  13. Blue Eyed Devil

Blue Eyed Devil Active Member

474 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    oops, my bad.
  14. Fla Cowpoke

2,109 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    Simple math people

we have 124m committed. The cap is 120.6m. We can carry forward 17.1 so our cap is 137.7....we were approx 13.7 under cap. We added 8.4m for Spencer's cap hit and about 800k for Fiammetta's tender(remember rule of 51) so subtract 9.2m. You get 4.5m.

That is the approximate cap number now but we can add 25-30m with cuts of non essential players like Newman, Buehler and Coleman, along with the credits we will get for Brooking and Kitna or the cap credit we can borrow from future cap, nor does it include the money we can save from restructuring a few contracts.

he people that keep whining about money just are refusing to listen to reality....they want something to piss and moan about. Can't wait to see your exact breakdown Adam.
  15. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,908 Messages
    3,858 Likes Received
    You're just going to roll over? I think you need to let Adam have it some more.
  16. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,273 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    Question about the new CBA and the ability to roll over unused cap space.

How does this differ from the LTBE incentive? No longer have to go through the exercise of adjusting contracts to write in a bogus LTBE incentive?

Unused cap space is a credit to the next year's cap?
  17. AdamJT13

14,934 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    The LTBE loophole still exists, but no, teams don't have to go through that charade anymore. They just send the league a letter indicating how much of their unused cap room they want to carry over.

From the CBA --

(v) Carrying Over Room. A Club may “carry over” Room from one League Year to the following League Year by submitting notice in writing signed by the owner to the NFL no later than fourteen (14) days prior to the start of the next League Year indicating the maximum amount of Room that the Club wishes to carry over. The NFL shall promptly provide a copy of any such notice to the NFLPA. The amount of Room carried over will be adjusted downward based on the final Room available after the year-end reconciliation
  18. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,273 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    Thanks.

Is there any scenario where a team wouldn't carry over whatever was left from the previous season? I can't imagine one.
  19. Fla Cowpoke

2,109 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    For teams that are 30-40m under the cap, not sure what the point would be to do it. Don't know if it has any ties to the sal cap floor though....maybe you wouldn't carry money forward if it meant you had to pay more to reach the floor. I really am not sure how all these things are related but possibly along those lines?
  20. Noone

Noone New Member

31 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Adam....do you have the current numbers as of today???

I know alot has happened but was curious if you had finished your calculations???