1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: 2011 (and 2012) Salary Cap Breakdown ... $17,149,501 under (Post #147)

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by AdamJT13, Oct 9, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Adam, would we have enough money to sign
    1. Carl Nicks or Ben Grubs
    2. Chris Myers C from Houston
    3. Calais Campbell DE from Arizona or Mario Williams DE/LB Houston
    4. Carlos Rogers CB or Landry S from Washington

These 4 moves would give us a quick facelift and improve our roster to where we could draft mainly for need this year with best player available and not reach.

So, if we could swing it enough for these 4 players above, and enough to sign our draft picks, would we have enough money to sign at least 4 big named players mentioned above? By letting players like Newman, Brooking, James, Holland, Dockery, Costa, Coleman, possibly Spencer, Bennett maybe and Elam, would that clear enough money to sign the 4 players mentioned above in free agency this year and still sign our draft picks, and still be able to sign L Robinson too?
  2. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

946 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    Plenty of (cap) room to improve

Teams have approximately $711 million of combined cap space; who's in best shape?

The numbers are in.

One of the new parts of the NFL collective bargaining agreement is the ability of teams to roll over remaining cap room into the next season. The 2011 season finished with $320 million of remaining cap room. Thirty teams carried over $301.78 million of unused cap money to give the 32 teams approximately $711 million of combined room as they start to prepare for the 2012 season.

Any questions?

Have a question for John Clayton? Connect with him here.

The 2011 salary cap was $120.375 million, and the 2012 ceiling is expected to be close. The exact number is calculated based on revenues and should be available in the next week or two.

The Houston Texans and San Diego Chargers didn't have enough remaining room to push money over into 2012, so Houston has $3.3 million of cap space and San Diego has $9.2 million.

The Jacksonville Jaguars didn't spend $31 million of cap room in 2011, so they now have $45 million of room. The Kansas City Chiefs have $62.995 million after budgeting $24.014 million from the 2011 season. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers, thanks to $23.519 million of carryover cap money, have the second-most cap space with $60.496 million. The Cincinnati Bengals moved over $15 million from last year and have $60 million to spend. Dan Snyder of the Washington Redskins has plenty of room to get quarterback and receiver help, thanks to $47.56 million of cap space. The 2011 playoff teams in good shape are the Denver Broncos ($50.735 million of cap room), San Francisco 49ers ($39.33 million), Atlanta Falcons ($30.6 million) and New England Patriots ($20 million). To get to the $50 million mark, the Broncos carried over $26 million of unused cap.

Four teams still have to get under the salary cap by March 13. They are the Pittsburgh Steelers, who have redone three contracts to be $11.7 million over, the Oakland Raiders ($11 million over), the Carolina Panthers ($9.6 million over) and the New York Giants ($7.3 million over).
    These number sound good but how far are teams willing to go over the cap , when all of it will dissapear in 2013? This is the first i had heard of cap numbers this large so what is the scoop?
  3. Blue Eyed Devil

Blue Eyed Devil Active Member

474 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Hey Adam, why is Keith Brooking due $3 million in 2012 in your calculations? My understanding is that he was unsigned in 2012 and was a free agent.
  4. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,017 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    Brooking is signed through 2013, but the last two years will void. His cap number will be $800,000 after his contract voids.

Jon Kitna's contract will void, too. He'll cost us $1 million in dead money, but that's $2.7 million less than what his cap number was scheduled to be.
  5. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Saw your post on how Dallas finished.

Are there any players who could reasonably be cut for a decent amount of space?
  6. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

3,043 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    I'll take a stab.

K David Buehler hit an escalator clause and has a $1.26 million base salary in 2012.

That's 1.26 million reasons not to take Buehler to training camp.

The job is Dan Bailey's and Kai Forbath can be the extra leg in camp.

DE Kenyon Coleman has a $1.9 million base salary in 2012 and only $350K in remaining signing bonus.

DE Marcus Spears has a $2 million base salary in 2012 along with $700K in signing bonus proration. (we'd take a $2.1M dead money hit in 2013).

Buehler and Coleman would free up $3.16 million in cap room if released, Spears would bump the number to $5.16 million if his services are no longer needed.
  7. Blue Eyed Devil

Blue Eyed Devil Active Member

474 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Interesting, I did not know that.

Where does the $1 million in dead money come from if Kitna retires? It seems strange you have to pay out something in salary cap for a player that voluntarily leaves the league.
  8. AdamJT13

15,017 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    His contract voids, so whether he retired or not doesn't matter. Even if he didn't retire, his contract would void, and we'd still have $1 million in dead money for him.

He got a $2.5 million bonus in 2009. We were charged $500,000 against the cap for that bonus in 2009, 2010 and 2011. That leaves $1 million remaining to charge against our cap for that bonus, and it will all count against the 2012 cap.
  9. AdamJT13

15,017 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    The 2012 cap has not been set yet, but right now, we have a cap adjustment of $17,132,826. That might be the exact amount of unused cap room that we carried over, or it might include the $1.5 million that we can "borrow" from future caps, or it might even include other adjustments from previous years.

This means that wherever the cap is set, our cap will actually be $17,132,826 more than that. So, for example, if the cap is set at $124 million, we'd be able to spend up to $141,132,826. It's possible that our cap adjustment might change between now and the start of the league year (or even after that), which could give us even more cap room.
  10. JIGGYFLY

JIGGYFLY Active Member

1,367 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Hey Adam when will having to reach a cap floor start affecting what teams do in Free Agency.

At some point Tampa and teams like them are going to have to start shelling out some big time cash.
  11. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,689 Messages
    590 Likes Received
    I guess the question is...as of right now, how much do we have committed to the 2012 cap? I understand that whatever the cap is we can add the $17,132,826 to it but that really doesn't tell us how much room we have...it tells us how high we can go.

If the cap is 124m, and we have 130m committed, then the 17m on top only gives us 11m to work with.

Do we actually have 17m right now in cap space, before cutting and redoing, etc?
  12. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Minus 8.8M just given to Spencer as of this time unless a LTC can be worked out
  13. Fla Cowpoke

2,689 Messages
    590 Likes Received
    Disregard above...I found the info on the first page of this thread. So we have 17.1m in cap space prior to Spencer's signing.
  14. AdamJT13

15,017 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    I haven't said anything about how much cap room we have because the cap hasn't been set yet, and until a little while ago, we didn't know whether we would tag Spencer. Our cap room will still depend on who else we tender, any cuts or restructuring that takes place before the league year begins and possibly other adjustments (such as borrowing $1.5 million from future caps, if we haven't already).

Before tagging or tendering anyone, we had $124.36 million committed to the 2012 cap. That was with exactly 51 players under contract, which means that the Rule of 51 will come into play when we add players (including tags and tenders).
  15. AdamJT13

15,017 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    The first minimum cash spending requirement for teams is for the 2013-2016 league years. So, teams might start planning ahead for that, but they don't really have to start spending a lot to meet that minimum until 2015 or even 2016, if they want to do it that way.
  16. Fla Cowpoke

2,689 Messages
    590 Likes Received
    Ok....

Last year's cap was around 120m, just assuming it stays the same (I have heard that most likely it will go up slightly) but if we have 124.36 committed, and we add our 17.1m to last year's cap number, then that gives approximately 12.74 in cap space....very similar to the 12.6 the media has been throwing around. Don't know if that includes the 1.5m adjustment, but it sounds like the 12.6 number is the one we should be working with as a guideline.

Does the current cap commitment of 124.36m include Kitna's full hit or has his retirement adjustment been accounted for? I know you said in another post on this thread that it would save 2.7m. On the first page, you said we could save 4 to 6m on Newman, 2.2m on Brooking, about 4m on Scandrick and about 5m on Free. Pretty sure we could save 1.26m on Buehler as Bluefin Tuna said, and about 1.9m on Coleman as well. You also posted we could gain 3.3m restructuring Ware.

If we use the 12.6m number, we could add up to about 25m with those moves. Am I in the ball park?

So even with the 8.8 we just took for Spencer, which in reality will add like 8.4m to the cap, we probably have around 4.2m in room right now, with the potential to add around 25m if we made all the moves above (and we could have a little more if the cap goes up).
  17. JIGGYFLY

JIGGYFLY Active Member

1,367 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Ok thanks for the info.

That means contracts will not be getting crazy until at least 2014 and beyond.
  18. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,967 Messages
    3,465 Likes Received
    Don’t forget though we have X amount that is allotted for the draft picks.
  19. Fla Cowpoke

2,689 Messages
    590 Likes Received
    Yeah,

I know we would still have to take the erfa money which I beleive is a couple million and rookie money....but the rookie money should only be about 3m in additional money because of rule of 51. Fiammetta's the only RFA I think we are tendering.

But we should have the capability to do up to about 23m in free agency if we wanted(not that I recommend every move...I don't like the idea of redoing Free's after his year last year). But even 15m to spend would get us Robinson, Carr and probably a cheap QB and ILB.

We won't be able to go nuts, but we don't have to sit on our thumbs either.
  20. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,967 Messages
    3,465 Likes Received
    I agree. I have seen the rookie allotment for the Cowboys being reported higher than a couple of mill but Dallas still should be able to free up the space to make some significant moves in FA