1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

2011 Offensive linemen draft sporting news section

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Oct 8, 2010.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...nsas-love-stands-head-offensive-linemen-class
    Sporting News
    Offensive tackles always are a hot commodity on draft day, but the 2011 class features more high-end centers and guards than in the past. As in, there should be as many interior linemen selected in the first two rounds as offensive tackles next April.

After breaking down game film all summer, here is our scouts' rankings for the top offensive linemen entering the college season:

1. DeMarcus Love, OT, Arkansas, 6-5/316
    He is big and athletic and just jumps off the game film. He shows the rare athleticism to make NFL line coaches drool, capable of protecting the blind side against even the best speed rushers. He also is strong enough to neutralize bull rushers inside, too. He is not a finished product, but he is so gifted and has improved so much in college that he projects as an elite NFL left tackle. In '09, he performed better than Trent Williams and Russell Okung, the fourth- and sixth-overall picks last April. Projection: First-round pick.

2. Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College, 6-7/298
    He is tall with a long, lean build and good athleticism. A three-year starter, he has experience at right and left tackle. He shows the quickness and athleticism to protect the corner from speed rushers and continues to work hard to keep his man from disrupting the play. He does need to bulk up to better hold his ground against bull rushers and more consistently block with knees bent to maintain good leverage. Projection: First-round pick.

3. Nate Solder, OT, Colorado, 6-8/303
    He is a raw prospect who came to Colorado as a tight end. The transition to tackle has gone well because of his great athleticism and fluid hip movements. He shows decent knee bend but must improve his blocking technique to create better leverage against bull rushers and on in-line run blocks. He must learn to better use his hands in pass protection, but he is at his best setting the edge and creating a nice pocket for his QB. When sealing the corner, he will get his shoulders turned too early and get beaten by quick moves back to the inside. Solder could fly up draft boards this fall. Projection: Second-round pick.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...ds-head-offensive-linemen-class#ixzz11p1v90uR
  2. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State, 6-5/306
    He is big, thick and strong, capable of dominating defenders in the running game when using good technique. He has the strength to move the pile at the point of attack. In pass protection, he will eliminate his man once he locks up on him. He must prove he has the quickness and athleticism to protect the corner against explosive NFL speed rushers.

will be the first OT taken IMO
  3. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    I wish Dallas would go ahead and and invest in a couple of these prospects ,or maybe even Marcus Cannon, to rebuild the line. James Brewer from Indiana is one prospect that is moving up the boards but I don`t know what kind of injuries he has had. Considering the need on the line, I would not be surprised to see Jerry draft a lb or wr. Thanks Joe , good article.
  4. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I predict we draft fewer OL and lower than what fans expect.

Fans automatically assume the guys on the bench are garbage.

I could easily see us drafting a LG prospect and nothing else.

I think the staff has every intention of grooming up Brewster and Young as future starters at RG and RT.
  5. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    I agree with you. Dallas will not invest much in the line. Wish they would. Hard to build a dominant line with low round draft picks and free agent cast-offs. I don`t assume that Young , Brewster or Costa are garbage but I`m not going to assume that they will become anything more than average if they ever become starters.
  6. cowboyjoe

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    yw buddy
  7. The Realist

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I disagree.

Our OL in the 90's was a couple of 3rd rounders, castoffs and a UDFA.

Tui was a UDFA DT converted to OT. Nate Newton was a USFL castoff. Gesek was originally a 10th round pick of the Raiders who we acquired by trading a 5th rounder. Stepnoski and Erik Williams were 3rd rounders.

Skill players make the OL more than the other way around. OL players have to be good enough.....not great. Great skill players make a good OL look great.

Case in point......Alex Smith makes SF's 3 first rounders and 2 second rounders on the OL look mediocre. Put Peyton, Romo, Brees, or Brady at QB there and it takes the O to another stratosphere. Put Alex Smith on Indy, NO, Pats, Cowboys and they all look horrendous.

There was a big difference between Bledsoe patting the ball 12 times and a QB who gets the ball out of his hand when Romo came in.
  8. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    I think they both go hand in hand. The skill players and the line. We had some great scouting which helped with the line of the 90`s that I`m not so sure that we have now. My biggest concern is the age of four of the starters on the line and how and when they will be replaced. There are several ways to go about upgrading and replacing the current line, but which one is best ?Everybody has different thoughts about the importance of the line`s play. I still believe that the game is won in the trenches .
  9. cowboyjoe

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    thats true, but we took larry allen and flozell adams in 2nd round too

i see if cowboys pick real low, say 30th to 32nd pick in next years draft and wineskie is there, the center/guard, cowboys will take him, if a top DE or free safety isnt there

if cowboys do take a de or fs, i see cowboys going after a offensive linmen in 2nd and 4th rounds
  10. cowboyjoe

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    i see cowboys either taking an offensive linemen with 31st or 32nd pick if cowboys draft that low, or taking an offensive linemen in 2nd and 4th rounds

only other true need we have besides offensive linemen next year, is at DE since hatcher, spears and bowen will all be free agents next year

we have a free safety on roster now in ansah
  11. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    After the Titans game , the Cowboy fans may want pay more attention to the offensive line updates that Joe posts.
  12. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,066 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    We need guards, not tackles. I fully expect Sam Young or Robert Brewster to usurp the RT spot next year, but we need to find a future replacement for Kosier and an immediate replacement for Leonard Davis.
  13. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    Brewster has been used as a guard in practice according to an article I read the last couple of days. I hope Young can become a player , but another good tackle prospect couldn`t do anything but help.
  14. The Realist

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm really hoping Brewster shows well at RG.

As we can see, we need guards with tackle feet.

Especially in Garrett's pass happy offense.
  15. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    He seems to have more of the size that would fit him playing guard.
  16. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,785 Messages
    126 Likes Received

I tend to agree that we may draft fewer OL and lower. The draftee will need to be able to have an immediate impact in order to warrant a first round selection.

DeMarcus Love could be an intriguing prospect in the first round. I think he would have enough versatility and talent to potentially contribute immediately as either an OT or OG.
  17. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I watched him closely - don't think hes got the feet to be LT

Love is one of the highly-rated tackles of the class because of his strength and athleticism, though it seems he is better served on the strong side or at guard than the left tackle spot.

now RT or RG I could see it

really the only OG's I like are

Steve Schilling, G, Michigan
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 297 3 rd - 4 rd

Clint Boling, G, Georgia
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 305.
    Projected 40 Time: 5.05.
    Projected Round (2011): 4-6.
    4/3/10: Has done a great job filling in at left tackle for the constantly injured Trinton Sturdivant. Made the All-SEC Second Team in 2009.

Ricky Henry Neb 6-4 #300 - now this kid can play

I would add these two guys

Benjamin Ijalana, G/OT, Villanova
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 320.

Will Rackley, G, Lehigh
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 310.

but I think it will take them a couple years

I would love a first or rounder around there who can play right away