Recommended 2013 Draftees linked to the Cowboys...How they did

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by honyock, Apr 12, 2014.

1. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

6,839 Messages
    1,752 Likes Received

100% agree.
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

22,446 Messages
    12,187 Likes Received
    I would say that Fred, Williams and Holloman far exceeded their draft positions. Escobar was really good as a receiver. Witten wasn't a good blocker as a rookie either. Wilcox was really good in training camp and up/down during the season. It was really too much to expect him to be a quality starter as a rookie considering that he only played Safety for 1 year in college. Then his Mother died during TC and he was injured during the season. Very few people could overcome all of that, especially considering that he was surrounded by chaos on the defense.
  3. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,490 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    I agree that the coaches had wanted a zone type guard. They didn't even bring him into Valley Ranch. Still, I feel that a guard is a guard and can learn anything if coached right. Maybe he was not a fit but I knew he played well vs the SEC defenders all of 2012. This is kind of a last kiss departing comment on Larry according he was part of this topic of the 2013 draft. Anyhow, We got "Leary!" for a while, and he is no slouch. We all know he has a limited career possibly because of the deteriorating knee. We also know he has an upside and already forced his way into the starting lineup. Its good to get guys like you on this board X to bring up these hands on thoughts about schemes and types of guys.

As for Escobar, I, like 99 percent of the other fans did a WHAT???? when his name came up. I think he is going to have a nice year coming up. I don't see Witten in him at all. He is faster and bigger and seems to be able to lay out for the ball. Keep working him on the blocking. When you want to get on the fans for hating you probably can direct you're attack away from me because unless I see a player who just gave up, or just doesn't give it all, like the Roy Williams twins, then you will see I am an Escobar fan and a fan of every draft pick the team has ever made. I ranted about not taking Owens before he came to Big D. Once he was here I rooted for the Star as always. However about a year before he was let go I was pushing for his trade or release.

Back to guard we needed a pick last season, didn't get one, we need it this year. If we go BPA it will be ok if we draft no guards or two. But we will find one this year as the draft looks full of them. Not sure how many are the zone blocking types yet.
    skinsscalper likes this.
  4. xwalker

22,446 Messages
    12,187 Likes Received
    Good football conversation.

Leary's knee condition is OCD. It's not actually deteriorating, it's more of an all of nothing issue. Jonathan Vilma was diagnosed with the same issue in High School. He went on to play in college and then 10 years in the NFL. Leary might be fine for 10 years or it might pop at any minute.

I have Guard as the top need at this point in time because they have Zero depth. The only backup Guard listed on the roster is DeGeare and he has not played since 2010. Weems did practice some at Guard, but he has not played the position in college or the preseason as far as I know.

When I say Escobar is similar to Witten, it's because both win with size and route running over elite speed. Escobar does seem a little more athletic.
  5. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,490 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    The only backup Guard listed on the roster is DeGeare and he has not played since 2010.

Who? :D
  6. xwalker

22,446 Messages
    12,187 Likes Received
    Exactly.
  7. xwalker

22,446 Messages
    12,187 Likes Received
    Chris DeGeare
    Wake Forest
    2010 draft round 5, pick 30 Vikings
    NFL Listing 6-4, 335, age 27
    Combine
    Height: 6035
    Weight: 325
    40 Yrd Dash: 5.12
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.93
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.71
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 27
    Vertical Jump: 32 1/2
    Broad Jump: 08'07"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.90
    3-Cone Drill: 7.84

Played 8 games with 5 starts for the Vikings in 2010.

On August 31, 2012 as the Vikings reduced their roster down to league maximum of 53 players, he was released.

On September 5, 2012 he was added to the Tennessee Titans practice squad.

On January 8, 2013, DeGeare signed a reserve/future contract with the New York Giants. On August 20, 2013, he was waived/injured by the Giants. On August 21, 2013, he cleared waivers and was placed on the Giants' injured reserve list.

On January 8, 2014, DeGeare was signed to a reserve/future contract by the Dallas Cowboys.

Personal: DeGeare's wife, Moraya, is a graduate student and the granddaughter of the late folk singer and activist, Pete Seeger.
    Common Sense likes this.
  8. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,498 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    I agree with you that the team is desperately thin at guard and I'd love to see someone drafted who could back up or replace Bernardeau.

Having said that. I'd guess that the biggest improvement we could see in the line this year would be a replacement for Free. You've done a great job this offseason of pointing out the adjustments the coaches made to hide and compensate for Free's deficiencies. Having a starter at RT who didn't need that much help would probably simplify assignments for Bern, and it would allow Fred to quit shading his help toward the right side as often.

That would probably benefit Leary as well, since he wouldn't be on his own as often. Leary probably had an underrated year last year, as a first year starter who really didn't get as much help from his center as you'd expect a young guy to get. So a replacement for Free could ripple all the way down the line. The only position it probably wouldn't affect much is LT, since they'll probably keep Smith out there on an island for the next several years no matter what.

But the team would probably have to get lucky to find a tackle in the draft who could step in and be starter ready early on. It could happen, but unless you have some luck, those day one ready guys usually go pretty early.

So the most likely shot at a Free replacement in 2014 is probably for Parnell to step up. Hopefully he can stay healthy in training camp and have a legit shot at it.
  9. Jerryrage

Jerryrage Well-Known Member

751 Messages
    604 Likes Received
    Eric Reid (1st) FS San Fran Starter right away for SF. Physical and aggressive, showed good awareness and smarts. Very good pick, the only worry was concussion issues…he had two during the season, a possibly ominous health-related start for a rookie.

Still too rich Stephen Jones?
  10. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

22,330 Messages
    2,961 Likes Received
    Nothing shaky about Fluker to me. He was going to be a RT only so that limited his value for most.
    That Bama OL was outstanding and he physically manhandled SEC defenders which he turned around and did as an NFL rookie.

Thing I take from the post is Dallas scouting is working. They had in all the top guys. Virtually the entire rookie teams for DL/OL where we knew we needed the most help.
    Corso likes this.
  11. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

28,170 Messages
    5,557 Likes Received
    Great analysis. Nice off-season thread.
  12. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

5,189 Messages
    2,451 Likes Received
    WOW! Personal: DeGeare's wife, Moraya, is a graduate student and the granddaughter of the late folk singer and activist, Pete Seeger.
    Common Sense likes this.
  13. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

14,893 Messages
    5,067 Likes Received
    I thought Kyle Long was the best guard I had seen play all season long. Very impressive player.

YR
  14. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

4,493 Messages
    1,532 Likes Received
    Ron Leary and an old and out of shape Brian Waters were supposed to be our 2 starting guards all season. That doesn't exactly scream zone blocking only if you ask me. I think that the more likely thing is that the scouts just did a poor job of evaluating Warford. It happens every year to every team so its not something to make a huge deal about, but the didn't fit the scheme stuff is just BS.
  15. Future

Future Intramural Legend

17,630 Messages
    2,717 Likes Received
    Plus One!
  16. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

14,893 Messages
    5,067 Likes Received
    I think this year's O-Line play showed me the importance of having a good center. Waters took a little while to get going and after that we had Leary and Benardeau at guard. I think Bernie was helped by Waters' presence and how to go about playing the game as I thought Bernie looked good (not just for his standard of play, for any guard's standard of play) when he was inserted into the lineup.

If you have a good center, I think it can make up for 2 sub-par guards. Of course, it helps to have Tyron who can be left on an island.

This is where I give Callahan credit more than anything...he was pretty insistent in getting a good center and saw that Frederick was their guy for the job and didn't pay attention to Frederick's 40-time. Instead, he looked at his sheer strength, nastiness and brilliant football mind.

YR
  17. xwalker

22,446 Messages
    12,187 Likes Received
    Yes on Waters, but Leary is much more athletic than people believe. He's much quicker than Warford.

There is a misconception that the ZBS requires small/quick guys. Callahan likes big quick-enough guys. I'm referring to game quickness, not combine numbers. We saw with Frederick that combine numbers don't mean much with OLinemen.
  18. xwalker

22,446 Messages
    12,187 Likes Received
    Yep, it was such odd trivia that I didn't delete it.
    waving monkey likes this.
  19. casmith07

casmith07 Attorney-at-Zone

29,901 Messages
    5,562 Likes Received
    A ZBS is as much about quickness as it is about smart football players who work in tandem.

It's a big reason why I think people wanting to cast Bernadeau into the abyss are mistaken. Free is the player who should be replaced.
  20. xwalker

22,446 Messages
    12,187 Likes Received
    Yes, Bernadeau was very good once he got completely healthy. He had multiple injuries all of 2012 and even had another minor injury in the 2013 training camp. I think the 2nd half of 2013 was the first time that he was ever completely healthy and it corresponded with his best performances.

The other thing that irritates me about Free is his passive demeanor. In the 2nd Redskins game, there was a scuffle that I think started with Murray and somebody on the Skins team. The entire starting OL got into it except Free who just walked away. Parnell came off the bench and jumped in the middle of it and was ready for a fight. There were multiple other times just in 2013 that Murray was getting into it with somebody and despite not being a starter, Parnell somehow showed up briefly on camera. I love seeing a big ugly dude with some of that Erik Williams/Marc Columbo/Randy White attitude.