1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

2014 QB Class is STACKED - Cowboys Options

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by IAmLegend, Aug 14, 2013.

1. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

3,006 Messages
    1,052 Likes Received
    Cowboys won't be picking a QB in the 1st or 2nd rounds in April. Romo's signed for awhile. They may the following year. Next year they'll focus on the DL and OL's. At least I hope.
  2. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

3,612 Messages
    1,062 Likes Received
    Cowboys will draft Aaron Murray in the 4th (he'll slip due to torn ACL) or Jimmy Garoppolo in the 5th-6th. That's what I'm thinking at this point.
  3. IlliniNation

IlliniNation Member

72 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I'm going to EIU playoff game tomorrow night. Get a first hand look at the guy.
  4. IAmLegend

3,612 Messages
    1,062 Likes Received
    Awesome, let us know how he looks. He only needs 5 TD passes to become the NCAA all-time career leader just fyi.
  5. IAmLegend

3,612 Messages
    1,062 Likes Received
  6. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,958 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    Jimmy g is probably going to be a 2 nd round pick,
  7. IlliniNation

IlliniNation Member

72 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Yea I saw that. I hope he does it!! Wind chill of 21 and snow at game time. I hope I make the whole game!!
  8. IAmLegend

3,612 Messages
    1,062 Likes Received
    Yea he's definitely gaining more notoriety as the season is coming to an end, but I still think with the depth at QB in this draft that some of then are going to slip a bit. All depends on what teams fall in love with what prospects. I still think Murray and Mettenberger slip the most due to their ACL tears and inability to participate in the combine. I could see the Cowboys taking either of them in the 4th-5th and trying to develop them.
  9. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,958 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    Agree on mett and Murray, their injuries could aid us, IF we look for a development guy
  10. IAmLegend

3,612 Messages
    1,062 Likes Received
    Updated QB rankings for the 2014 NFL Draft (undeclared QB's expected to declare):

1. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville (undeclared)
    2. Derek Carr, Fresno State
    3. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M (undeclared)
    4. Blake Bortles, UCF (undeclared)
    5. A.J. McCarron, Alabama
    6. Tajh Boyd, Clemson
    7. Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois
    8. Zach Mettenberger, LSU
    9. Aaron Murray, Georgia
    10. David Fales, San Jose State
    11. Stephen Morris, Miami
    12. Brett Smith, Wyoming
    13. Jeff Matthews, Cornell
    14. Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech
    15. Connor Shaw, South Carolina
  11. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,313 Messages
    4,847 Likes Received
    It would be a good way to avoid carrying 3 QBs on the active roster. Just put him on IR his rookie year and make him the #2 in year 2.
  12. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

7,062 Messages
    497 Likes Received
    It would be great if the Cowboys could draft Mariota next year. Let him sit behind Tony for a couple of years and then turn the team over to him.
  13. IAmLegend

3,612 Messages
    1,062 Likes Received
    My dream scenario. He's still only 20 (will be 21 when he comes out) so waiting and learning for a couple years would be perfect. He's really athletic so we wouldn't have to change the offense much, if at all, and could even throw some bootlegs in the playbook for him. He's got all the intangibles, plus the strong arm, and on top of all that he's a good kid that'll likely never have off-the-field issues. Would be a great situation. My hunch is that we draft someone in the mid-to-late rounds this year though unfortunately.
  14. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,396 Messages
    1,263 Likes Received
    [IMG]
    Jimmy Garoppolo | Quarterback
    Team: Eastern Illinois Panthers
    Ht / Wt: 6'2' / 222
    [IMG]
    LATEST NEWS
    RECENT NEWS

Eastern Illinois senior QB Jimmy Garoppolo will attend the East-West Shrine Game.
    It is another great get for the Shrine Game, but we wouldn't be surprised if Garoppolo ultimately ends up in the Senior Bowl if another quarterback drops out. Garoppolo has a legitimate shot at a top two round selection thanks to his quick decision making, mobility, and willingness to test every level of the defense. He is the best prospect at the all star event. Dec 24 - 12:11 PM
    Source: Shrine Game on Facebook
  15. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,396 Messages
    1,263 Likes Received
    Miami QB playing for draft status
    07:44 AM ET 12.25 | Stephen Morris came into the 2013 season with a heaping helping of hype. He is leaving it with more hope than hype. Morris has made his mark in the Hurricanes' history books, but he has not had the consistency many expected after stringing 139 consecutive passes (and 11 touchdowns) without an interception to finish the 2012 season. His bionic arm has often dazzled -- and just as often disappointed. Now, the senior quarterback for Miami (9-3) is feeling stronger after playing much of the season with a severe ankle bruise. He will enter the Russell Athletic Bowl against No. 18 Louisville (11-1) on Saturday with one last chance to fortify his NFL Draft worth in his final game as a Hurricane. Can one game make a difference? "Absolutely," said ESPN commentator Rod Gilmore.

Miami Herald

[IMG]
  16. IAmLegend

3,612 Messages
    1,062 Likes Received
    Mariota > JFF imo. And way less douchey.
  17. strasscat

strasscat Member

85 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Boyd and Bridgewater are the only one i really think will be starters in the NFL.
  18. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,396 Messages
    1,263 Likes Received
    QB Bortles receives 1st-round grade from NFL
    [IMG]
    UCF redshirt junior QB Blake Bortles received mostly first-round grades from the draft advisory board, reports CBS Sports' Jeremy Fowler.

After Wednesday's 52-42 upset win over Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl, NFL.com's Gil Brandt tweeted that Bortles was waiting on the advisory board's opinion before deciding whether or not he'd declare for the 2014 NFL Draft. Now that he's received the first-round answer most suspected, expect Bortles to make the leap; he has until Jan. 15 to officially do so. ESPN's Todd McShay has ranked the 6-foot-5, 230-pounder as the second-best quarterback prospect.
    Source: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter
    Jan 3 - 8:44 PM
  19. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,396 Messages
    1,263 Likes Received
  20. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,934 Messages
    512 Likes Received
    Brett Smith, Matthews and Murray are top of the list for me given I doubt the team will use a very high pick on a QB.