1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

#224 - 7th Round - Dallas, Jay Ratliff, DT AUBURN

Discussion in 'Draft Day Zone' started by Hostile, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,041 Messages
    870 Likes Received
    Cowboys select...Jay Ratliff
    DT | (6'3", 275, 4.81) | AUBURN
  2. Shotgun Dave

Shotgun Dave Active Member

1,399 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Russell, WR, Louisville

C'mon.
  3. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,270 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    man oh man, you must really know your stuff to be passionate about players this deep into the draft. :)
  4. StarHead69

StarHead69 Active Member

1,291 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Redskins got ANOTHER fullback...LMAO
  5. Tio

Tio Armchair QB

5,108 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    brandon browner!!! please...
  6. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

26,780 Messages
    348 Likes Received
    Last one. Jeremiah 'Jay' Ratliff, DE, Auburn.
  7. StarHead69

StarHead69 Active Member

1,291 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Jat Ratliff DE/DT

Another DL ?
  8. Shotgun Dave

1,399 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Dallas just took with it's last pick Jay Ratliff, DT, Auburn.

How in the world can this be? We have now taken, what, 6 defensive front 7 in one draft?

Honestly, I mean, I'm almost mad about this.

Here is our draft

Ware, DE/LB
    Spears, DT/DE
    Burnett, OLB
    Barber III, RB
    Canty, DE
    Beriault, S
    Pettiti, OT
    Ratliff, DT

So, out of 8 picks 6 are defense and 5 are defense front 7.

I have to say...with Ellis, Glover and Ferguson starting, I just do not see how we could draft all these defense players. Why not draft Brandon Browner for depth at CB or possibly to play at S? Why not take a flyer on Russell from Louisville to have a little depth at WR? I mean, I'm happy with our draft but I figured for SURE we would address other positions. Canty and Ratliff are almost certainly not going to start and will be rotation players.

Why not address CB, WR, ROG? Brandon Browner was thought by some to go in the FIRST ROUND and we pass on him in the 7th for yet another D-lineman?

I wish I understood the logic here.

I know, I know...we've had a great, great draft and who am I to second-guess Bill Parcells. I just don't understand.
  9. Tricky-22

Tricky-22 Git R Done

472 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Anyone know anything about him?
  10. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,134 Messages
    659 Likes Received
    a kicker would be quite nice.
  11. Tass

Tass Lucky Devil

1,821 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Said he was originally a TE...moved to D-line. A TE/DL tweener!
  12. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,218 Messages
    107 Likes Received
    Strengths: Has good height and the frame to add a lot of weight...Is a good athlete...Works hard and wants to improve...Impressed at the East-West Shrine game...Has some upside.
    Weaknesses: Undersized and more of a DE / DT 'tweener...Needs to hit the weight room and get stronger...Raw and needs a lot of work in terms of technique...Has some durability concerns.
    Notes: Played defensive end until his senior year...An interesting prospect who could find a home as a defensive end in a 3-4 scheme.
  13. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

26,780 Messages
    348 Likes Received
    Prospect Profiles

Jeremiah "Jay" Ratliff
    Position: Defensive End/Tackle
    College: Auburn
    Height: 6-3
    Weight: 293
    Hometown: Valdosta, Ga.

Analysis | Injury Report | Agility | High School | Personal

OVERVIEW
    Ratliff's versatility proved to be a valuable commodity for the Tigers' coaching staff since he arrived on campus as a freshman. The blue-collar work ethic he displayed was greatly appreciated by the team. Ratliff originally began his Auburn career as a tight end, moving to defensive end as a sophomore and then to defensive tackle in his final campaign.
    Ratliff played in a run-oriented offense at Lowndes County High School. As a tight end, he caught 46 passes for 701 yards and scored seven touchdowns as a senior, leading the team to the state championship, despite missing three games with a knee injury. He earned Class 4A all-state, All-USA Today honorable mention, Atlanta Journal-Constitution "Super Southern 100" and "Georgia 75" and Georgia High School Football "Magnificent Seven" honors. He was rated one of the top 25 players in the state of Georgia according to SuperPrep and received PrepStar All-America honors (that service rated him the No. 3 tight end in the Southeast). He also lettered in track and basketball, averaging 18 points and 18 rebounds as a junior.

Ratliff spent the 2000 season improving his academics at Hargrave Military Academy. He arrived on Auburn's campus in 2001, playing 12 games as a tight end, where he caught two passes for 20 yards. Ratliff shifted to defensive end in 2002. He started eight games, despite being bothered by a shoulder injury. Ratliff would finish his sophomore season with 37 tackles (16 solos), a sack, 10 stops for losses and two forced fumbles.

Ratliff played in nine games, earning one start at defensive end in 2003. He was bothered all season by a high ankle sprain that limited his playing time, as he finished with 7 tackles (4 solos) and a stop behind the line of scrimmage. He returned fully recovered in 2004, but shifted inside to defensive tackle, where the unit was depleted by graduation. He started every game, producing 37 tackles (17 solos) with a sack, four stops for losses, a fumble recovery and a forced fumble.

For his career, Ratliff started 22 of 34 games. He recorded 81 tackles (37 solos) with two sacks for minus-15 yards, 15 stops for losses of 46 yards and 12 quarterback pressures. He caused three fumbles, recovered another and also deflected a pass.

ANALYSIS
    Positives:Has a tall, rangy frame with long arms and legs, high hips, tapered calves and thighs and good upper body muscle development … Has the straight-line speed needed to chase down the quarterback when working in-line … Tough, aggressive athlete who might lack pass-rush ability, but has enough burst to collapse the pocket … When he gets low in his stance, he can stop the forward progress of the ball carrier when meeting head on … Uses his hands well to hold-on and drag down the opponent … When he stays at a good pad level, he can maintain balance when in pursuit and does a nice job of getting through the trash to spot the ball … Effective knifing into the backfield to flush out the quarterback … Has developed decent rip-and-swim moves to aid him in the bull rush.
    Negatives:Has major size limitations if he is to stay at tackle, but does not have the explosive burst to be effective moving outside to come off the edge … Lacks flexibility in his lower body, which prevents him from flattening and changing direction easily … He needs to do a better job of staying low in his pads, as he tends to get high in his stance, resulting in offensive linemen having success vs. him with reach blocks … When his base gets too narrow, he gets bounced around some, especially vs. double team coverage … Labors at times coming out of his stance and needs to develop a sudden initial burst in order to gain leverage due to his size limitations … Has good power, but not enough to compensate for a lack of bulk when working inside … Good effort type, but one look at his stats and you see marginal production … Adequate student, but plays with marginal instincts and awareness … Late to recognize and react, spending a lot of time getting behind the play … Runs well for his size, but shows limited change-of-direction agility and explosion … Soft at the point of attack, failing to use his hands

INJURY REPORT
    1999 -- Missed three games during his high school senior year with a knee sprain.
    2002 -- Sat out the Western Carolina game (Sept. 7) with a knee sprain … Left the Alabama contest (Nov. 23) in the first quarter due to left shoulder stingers.

2003 -- Suffered a left high ankle sprain vs. Georgia Tech (Sept. 6), missing the second half of that game and the entire Vanderbilt, Western Kentucky, Tennessee and Arkansas contests.

AGILITY
    Campus: 4.91 in the 40-yard dash … Bench pressed 225 pounds 24 times … 371-pound power clean … 4.52 20-yard shuttle … 7.19 three-cone drill … 33½-inch vertical jump … 9-foot-9 broad jump … 34-inch vertical jump … 9¾-inch hands … Right-handed.

HIGH SCHOOL
    Attended Lowndes County (Valdosta, Ga.) High School, playing football for coach Milt Miller … Played in a run-oriented offense … As a tight end, he caught 46 passes for 701 yards and scored seven touchdowns as a senior, leading the team to the state title despite missing three games with a knee injury … Earned Class 4A all-state, All-USA Today honorable mention, Atlanta Journal-Constitution "Super Southern 100" and "Georgia 75" and Georgia High School Football "Magnificent Seven" honors … Rated one of the top 25 players in the state of Georgia according to SuperPrep and received PrepStar All-America honors (that service rated him the No. 3 tight end in the Southeast) … Also lettered in track and basketball, averaging 18 points and 18 rebounds as a junior.

PERSONAL
    Public Administration major … Son of Ottie and Diane Ratliff … Born Jeremiah J. Ratliff on Aug. 29, 1981 … Resides in Valdosta, Ga.
    Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, Powered by The Sports Xchange
  14. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,270 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Strengths: Has excellent quickness and speed as an interior player. Thrived in his move from DE to DT. Has good anticipation skills and gets off the ball quickly. Gets consistent penetration and shows the burst to get through the LOS and disrupt. He has good COD skills and agility at the DT position. Flashes closing burst as a pass rusher and in pursuit. Is an experienced, tough and competitive player. A "team" guy and very "coachable"

Weaknesses: Will never be more than a situational pass-rushing DT in the NFL. He lacks ideal athleticism and speed to make an impact at DE. He also lacks the bulk and base to play a consistent role at DT. He gets pushed around too much when reached. Needs to play with more consistent leverage. Needs to be on the move to be effective. Cannot hold his ground when teams run at him. Needs to improve his array of pass rush moves. Also has had some durability issues.

Overall: Ratliff attended Hargrave Military Academy in 2000. He started his career at Auburn as a TE in 2001. Moved to DE in 2002 and started eight of the 12 games he played in. Played nine games at DE in 2003 but missed time that season because of shoulder, ankle and knee injuries. He moved to DT as a senior in 2004 and finished with 37 total tackles, four TFL and one sack. Ratliff is a 'tweener DE/DT prospect that moved from DE to DT late in his career and enjoyed great success as an interior one-gap penetrating lineman as a senior. Ratliff does not have the speed or athleticism to make an impact on the perimeter in the NFL. He also lacks the size and strength to play a consistent role at DT in the NFL. However, Ratliff has enough quickness, speed, instincts and motor to compete for playing time as a situational interior pass rusher at the next level. If Ratliff isn't taken in the final couple of rounds of the 2005 draft he should become a priority undrafted free agent signing.

* Player biographies are provided by Scouts Inc.
  15. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,270 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Uhm....I guess Parcells was serious about improving the defense. :)
  16. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

5,725 Messages
    346 Likes Received

yeah well..HE PROVED IT....was there a bet here or something we missed. Did someone question he may not do it or something?
  17. Compacity

Compacity Benched

656 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    War Room analysis
    Experience against big-time competition and impressive work at East-West Shrine Game draws scouts' attention. Hard worker who wants to improve. Athletic, but must get stronger. Must improve technique. Is versatile; played end until his senior season. Has good height and frame. A 'tweener who could be a find as an end in a 3-4 scheme.

Dan Pompei analysis
    Would fit best as a 3-4 end, but also could be a 3-technique tackle. Is a competitive hustler who understands the game. Reacts well to blocking schemes, but isn't a natural pass rusher.

[IMG]

JAY RATLIFF MEASURABLES Height: 6-3 [IMG] Weight: 293 40-yard dash: 4.68<as seen in the combine

NFL comparison:

Gary Walker, Texans
  18. jobberone

jobberone Orangutan for hire; blues and southern rock Staff Member

33,386 Messages
    1,782 Likes Received
    That guy has very impressive speed and could be a scary FB if he can develop some better movement in space. Either will be a surprise or just a fast big straight line guy who can't do anything else. Not a scary pick but a good pick here IMO. Now their entire draft looks funky to me overall but we'll see. It would be a mistake to overlook Joe Gibbs as far as I'm concerned.
  19. jobberone

jobberone Orangutan for hire; blues and southern rock Staff Member

33,386 Messages
    1,782 Likes Received
    Sounds like a typical project. Decent pick here. Parcells is going to improve the DL somehow. I love his options theory. He must be somewhat satisfied at CB not to take one in the lower rounds. Or just nobody there thrilled him. There will be some targeted UDFAs that should be interesting.
  20. Shotgun Dave

1,399 Messages
    6 Likes Received

Russell just went to Baltimore LATE in the 7th.

I would love to have brought him in. Several other guys went late in the 7th I would like to have brought in.

Brandon Browner, seen in many mocks going in the FIRST round, was not drafted. He'd be one of my very first UDFA calls.