1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

25 Years Ago Today

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by IAmLegend, Apr 20, 2014.

1. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

24,692 Messages
    1,843 Likes Received

7-5 and a Pro Bowl would get him booed out of the building today. It's not even comical that you'd try and make it seem any other way. It's been proven many times over here in the last 4-5 years. Thank God NFL owners and coaches pay no attention to fans who think they know everything on message boards.

It only 'doesn't fly' because everyone here has the benefit of seeing the entire picture. If you only saw the picture of his first 3 years then tons of fans today would roast him and have him run out of here in lightening fast speed.
  2. Venger

Venger Well-Known Member

2,508 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    Because Cowboy fans were so tolerant of losing back then? My God we gave Quincy Friggin' Carter three seasons, pretty sure they weren't gonna run Aikman out on a rail after one, these days or those days. And it didn't sound like a game of Duck Hunt every time Aikman threw...
    Dodger12 likes this.
  3. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,333 Messages
    888 Likes Received
    Please...that's just silly and not anywhere near the truth. Everyone saw what he meant to the team when Babe came in and blew a chance at the playoffs a year earlier. What's comical is people trying to compare wasted draft picks with what we saw in the 90's with players like Aikman which is absurd. By year 3, the guy was the franchise.

Just say you want to give player "X" another year but don't compare him to players whose circumstances were totally different on a team that was contending for the playoffs. And it's even more absurd that people have to dig back almost 25 years ago and point to something that happened back then as proof to what can happen today. The NFL today is watered down and geared towards draft picks (especially high picks) making an immediate impact. You don't pick a player #6 overall after a trade to move up and hope he gives you something 3 years later.
  4. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,633 Messages
    783 Likes Received
    But he had a coach who had steadily better records every year until we won it all. We now have an annual 8-8 coach who can't manage a game / clock.
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  5. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

24,692 Messages
    1,843 Likes Received

We will agree to disagree. I've seen it year after year with Romo during this era. He does all he can to win, he's had this team with winning records and records similiar to what we're talking about right now, and people hate him and piss all over him and he's NEVER thrown more INT's than TDs. Ever.

So, yeah, I do believe Aikman would be booed right out of the building.

Hell the fans turned on him and booed him out of the building AFTER he was the QB that led his team to 3 Superbowl titles and 4 NFC Championships.
  6. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    He had a better coach i agree with that but I don't think theres a coach coaching that doesn't make decisions that look bad in games that are lost and sometimes won but it get's forgotten when you get to the playoffs. Same rule applies to players. Maybe the team has been suckin so long fans have become used to watching to the things that prove the Cowboys suck.
  7. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

22,726 Messages
    2,047 Likes Received
    All our troubles seemed so far away.
    IAmLegend and dallasdave like this.
  8. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

22,726 Messages
    2,047 Likes Received
    I remember watching that game too knowing that he would be a Cowboy. Although, I was worried prior to that game and the preceding weeks because the Cowboys needed the Packers to beat the Arizona/Phoenix Cardinals to secure the top spot in the draft. And the Packers - who were equally awful did.

My, how NFL history could have been rewritten if the Packers had the top pick. They would have picked Aikman and we likely would have picked Tony Mandarich, who Jimmy Johnson loved.

Would we go on to win three Super Bowls or what that have been the Packers?

Does Brett Favre remain in Atlanta, wasting his talent?

I wish I had a crystal ball that peered into alternate realities to see what would have happened. Fortunately for us, it worked out fine.
    dallasdave likes this.
  9. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

4,013 Messages
    1,056 Likes Received
    All our troubles seemed so far away, yesterday !
  10. dallasdave

4,013 Messages
    1,056 Likes Received
    Yesterday, we had Jimmy Johnson rebuilding the worst team in the league, and hope was on the horizon.
  11. dallasdave

4,013 Messages
    1,056 Likes Received
    Good post !
  12. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

4,781 Messages
    1,695 Likes Received
    Now it looks as though they're here to stay :(
    tyke1doe likes this.
  13. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

7,405 Messages
    2,462 Likes Received
    You guys owe Lennon/McCartney $5.50 for using their song in your post.

Oh wait Michael Jackson purchased that catalog.

Oh wait sadly he's gone.

Oh just pay Katherine Jackson & get it over with.
  14. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,986 Messages
    2,613 Likes Received
    Thank goodness the Cowboys ended up with the #1 pick in the draft after the Packers went out and won a meaningless game against the Cardinals in the last game of the 1988 season -- the Cowboys then moving up to the #1 spot.

Had it gone the other way, the Cowboys would have ended up with Mandarich:

[IMG]

[IMG]