1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

3-4 NT's stacking up

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Nors, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Here's how its stacking up so far:

Watson showed up in tremendous shape and is settling in at top of NT Class.

nfldraftcountdown yesterday on Watson "Did someone say defensive linemen? Gabe Watson of Michigan was very impressive, showing great quickness off the ball and tremendous power on the bull rush."

1) Watson 6-3 341 Rising
    2) Ngata 6-5 340 Falling
    3) Wright 6-5 320 - Texas DT's underrated of late
    4) Fafita 6-0 330 Strongest NT in draft - Rising
    5) Oshinowo - 6-1 302 Light in loafers - Falling
  2. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

38,695 Messages
    1,570 Likes Received
    I hope Ngata falls to the second round.. I like Fifta alot, where do you think he goes? I hope he's there in the 3rd.
  3. Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw Benched

5,451 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Watson looks really good but I heard he takes plays off. Naturally, he's giving his all at the Senior Bowl but will he keep that effort going once in the league?
  4. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Thats for coaches/scouts to get to. He will only be asked to be a Rotation guy upfront with Fergi and co. I think him showing up in great shape speaks volumes.

Also, dude was All Big 10 and was getting doubled all season. He still is dominant and disruptive. Ideal 3-4 NT

Fifita - may go 3rd to 4th
  5. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,236 Messages
    1,173 Likes Received
    Rodrigue Wright is a bit underrated right now. I think this is mostly because he was overrated for so long. The expectations placed on him were unrealistic. I know several people said he had a bad game because he didn't dominate USC. I don't know why he was expected to dominate. He actually played a decent game. I saw him cause Leinart to move around in the pocket several times. All that being said, I would not take him in the 1st and nor would I put him at NT. Although big, I don't see him as a 3-4 type nose tackle. He would actually be more suited for end in the 3-4 or a tackle in the 4-3.
  6. Portland Fanatic

Portland Fanatic Active Member

4,459 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I watched Fifta in person this year...big strong kid, but not overly impressed with him. I'd be ALL OVER Watson though...he could become a premier NT....
  7. Portland Fanatic

Portland Fanatic Active Member

4,459 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree 100%...the top two true NT are Ngata and Watson....Watson may prove to be the better NT when all is said and done.
  8. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,501 Messages
    117 Likes Received

No doubt Watson has serious talent. He amazed me his Jr year but I can't remember seeing him make any plays his Sr year. Same for Wright.
    So I'm a little concerned about that. I'd be surprised though if we used a high pick on a DT because of Fergi and I think Pepper J can step in and play well.
    Ngata has some knee issues, which is NOT good for a guy of his weight. Already has one major knee injury and surgery. Had a minor knee injury in the bowl game. Imagine teams cut blocking him in the NFL....trouble.
  9. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received

The few times I watched Watson he played very good. Always taking on double teams and often very disruptive.

3-4 NT's don't get 10 sacks, they are Big guys anchoring the center of Dline and engaging 2 and 3 guys often. Not a glorious job but a major must.

There is a valid reason we were all over Watson today after practice.....
  10. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Just as we will be 125 other prospects before this procedure is all over and were on the clock. Don't read into anything this early.
  11. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Not so fast - we were all over Spears and Ware last year. Watson fills a MAJOR void - Massive 3-4 NT rotation guy with Fergi. That is a critical gap in our D. He's on the board at #18 he damn well may be a Cowboy.

JJ year before that. Note who else we are watching VERY closely.

One Deangelo Williams -
  12. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Yeah so what about the other 100 guys we were all over? Odd's are they are going to pick one of them.;)
  13. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You started with 125 and now its 100. Please post the 100 others we are all over? Maybe a top 20 would be sweet.

Thanks!
  14. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Oh, I'm sorry, I thought your sources had that info.

So your telling me you believe the Cowboys only talked to 2 players last year. Spears and Ware?

Give me a break Nors. The Cowboys scouts will poke and examine dozen upon dozens of players before the draft. Odd's are one of those players will be picked by Dallas.

You can report everything you hear on NFLdraftcountdown which is where you got the info and the next year you can try and look like a genious again and say well Dallas talked to so and so last year and they picked him.

I can put 3 cats in a bag and odd's are if I pull one out it's gonna have whiskers. Go figure.
  15. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I've been bringing all Senior Bowl print I can, same with GBN and Scout. Its all factually based.

You bring nothing to the table candidly.
  16. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,289 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    Your newfound NT fascination is curious. All last offseason, you took time to attempt to ridicule me for questioning the NT depth. Now its a hot button topic for you. What changed?
  17. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,900 Messages
    397 Likes Received
    No way Watson passes up Ngata based on two practices. He's moving his stock up, but Ngata has more natural talent than Watson and doesn't take plays off.
  18. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Rome was not build in one draft.

We had more pressing needs. Canty, Spears, Ware, Tackle, LB, FS

We had Fergi and Glover - that was fine transitionally. We are a year into 3-4 and its time to get a Stud NT. I think its Watson. Ngata? Well maybe I caught him on bad days but I didn't see him do much on the field. Over rated maybe? He's still in the mix forus at NT too.
  19. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,289 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    I thought the same of Ngata, but I only caught his bowl game. Most reports are glowing.
  20. Hiero

Hiero New Member

3,075 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    no way watson passes ngata just based on practice. maybe with a good combine, but there still plenty of work to do.