1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

3 Runs and a FG from 50

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by rcaldw, Jan 12, 2013.

1. DallasJ7

DallasJ7 Active Member

497 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    Justin Tucker was 30/33 this year, including a 56-yarder. Harbaugh was completely reasonable in playing for the 45-50 yard FG. It was like if we had Nick Folk circa 2007; you just trust that he's gonna make it.

Now John Fox having Peyton kneel with 31 seconds and 2 TOs, in your own freakin' stadium where you can easily kick a 65-70 yarder - that was madness!
  2. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

6,321 Messages
    718 Likes Received
    Agenda.... one of the most overused and misused words on this forum. I have no agenda, I simply found it funny. I'm smiling, can't you? :)
  3. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

6,321 Messages
    718 Likes Received
    I don't criticize Harbaugh... it was tongue in cheek. And I don't blame Garrett for trusting Bailey either. And you know, and so do I, that we would have a whole host of posters in here saying, "BUT WHY MAKE IT SO HARD?" Stupid Garrett!!!!! :bang2:
  4. DallasJ7

DallasJ7 Active Member

497 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    With Bailey, I'd never blame Garrett for wanting to run 3 times inside the 30.

But tonight's game was a different situation, no? Baltimore wasn't up against the clock in tonight's game, while in our situation you had that cluster**** end-of-game clock mismanagement on 1st down.
  5. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    That was because they passed it prior, setting up a 3rd and 6 where Murray had an exceptional run to bail the team out.

This was after they passed the ball, twice I believe.
  6. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

6,321 Messages
    718 Likes Received
    Honestly I don't remember. But to criticize any strategy after it wins I find silly. I think an element of our fan base has just gotten into the habit of criticizing whatever Garrett does. Win or lose... he did it wrong :)
  7. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,963 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    Bailey's kick at the end of the Bengals game was only 40 yards. It also came on second down. The Ravens ran on second down and on third down to get closer, then kicked it on fourth down.
  8. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,939 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    I don't think there is anything wrong with thinking that a coach should try to get his kicker as close as he possibly can, .. when it is within his power to do so.

It only seems logical to improve your odds when possible.
  9. anava

anava Well-Known Member

1,542 Messages
    86 Likes Received
    I love how people find questionable decisions from numerous college and the NFL teams and compare it to the questionable decisions we make on a weekly basis.
  10. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    I don't find it silly.

People criticized the hell out of Parcells for not taking advantage of a depleted Seattle secondary.

Are we really going to say that the appropriateness of criticism hinges on whether or not Romo bobbles that ball? Albeit there was a little time left so you never know what happens after that.

Point is, if you're looking solely at outcomes without understanding how those outcomes came about, you're missing the vast majority of the story.
  11. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,147 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    It was actually 47 yards for Tucker. And if the Cowboys had run another play or two to try to get it under 50, Bailey probably would have made it considering he did not miss from 49 and under all season.
  12. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

6,321 Messages
    718 Likes Received
    :), So... if Garrett makes the exact same decision Harbaugh makes, in this exact same situation... EXACT... he gets no criticism on this forum... right? I just want this on record :)
  13. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,783 Messages
    5,195 Likes Received
  14. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

9,270 Messages
    1,161 Likes Received
    How many didn't know the rule that the end of the first overtime is basically like the expiration of a quarter? The announcers on the radio station I was listening to sure didn't. They were letting Harbaugh have it for a good minute until someone explained the rules to them.
  15. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

9,270 Messages
    1,161 Likes Received
    Personally, Harbaugh could have been a little more imaginative there. I wonder if he didn't realize he could go into the second overtime and keep the ball until someone explained it to him?