1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: 32: I Hate: The Kyle Orton Saga

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CCBoy, Jul 19, 2014.

1. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,479 Messages
    594 Likes Received
    Thats fine, than just throw a kid back there. I mean i dont get the hate on Orton when Dallas walked into the land mine. If they werent going to take it serious, just pick up an undrafted and let him sit back there.
  2. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,875 Messages
    1,895 Likes Received
    True, I loved Demarcus Ware but I could care less about him at this point. Is that what you meant?
    WPBCowboysFan likes this.
  3. RonSpringsdaman20

RonSpringsdaman20 alpha seeing omega Zone Supporter

3,685 Messages
    1,467 Likes Received
    I forgot all about him until I opened this thread:D
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  4. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,926 Messages
    766 Likes Received
    The Orton hate is in small part due to him being a poor substitute for Romo and in large part due to the stunt he pulled in the offseason to avoid paying back a portion of his salary. Having said that, I'm glad they released him...kinda wish they had after the first week of OTA's he missed. Also, just as an aside, the Cowboys did pick up an undrafted free agent named Dustin Vaughan from West Texas A&M; he probably is nothing more than a camp body, but given the fact that Weeden and Hanie are the two guy's in front of him, I'm sure he'll get a shot to earn a roster spot.
    ShiningStar likes this.
  5. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

1,097 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    I don't like the Ratliff/Orton trend of defrauding the team for money. Now other players will figure out how to do it, and it will create more dead weight for the cap. I'll be you anything this will spread to other teams as well. The NFL needs to get its best lawyers in gear and put a stop to this BS. It didn't help when they simply allowed Ratliff to sign with the Bears when they should have kicked him out of the NFL.

The NFL should show how simple it is. 1. You sign a contract. 2. You live up to the terms of the contract.

You don't get to retire and collect some bonus that was contingent on you actually playing. If it says the money was for playing, then the money is for playing. I'm just waiting for Orton to run with his money straight to some other team that's offering him some more.
  6. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,479 Messages
    594 Likes Received
    Id would rather go that option than a Weedon or an Orton and i liked Orton. Dallas just has to put more stock into the bck up Qb.
  7. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,926 Messages
    766 Likes Received
    I get what your saying. I would feel alot better about this next season knowing we had a better insurance policy behind him. On the other hand, the trade off would likely be no Zach Martin or Demarcus Lawrence (not saying I'm sold on the guy being worth a 2nd & 3rd pick, but the Cowboys really did need a new pass rusher with the loss of Ware)...and the further you get away from the first 3 rounds with a rookie QB, the more growing pains he is likely to experience. Given the defense, this may have been the perfect year for them to try and develop somone, but therein is one of the hangups with Jerry - there is no such thing as a rebuild.
  8. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,911 Messages
    653 Likes Received
    Certain players I'll still root for and follow. Emmitt when he went to Arizona, Larry Allen when he went to the 49ers. Ware also falls in this category for me. None of which should have ever been ex-Cowboys.
    5Stars likes this.
  9. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,732 Messages
    1,117 Likes Received
    If Orton wanted to play, he'd be one of the best backups in the league. He's better than many starters too. I do think it raised a few red flags that he wanted to come here as a backup rather than compete for a starting job somewhere
  10. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,732 Messages
    1,117 Likes Received
    Wow. Close to 10 years ago. Super relevant
  11. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

22,368 Messages
    1,691 Likes Received
    What saga? Dallas cut him. He is gone. I don't see a saga.
  12. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,540 Messages
    694 Likes Received
    As soon as a player starts thinking about retirement, for intents and purposes, he's already retired. Aside from that, Orton doesn't have the desire to play any more by his own admission. Even if he lied about that and doesn't want to play for Dallas, we wouldn't get the best from him anyhow. Only a scumbag would screw his team both financially and ethically the way he did. As it turns out, those red flags you referred to were totally justified. If he wanted to be a starter, he should never have come to Dallas. As far as I'm concerned, he can get boozed up somewhere else or stay at home and continue being the bum he is. He's just out for himself.
  13. RonSpringsdaman20

RonSpringsdaman20 alpha seeing omega Zone Supporter

3,685 Messages
    1,467 Likes Received
    pretty much.
  14. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

14,780 Messages
    6,562 Likes Received
    That's what fan's of teams should do, IMO.

Many modern fans are the opposite and are fans of front runners. Many Miami Heat fans will now become Cleveland fans because they just follow LeBron around because he's the best player at this point in time. As soon as he gets older and somebody replaces him as the best, those fans will just become fans of that player's team.

Personally, I wish Ware the best in Denver. If they were in the NFC east, it would be different.

The biggest pain will be if Ware is really good for a few games that many around here will come out proclaiming how the Cowboys screwed up by cutting him. In reality, it was the right move to cut him regardless of how well he plays for Denver. The Cowboys were a low probability of being contenders this season and didn't need an older 12M per year DE with significant injury history, but that won't stop some people from proclaiming failure for the Cowboys is he does some success in Denver.

What I find much more irritating in terms of fan behavior, is the hate for a player currently on the team that has done nothing to deserve it.

When a guy like Jeff Heath fails, the blame should go the team, not the player. He should not have been in the position to be forced into action. He gave it his best shot but just didn't have the skill to get it done, especially when the rest of the defense was not doing their jobs either. Now people hate Heath, but are exited about Hamilton because he got a little praise from Broaddus in OTAs. In reality, if Hamilton had been put in Heath's position last season, he would likely get hated now and people would be excited about Heath.

I can understand a guy like Bruce Carter getting some fan hate because he didn't play up to his physical ability; however, hating some poor UDFA rookie Safety for not being able to cover Calvin Johnson is just silly.