1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

34 Years Ago Today

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Hostile, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,114 Messages
    3,138 Likes Received
    Dallas won Super Bowl XII vs. the Denver Broncos, 27-10. They completely dismantled our former starting QB, Craig Morton. Harvey martin and Randy White were named co-MVPs. The only time there have ever been 2. Ed "Too Tall" Jones easily could have made it a trio of honorees.

It was the first ever indoor Super Bowl, played in the Super Dome in New Orleans. For many years it was the most watched television event in History.
  2. Hostile

119,114 Messages
    3,138 Likes Received
    Oh yeah, little known fact. It was also The Manster's birthday.

Today, he is 59 and could still whip any of our butts in a fight.
  3. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,124 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    I wish I would have had the privilege to watch Too Tall Jones and Randy White play. You can only get so much from stories and YouTube videos.
  4. Cowboyz88

Cowboyz88 Well-Known Member

4,138 Messages
    743 Likes Received
    I remember it well!

Doomsday made me so proud that day.

A few weeks later I had a lay-over in Denver, and me at the great age of 10 proudly wore my Cowboys jersey all through the airport.

A great time.

And, he might be the best D-linemen on the current team.

I kid...I think.
  5. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,017 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I was 15 years old and a Junior in High School. That was the first SB played with a late starting time of 5:30 PM CST. (I loved it when the SB used to come on like a regular season game at noon CST. Life was simple in those days.)

I will never forget, after we won my Mom (rest her soul) brought out a victory cake with blue and white icing and the words, Dallas Cowboys World Champions on it. I was shocked! I asked her what she would have done if we lost. She said that never entered her mind because she knew the Cowboys would win!

Great memories. Thanks for reminding me Hos.
  6. Hostile

119,114 Messages
    3,138 Likes Received
    I love it.
  7. Hostile

119,114 Messages
    3,138 Likes Received
    You share the best stories. This was great.
  8. Hostile

119,114 Messages
    3,138 Likes Received
    There is no record for it that I know of, but Too Tall had to have deflected more passes than any D-Lineman in History. If he raised his arms the QB either had to split the uprights or rainbow the pass. Had he not tried boxing I think he would have been a sure fire HOFer. But the questions of his commitment to the game made him less respected than he otherwise would have been.

Let me put it to you this way, I think if he was playing right now, he'd be one of the top 3 or 4 DEs in the NFL. Amazingly, he was the 2nd best DE on the Cowboys behind the Beautiful Harvey Martin.
  9. Jammer

Jammer Retired Air Force Guy Zone Supporter

3,117 Messages
    165 Likes Received
    34 Years ago. Really, already? That was the first SB I really enjoyed. I had seen the other SBs, including the SB win over Miami, but this one was the one I really enjoyed watching because there was no doubt in my mind the Cowboys were going to kick butt because that team just oozed greatness. I was actually surprised the score wasn't more one-sided than it was because the Cowboys just destroyed the Broncos.

Mid-January and the SB was played already back then. Now it's in Feb. It just doesn't seem the same.
  10. CaptainAmerica

5,017 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Thanks, but you have that honor. You inspire me.

I've been thinking since you are such a huge John Wayne fan that I really need to tell you the best John Wayne story I have ever heard.

My friend Theo is a realtor in Pensacola, FL (where I live). His mom's family was the Firestone family (as in Firestone tires) so when he came out of college at Alabama in the early 70's he had connections that took him out to California to work in real estate. His roomate was Cecil B. DeMille's grandchild.

Well he was home one night and his roomate asked if he wanted to go watch a movie at "the Wayne's house". He said "the Wayne's house?" Sure enough he ended up at John Wayne's house and Mr. Wayne told them they would be watching a new movie that "Bob" was starring in. "Bob" was Robert Redford and the movie was Jeremiah Johnson.

Theo said they were getting ready to watch the movie when the Wayne's butler came over to Mr. Wayne and told him there was a phone call. At that point Mr. Wayne spoke up and asked if there was someone there named Theo. My friend was shocked!! How could anyone know he was at John Wayne's house and why in the world would anyone be calling him at John Wayne's house?!

He stepped out to the kitchen and answered the phone and it was another friend who asked where he was. Theo said "I'm at the Waynes". "The Wayne's?" "Yes! The Wayne's! You know...John Wayne!" He said there was dead silence on the other end. Apparently the friend called for him at his house and someone there said he was over at the Wayne's and gave him the phone number.

To this day he loves to tell that story and we quiz him about all the details. He said John Wayne was the most gracious host imaginable and his only regret is that he doesn't have any pictures to remember the night.

I think that is the greatest celebrity meeting story I've ever heard.
  11. Hostile

119,114 Messages
    3,138 Likes Received
    That is a great story. Thank you for sharing it.

A little known fact, John Wayne's son, Patrick, is a Cowboys fan and has been invited to join this site. I do not know if he did though.

I love stories. I always have. The old cowboys where I grew up were the absolute best story tellers. Anything I learned about telling them I probably learned from them.

So I have a John Wayne story for you. My father-in-law's first name is Wayne and he was a photographer for Arizona Highways magazine for 40 years. John Wayne used to have a ranch here in the White Mountains of Arizona.

In the town where his ranch was there is a restaurant called Katy's Country Kitchen. One day my in-laws were heading in, and John Wayne was coming out. He held the door for them and my father-in-law said, "thank you John." He replied "you're welcome Wayne." There in the brief exchange is the man's name. John Wayne.

So they went inside and my mother-in-law, who normally knows everyone, said, "Wayne, who was that man?" He told her it was John Wayne and she hit him with her purse for not introducing her.

Every time my father-in-law tells that story he has tears in his eyes. You'd honestly have to meet my mother-in-law to know how funny it is. If you did meet her in 5 minutes she would feel like your best friend in the world. She is just that social, and my father-in-law is really quiet most of the time. Very dry sense of humor.

The idea that he knew John Wayne and John knew him by name and my mother-in-law didn't even recognize him just kills him.

Sadly, I never met John Wayne. I really wish I had. I very much admire the man.
  12. CaptainAmerica

5,017 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Great story. I love personal stories like those about John Wayne because they make you realize he was a genuine American. I always loved your sig pic with Rooster Cogburn in it. That's America.
  13. Bulldog

Bulldog Member

159 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I remember the Cowboys players crushing those "Orange Crush" cans. That was a great game to watch. The Boys were just dominate.
  14. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

433 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    I was born right after that, always thought it was cool to be born the year they won a SB.
  15. Hostile

119,114 Messages
    3,138 Likes Received
    I am going to put that sig pic back. I stored it somewhere and I didn't find it today, so I used this one. I like it, but the other one is more me.
  16. Hostile

119,114 Messages
    3,138 Likes Received
    I have this Super Bowl on a DVD. I wish I knew how to load it into this thread. I'd post it so people could see how dominant that DL was. It is the entire game too. Pregame, post game, everything.
  17. windward

windward NFL Historian

15,201 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    When I started watching the Cowboys, Steve Pelluer was our QB, Michael Irvin was just a rookie and Emmitt and Troy were in college. The Cowboys as we all know were an awful team. I was 5 years old

One day I went to a flea market with my mom and somebody was selling a book that covered the first 12 Super Bowls. This game was on the cover. My mom bought it for me and on the ride home, I started to pore over the book ( looking mostly at the pictures. I was a pretty good reader for my age, but the book was for an older audience). This was my first inkling of the history behind this team. For some reason it really pleased me to no end that the book ended with our beatdown of the Broncos. It just seemed appropriate to my 5 year old mind. Over the next few years my mom scoured used book stores that had books that chronicled the Cowboys past even more in depth

Guys like Roger Staubach and Bob Lilly ended up being my favorite Cowboy players even though I had never seen them play live on tv and actually retired before I was born. I believe that book helped sustain my interest in the Cowboys and cemented me as a lifelong fan

I have since watched the game broadcast. It holds a special place in my heart.
  18. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Being a young fan sucks. I really wish I had been born 30 years earlier. Yeah I'd be old right now, but at least I would've witnessed the 5 Super Bowls.
  19. CaptainAmerica

5,017 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    We should have won that game 42-0. We made almost as many mistakes on offense as Denver. I think we were tight and wanted it very bad.
  20. windward

windward NFL Historian

15,201 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    I suffered through a couple bad seasons and then won Super Bowls when I was 9, 10 and 12 years old. I honestly did not appreciate them as much as I should have, although I do remember appreciating the SB XXX title more than the previous two.

When we win again, it will be so sweet after all the heartbreak since 1996. At least you know you will be at the age where you can cherish your first one.