1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

4-3 Carter OLB?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by DominantD, Jan 9, 2013.

1. DominantD

DominantD Member

50 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Can Carter play outside in a 4-3 defense? That could allow Ware-Lee-Carter at linebacker. But if you sign Spencer after a very impressive season, you have an excess LB who really needs to be on the field.

Assuming we would stay in a 3-4 alignment, I've been telling my family that the Cowboys linebackers in 2013 might prove to be the best in the history of the Dallas Cowboys using the assumption that Spencer is re-signed or franchised with Lee and Carter on the inside.
  2. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,842 Messages
    1,646 Likes Received
    Ware would most likely play defensive end in a 4-3, not linebacker.

/reality
  3. JerryJonesMustGo

JerryJonesMustGo Active Member

303 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    I'd love to see what he can do as an edge rusher on passing downs.
  4. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,355 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    the question w carter was could he play inside in a 3-4

hes proven he can play outside in a 4-3...at least in college

he will be fine
  5. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,921 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    Spencer and ware would play d end in a 43.
  6. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,793 Messages
    1,879 Likes Received
    Carter and Lee IMo can play any 3 of the Lber posistions in the 4-3. Ware is a DE plain and simple. Dallas goes to a 4-3 i think ull see Dallas resign Sims

OLB Carter
    ILB Lee
    OLB Sims
  7. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,004 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    Dominant, I take it you don't watch much college football (which is not a knock or dig at you). Bruce Carter played OLB in 4-3 while at UNC. He played both WLB & SLB. He and Lee both played in the 4-3 in college. Ware would NOT be a LB in the 4-3 - he would be the Rush End (normally, the Right End).
  8. ABQcowboyJR

2,921 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    This is my feeling. This was my biggest reasoning for wanting to resign sims.
  9. ykc

ykc Active Member

600 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    Spencer is very strong against the run, so shouldn't he be strong side LB?
    Carter is very fast and athletic, so he should be weak side LB right?
  10. NextGenBoys

NextGenBoys Well-Known Member

7,620 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    Your premise of Carter being an OLB in a 4-3 is nice. But then you imply Ware and Spencer would be LB's in a 4-3 which brings to question do you understand the difference between the two formations, and the players that it requires?
  11. DominantD

DominantD Member

50 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jeff: No, I didn't watch Carter at UNC. I do now remember the discussion about moving him inside after playing outside previously.

With both Spencer and Ware at DE, would be a little small at that position? I know guys like Charles Haley played smaller but 2 DEs at 250 & 255 lbs feels a little small. Ware would be fine. Spencer is strong against the run so maybe it would work fine for him too.
  12. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,033 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    This is what I am hoping for. It also can allow for Spencer to leave and also eliminates a need for a huge NT if Ratliff is retained and moves to DT in the 4-3.
  13. DominantD

DominantD Member

50 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I do. But I was pondering keeping Ware at LB in a 4-3 anyway. Then, on passing downs, we put Ware on the line and perhaps even one more of our other LBs.
  14. Real1st

Real1st Nikola Tesla

4,835 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If we go to the 4-3 the Lee/Carter/Sims combo will be speedy and exciting. No more getting gashed beacause of the damn flats.
  15. DominantD

DominantD Member

50 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wondered how Ratliff might do shifting to the DT position similar to how Glover played a decade or so ago, then bringing in a huge NT.
  16. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,043 Messages
    1,919 Likes Received
    No, in a 43, your DEs are typically smaller then you see in a 34. 260 -270 for a rush end and 270-280 for a strong side end is not uncommon.
  17. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,043 Messages
    1,919 Likes Received
    I doubt it. Had he not acted the way he did with Jerry, then I think he would probably be a perfect 3 Technique DT but now, I think he's gone. I would imagine that Lissemore and Hatcher will probably be the DTs in a 43. Spears is probably gone and Galloway might see a lot more playing time as your 1Tech. I'd go as far as to say that Spencer will probably not be here either and the Strong End will be Crawford with Ware at the Rush End.
  18. DominantD

DominantD Member

50 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree that 4-3 DEs are smaller... I haven't looked around the league at 4-3 DEs lately but what are the size of some of the smaller DEs? I can easily see one DE at 250-255 (Ware or Spencer), but I wasn't sure if it was common for both DEs to be that light. Would we hold up well enough against the run?
  19. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,270 Messages
    268 Likes Received
    The linebackers would be the least of our worries in a switch to a 4-3. Carter and Lee arguably fit a 4-3 scheme even better.
  20. ABQcowboyJR

2,921 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    Indy did it for a long time.