1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

4-3 will be disaster if Lee and Carter don't do well

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by JoeyBoy718, Jan 11, 2013.

1. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

3,844 Messages
    1,446 Likes Received
    The strength of our defense is our 2 linebackers (Lee and Carter) who are young and gifted and have the potential to be the best linebacker duo in the NFL. The secondary will be the secondary regardless of 3-4 or 4-3. And as good as guys like Ware, Spencer and Ratliff are/were, you don't build around guys of their age. My point is, I have no problem with the possible switch to 4-3, but it will be a major disaster if it takes away from the potential of Lee and Carter. If you're fortunate enough to land two guys of their caliber, you better not screw it up. So let's hope they're just as good in a 4-3 as they were in a 3-4.
  2. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,845 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    So would the 3-4.

As evident this year.
  3. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,678 Messages
    1,701 Likes Received
    And what in the world makes you think they won't do well? This will be nothing for them.

We played a LOT of 4-3 last year.
  4. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    The 3-4 will be a disaster if Lee and Carter don't perform well.

They're both more "prototypical" 4-3 linebackers than 3-4 linebackers, and they both excelled in the 4-3 in college.
  5. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,273 Messages
    479 Likes Received
    If lee and carter don't play at a high level it is irrelevant which scheme we are playing
  6. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,507 Messages
    1,280 Likes Received
    Maybe someone with more knowledge of the defensive formation can speak to this, but why wouldnt they do well? Does a 4-3 diminish their talents in some way?
  7. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,803 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    Will Lee and Carter actually have more protection in the new 4-3. Both are fast and extremely talented at reading a play. ??
  8. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,678 Messages
    1,701 Likes Received
    Not at all. It makes almost no difference for linebackers that can run, and both of these guys can fly.
  9. justbob

6,803 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    That would be my question... With their ability to read plays and run to them--doesn't the 4-3 shield them and give them even more of an opportunity to do that ----or am I thinking wrong.
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,144 Messages
    1,127 Likes Received
    Both played 4-3 in college just fine.
  11. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,414 Messages
    566 Likes Received
    It's not going to take away from their potential, if anything Kiffin's scheme will bring out the best of them.

Lee will be a star on the weakside. Kiffin's front is designed to protect your Will and flow all the action back to him, and for a playmaker like Lee that's exactly what we want. He's gonna be able to play clean and make tons of plays around the LOS, and also continue to thrive as an underneath zone defender. I'd expect Lee to have a monster year.

And for Carter, he is tailor-made to play the Mike. The reason we drafted him was because of his athleticism in space and his coverage ability. In Kiffin's D, the Mike has a lot of the responsibilty you would normally see out of a deep middle safety... you better be able to cover ground, and Carter is that type of guy. He's got the hips and change of direction to be a nightmare in the middle of the field for passing games and eliminate those inside seam threats. He's one of the few LBs in the league that can carry slot receivers vertically.
  12. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

3,844 Messages
    1,446 Likes Received
    I don't doubt they will both do well. I'm just saying that if, for some reason, they're not the same players in the 4-3, then the move will be a disaster. Otherwise, I really don't see a problem with changing to a 4-3. It isn't like our line was elite in a 3-4.
  13. justbob

6,803 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    Thanks ---good info
  14. TheFinisher

2,414 Messages
    566 Likes Received
    I played in a Kiffin-inspired scheme in college, Lee and Carter will thrive in it.
  15. hra8700

hra8700 Active Member

804 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    Agree. I think everyone wants lee at middle because of the history and importance in other 4-3 systems, but in Kiffins system a lot of responsibility is taken away from the MLB and he has to play a deep zone in coverage which is absolutely not lee's skillet and is great for Bruce carter. People love carter on the weak side because of speed but that position is all about instincts and in coverage it's all about reading the qb's eyes which is what lee is great at.
  16. TheFinisher

2,414 Messages
    566 Likes Received
    Yup, we're on the same page.

They fit it to a T.
  17. justbob

6,803 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    Thanks to you and the Finisher for the education...great info
  18. PAINFROMUKRAINE

PAINFROMUKRAINE Active Member

191 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    Lee is injury-prone so I am not sure if he can Thrive for 16 games. I love Lee's playmaking ability but his health issues will possibly haunt us. Plan B better be a decent backup for Lee.
  19. ykc

ykc Active Member

589 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Fromthe knee jerk reaction from JJ, it looks like either he realized or some told him that the rash of injuries we had on defense this year is because we don't have proper players to play 3-4. so to fit current players - he is swithcing to 4-3
  20. Yoshimitsu

Yoshimitsu Lurch

1,996 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    In a 4-3 he's more protected than he is in a 3-4 that we ran because of our lack of a true 0 tech NT.