1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

43 Years Ago Today

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Hostile, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,739 Messages
    2,411 Likes Received
    The broke ground in Irving, TX for Texas Stadium. How long before someone remarks about the loss to the Ravens?

[IMG]

I still miss the old girl.
  2. phildominator

phildominator Member

679 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    She's got my favorite Hole in the world!
  3. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,276 Messages
    1,558 Likes Received
    I miss her also. I've been there 12 - 13 times and that was a place that was loud and just emitted The Dallas Cowboys. The new stadium does not seem to have that feel to it...

Texas Stadium was a place where it was old school football...not all the fancy stuff...just kick *** football.

;)
  4. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,739 Messages
    2,411 Likes Received
    Our record at Texas Stadium was 196-95. We were 18-5 in the post season.
  5. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,517 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    That's why we miss her. She's our connection to the good ole days.
  6. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The new place is not nor will it ever be close to what Texas Stadium was.
  7. dboy214

dboy214 Benched

3,122 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    my uncle worked there for 20+ years doing various duties (parking, security, setup, etc..). i used to sit in this little enclosed booth while he worked and play with these little toys of the players, i wish i still had them. i have a lot of great memories of that place but the best ones were from high school football. if you played high school football in the state of texas, you know how special the atmosphere in there could get on those brisk November evenings. i'd go there with buddies to watch the triple headers in the playoffs (my team was never good enough to make it). we'd be there from 10am in the morning to 11pm at night watching quality texas high school football. that place was special imo because it was intimate. that is what the new stadium is missing. everyone is sectioned off in their own areas into little subdivisions and price levels. it's disgusting how much intimacy is lacking. frankly i'm upset with jerry for seemingly selling out on so many things with the new stadium i'll just stop now until this turns into a negative thread.

RIP Texas Stadium.
  8. Hagman

Hagman Put Niland and Green in the ROH

1,272 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Texas Stadium was a dump. The weeds had grown up high in the lots all around it. The parking access was awful. The stadium inside was dirty as boxes of stuff were piled up behind concession areas and other parts of it. The video screens were small and tucked away in corners. The exterior looked like a cheap mobile home as parts of the roof hadn't been painted in ages.........

But I'd still rather watch a game there than in Jerry's shiny new palace.

Besides that's were Staubach, Lilly, Landry and the heroes of America's team played.
  9. rathalarge

rathalarge Active Member

1,604 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I made it a point to watch the demolition live, early that Sunday morning. I won't tell anyone if a tear fell, but so many memories of watching games from the 1970's to the 2008 season ran through my mind during the final seconds.
  10. dboy214

dboy214 Benched

3,122 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    if i had known jerry's place would turn out the way it has, i would have taken $200 million in renovations to texas stadium and been happy with it.

i miss the place. :(
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eWHEcxjzRc
  11. punit328

punit328 Active Member

694 Messages
    31 Likes Received

I miss the old stadium myself. I actually prefer the old stadium to the new one
  12. panchucko

panchucko We have a pretty good offense Zone Supporter

2,004 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    in case you forgot what her inside looked like my last picture of her
    [IMG]
  13. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I'd take Texas Stadium back in a heartbeat over Cowboys Stadium.
  14. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

6,321 Messages
    715 Likes Received
    I'm with all of you. I liked Texas Stadium a lot better. The new place represents a benign football atmosphere.
  15. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Miss Texas Stadium as well. I remember I went to the last game. It was cold as hell and we lost to the Ravens. That's the last game we lost when I was in attendance.
  16. Venger

Venger Well-Known Member

2,471 Messages
    397 Likes Received
    That must be it, because toward the end, a cactus enema was more appealing than a trip to Texas Stadium.

My last game there, we turned on to Loop 12 30 minutes before kickoff and saw the stadium less than a mile away. We got inside at the end of the 1st quarter.

Uncomfortable chairs. Prison restroom accommodations.

Still, favorite game was our playoff game against Philly in what, 93, 94 maybe? Randall Cunningham was with them. We kicked their ***. It was wonderful.
  17. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2: That's just wrong. HILLARIOUS, but wrong!
  18. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,130 Messages
    4,329 Likes Received
    Like the others I really miss that also. Back in the NFL Today would come on the air and I couldn't wait to hear Pat Summerall say "You are looking live at Texas Stadium." It always gave me the chills. Still does just thinking about it.
  19. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,831 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    One of my regrets is never getting to see a game there live.
  20. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

...I've seen the Cowboys play in Detroit a few times but never in Dallas......strange, I was born VERY close to the day they broke ground for that stadium.....meant to be a cowboys fan I guess.