1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

5 To Know: Broaddus Breaks Down Handful Of Defensive Linemen

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Feb 5, 2013.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,423 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    Star Lotulelei, DT, (6-4, 325), Utah
    Massive man that can be difficult to block when he is in the gap…plays with some explosive strength…good leverage…can stuff blockers and win the one-on-one battles…can handle the double team blocks…doesn’t get knocked back…hard man to move…can disengage from blocks…will make plays down the line…not a slug that sits inside and doesn’t move, can get outside of the tackle box…see hand use…can make some short area quickness plays…see him chase the ball…doesn’t have many pass rush moves…more about playing with power and pushing the pocket from inside…forced two fumbles by the USC center just by lining up over his nose….would play as a one technique in this 4-3 scheme and a nose in 3-4….should test very well athletically.

Sharrif Floyd, DT, (6-3, 301), Florida
    Could play him at tackle or end, both in this Gators scheme….square player…gets up the field…nice quickness when used in the twist stunt…stays active, does not stop….fights off the block…can retrace steps when he gets up the field and the ball comes back inside….showed nice power by throwing Texas A&M tackle Luke Joeckel off balance on a pass rush…will fight the double team block…very mobile to chase….runs plays down from backside…good pass rush moves…quick arm over…active with his hands….can be trouble for blockers when he is on the move…can push the pocket from the inside…played well against outstanding competition….type of player that never comes off the field.

Sheldon Richardson, DT (6-4, 295), Missouri
    Richardson like Floyd is a Junior that is coming out early in this draft…runs very well…outstanding at chasing the ball…nice hustle play against South Carolina getting to the outside and causing a fumble on a screen…plays with balance…has a quick swim move…gets his hands inside to control blockers, can shed quickly…

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...Linemen-/fe331cbf-4451-4df9-a99a-ecd33771f0be
  2. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,335 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    I would be happy with Floyd or Richardson
  3. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,872 Messages
    2,339 Likes Received
    At this early stage, that is kind of the two guys I've honed in on at DT.

Both are 3 tech's who could play the 1 or even SDE in the right circumstances (like Red Bryant for Seattle). Both are extremely versatile and would allow Marinelli to do a ton with our DL.

Good, versatile, coordinated, athletic DT's are so hard to find and make such a huge impact on a defense that I'm leaning towards just taking either Richardson or Floyd if one is available at 18.

Like I said though... it is still very early.
  4. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,042 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    My board for #18 is getting real short with these 2 at the top along with Warmack.
  5. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,423 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus
    “@xAsDaylightDies: @BryanBroaddus If Mingo fell to 18 u think Cowboys draft him?” No I doubt. They don't like him as much as you do.
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
  6. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,411 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    If we were still in the 3-4 we could have moved up and selected Star and plugged him in at at the NT position and probably would have instantly had a top 5 defense even playing the same exact players at every other position, and probably even if we lost Spencer.
  7. Cowboy_Ace

Cowboy_Ace Member

137 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    I keep hearing people say richardson has character issues, what exactly are they if someone knows? I'm just curious because I think he can be a beast nd any defense.
  8. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,956 Messages
    522 Likes Received
    The issues are overblown-kid didn't love going to class and skipped out on a few. On the other hand he loves football and never seems to skip any snaps.

Gotta love his intensity for a Cowboy defense sorely lacking in that department.
  9. Cowboy_Ace

Cowboy_Ace Member

137 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Ya that's good to hear, I want d-line in the first unless one of the top 3 ot fall, or trade back. Just what my preference is.
  10. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,718 Messages
    3,931 Likes Received
    Depends on Free, how they feel about Parnell and Rat, and what they plan to do with Spencer. You do that, then FA, then address the draft.

Too fluid for big predictions but you can see the options.
  11. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,906 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    This is what I gather as well. He skipped out on class. He has a high motor and a lot of physical talent. It will be interesting to see how he does on the wonderlic.