1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

64 years ago today

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Cajuncowboy, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Was D-Day.

And in light of what we learned today on the main forum, in honor of Scott Haggerty and all of the vets, I'm putting down my gun (figuratively) and dropping all of the arguing for today.

We all have one thing in common and I want to rally around that tonight.

Good night all.
  2. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,213 Messages
    918 Likes Received
    Its 7:41 here.... Way to wait until most of the day is over......

;)
  3. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,748 Messages
    3 Likes Received
  4. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

6,036 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    During the first wave, 95% of the men were killed before setting foot off the boat.

Incredible.

The valor displayed by those men was unbelievable. They're true heroes.
  5. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Backwoods Sexy Staff Member

62,420 Messages
    5,950 Likes Received
    Now this is the type of thread I can appreciate and respect.

That is a compliment and ONLY a compliment.
  6. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They were truly America's greatest generation :bow:
  7. Hostile

Hostile Jason Garrett's Loudest Supporter Zone Supporter

119,426 Messages
    3,678 Likes Received
    One of my neighbors, Bill Lindskog, was in that invasion. I love talking to him about WWII. He loves Patton like no soldier I have ever heard talk about him. In my opinion he's one of the greatest men I have ever known. About 4 years ago he gave me a 12 gauge shotgun because it's now too much gun for him to shoot.
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

42,335 Messages
    2,018 Likes Received
    Do NOT exagerate. We did not lose 95% of the first wave. Omaha was bad but it was not THAT bad.
    The First 30 minutes of Saving Private Ryan is the best footage you will ever see that comes closest to showing what happened. I have talked to a lot of vets who were there who have told me that film gave them flashbacks like nothing else they had ever seen, including combat film.
  9. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

6,036 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    I was just quoting what was in Stephen Ambrose's book, Citizen Solider.
  10. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,070 Messages
    158 Likes Received
    I think what that quote meant was that 95% of the casualties were hit before they got to the beach. Not that there were 95% casualties in the wave total.

Got to agree about Saving Private Ryan. Talked to a number of vets after getting out of the movie, and they were really impressed by the authenticity of the landing sequances.
  11. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,665 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Or so he claims.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

42,335 Messages
    2,018 Likes Received
    12 Gauge has quite a kick. For a man who is at least 81 or 82 years old it probably is too much.
  13. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,819 Messages
    477 Likes Received
    that number is a tad high.

Casualties were high but no way were 95% killed

I was in Normandy back in 2001, was a moving experience.

My wife and I were the only Canadians on the tour so it didn't stop at the Canadian beach Juno, but we made sure everyone knew it was the Canadian beach as we passed it.

Standing in gun emplacements and in the shell holes at Pointe du Hoc knowing that guys who were 19, 20, 21 died there was humbling.
  14. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

6,036 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    I would say to take it up with Ambrose....but he died a few years ago...I think.

95% is not exaggerating. Now...it does not mean that 95% died on the beaches at all. Take this into consideration. And this is the initial wave, BTW.

32 DD tanks were launched about 5 miles from the beach. 27 sank almost immediately. Of the five that remained, only 3 made it to the beach. All of the DUKs containing artillery sank on the way. The fact that supporting armour DID NOT make it to the beach helped lead to some pretty bad losses when the infantry arrived. Two companies of Rangers suffered 50% casualties before reaching the sea-wall.

That doesn't take into consideration the landing craft that were already zeroed. The Germans had that entire beach covered...they knew all the ranges. The leading company suffered 4000 casualties alone. The casualty rate for landing troops was 50%.

So, I don't see how 95% killed before any troops set a boot on the sand is any stretch at all.

Omar Bradley wanted to leave Omaha and focus on Utah. He was told that would not happen....fortunately, our troops continued on.

Anyway, Juno had horrors of its own....as did all other beaches. I believe it was Juno where landing vehicles had to drive over their own dead soldiers.

I think many of us have forgotten what sacrifice really means. I find it sad that our state curriculum doesn't focus more on history.
  15. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wonder what it must have been like to be in the second wave during a battle like that. You can look down and see firsthand the results of the first wave, yet still march on.