1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

'71 'Boys the 8th best team ever?

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by pancakeman, Feb 2, 2006.

1. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,878 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    from http://www.tenmojo.com/sports/football/football_nfl_best_teams_all_time.htm
  2. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Any best teams ever list that doesnt have the 1992 Cowboys in the top 5 doesnt even deserve a second look
  3. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,541 Messages
    819 Likes Received
    The Bears and Fins are the only ones in the top five I agree with.

The 85 bears were a freak of nature.
  4. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,809 Messages
    377 Likes Received
    ***? The 92-93 Cowboys would have steamrolled every single of of those teams!!!
  5. kingwhicker

kingwhicker BCRSA

3,290 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wouldn't wipe my a with that list.
  6. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This tells you all you need to know:

Top 10 List on the Ten Best NFL Teams of All Time

The Criteria:

1 - No duplicates on the list (franchise may only be selected once)
    2 - All teams must have played in the NFL

:laugh2:

-------

And for what it's worth, Roger Staubach played on both the '71 team and the '77 team and he believed the '77 team was slightly better because of the home-run threat that Dorsett brought.

And the '92 team was arguably better anyway.
  7. kingwhicker

kingwhicker BCRSA

3,290 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The 71 team was a great team, but probably only the 4th or 5th best of our SB teams- I would rank them in this order:

And yes, I consider the 1993 team better than the 1992 team- had to endure more injuries, distractions, harder schedule, etc.
  8. aznhalf

aznhalf New Member

882 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ruling out teams before the merger, but yeah, kind of redundant.

I think our 90's team was better, but what can you do.
  9. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    when you got the '99 Rams as one of the top 10 best Super Bowl teams ever, you KNOW the criteria is F'D up
  10. Derinyar

Derinyar Well-Known Member

2,138 Messages
    225 Likes Received
    The guy probably worked from what he thought was the bpttom of the list upward
  11. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,116 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Exactly. The guy lost all credibility with that list.

The 'Boys blew out a team 52-17 that went to 4 straight SBs.
  12. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,850 Messages
    318 Likes Received

USC won't be happy about that!
  13. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,864 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    The '72 Dolphins are the most overrated team in the history of team sports.
  14. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received

:hammer: HH I strongly concur...;)
  15. HTownCowboysFan

HTownCowboysFan New Member

1,912 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's no ****. Even though I think the '93 team was WAY better.
  16. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The 1993 team had injuries that deprived it of some of its depth. The probably had the most talent, but IMO the 1992 team, by the end of the season, was playing as good if not better than any team in history.

The 1992 NFC title game in Candlestick was one of the most amazing games Ive ever seen
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,596 Messages
    1,561 Likes Received
    When you look at the pure talent on the 1971 team Defense, plus Roger and the rest of the offense, it is the greatest team the Cowboys ever had. So many weanies think it is all about the OFFENSE. The Doomsday offense of 1971 was very nearly in the category of the Bears and Ravens D as regards to stats; and be the end of the season it ate everyone up. only 18 pts allowed in 3 playoff games. All but shut out and completely dominated the Dolphins - the team that one year later went undefeated. The biggest difference between the 92-93 teams and the 71 team was the greater talent on the D of 71 and on O of 92-93. BUT even then: Duane Thomas, Calvin, Hill, Walt Garrison were fine backs- Thomas and Hill very nearly all pro. And as good as Aikman was, Roger was better. So as regards the backfield- pretty even overall. WR? Bullett BOb and Lance Alworth vs Mike Irvin and AL Harper= at the very least a draw. TE- Mike Ditka is in the HOF and Novacek should be. Line: Wright and company were very nearly as good as the 92-93 bunch. Just a slight edge overall offense to the 92-93 team. BUt the 71 team had a pretty big edge on D. Lilly, Jordan, Howley, Green, Renfro, Harris, Waters- all are or should be HOF. Just nowhere near that much talent on the 92 D.
  18. fiveandcounting

fiveandcounting New Member

1,592 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I guess its all subjective. The 71 team had a mediocre 1st half and then they were absoultely dominant. Look at some of the scores of the games on their winning streak to end the season. And they are still the only super bowl team to hold the opponent to under a TD. The 77 team was #1 in the NFL, not just NFC, in both total offense and total defense and they manhandled every team in the postseason. I would rank it 77, 71, 92, 93, 95
  19. MinnesotaCowboy

MinnesotaCowboy Member

624 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Did the HOF voters make up this list?:D
  20. dewey

dewey New Member

205 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This may be true, but until someone else goes through a perfect season, they'll continue to make all the lists.