1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

7th round Cowboys select Caleb McSurdy ILB Montana

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Apr 28, 2012.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,623 Messages
    3,969 Likes Received
    And that is it for today. Next will be signing UDFAs.
  2. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,546 Messages
    390 Likes Received
  3. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,292 Messages
    528 Likes Received
  4. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,922 Messages
    945 Likes Received
    lol okay then. Obviously we have no qualms with either line as they currently stand. Excellent.
  5. cds99

cds99 Member

128 Messages
    11 Likes Received

Can says i know of him
  6. JTHonza

JTHonza New Member

1 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I thought they've been signing UDFA every few rounds today
  7. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    You were going to be made more comfortable by us expending a 7th round pick than signing the 3 or 4 linemen we'll get in UDFAs? hehe
  8. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

1,775 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    They looked happy about him in the war room. Or maybe it was that the draft was over for them.
  9. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,246 Messages
    1,171 Likes Received
    12. Caleb McSurdy Montana 5.10 6-1 1/4 245 4.92

Notes:
    The Idaho prep was an all-state linebacker and tight end as a senior and was the state champion in both the shot put and the discus as a junior. Played in all 16 games as a true freshman in 2008, recording 18 tackles, zero tackles for loss and zero sacks with one forced fumble. In ’09, he posted 32-0-0 with two pass breakups and one interception in 15 games. Made all 11 starts in ’10 and paced the team in tackles with 112-7 1⁄2-1⁄2 with two pass breakups and one forced fumble. Was named Big Sky Defensive Player of the Year in ’11, registering 131-9-4 with two pass breakups, two interceptions and two forced fumbles in 14 starts. Also participated in the throwing events for the Montana track squad. Team captain.

Positives:
    Form tackler generates pop on contact. Excellent two-year production. Extremely tough and competitive. Very consistent, hardworking and durable. Plays hard and competes. Takes on blockers with physicality. Works hard in the weight room.

Negatives:
    Short arms. Tight hips. Average athlete (and showed stumbling in Combine drills). Heavy-legged short-stepper — has marginal foot speed and can be outflanked to the perimeter. Not explosive (30-inch vertical). Not stout at the point. Liability in man coverage — cannot keep pace with backs. Marginal competition.

Summary:
    Try-hard, productive Big Sky standout who might be relegated to a backup, two-down thumper role. Lack of versatility detracts from value and will have to earn his way on special teams.
  10. cdewsxzaq

cdewsxzaq Member

127 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Crap! I was hoping we would get that Matt Johnson guy in the seventh! Oh well...

...Wait a second!
  11. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I guess OL and DL doesn't matter?
  12. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,546 Messages
    390 Likes Received
    don't mean to overrate 40 times but a 4.97????? But he has great instincts.
  13. BrAinPaiNt

60,623 Messages
    3,969 Likes Received
    Overview

McSurdy was a force in the Big Sky Conference in his senior year, recording 114 tackles and 7.5 tackles for loss. He is a thick, short inside linebacker who doesn't have great speed but should be able to use his strength, instincts and tackling ability to find playing time early and often at the next level. He could be selected in the late rounds to a team seeking linebacker depth.
    Analysis
    Strengths
    McSurdy is a very instinctual linebacker who relies on his play recognition and pre-snap keys to put himself in a strong position to make plays. He is a quick-twitched mover once the ball is snapped and easily sniffs out run plays. He is a solid, reliable wrap-up tackler on the inside and shows a polished ability to dip his hips, fend off a low block and make a quick move towards the ball.
    Weaknesses
    McSurdy is a bit undersized for the inside linebacker position. Given his inexperience with top-line collegiate play, he could struggle against bigger offensive linemen working toward the second level in the NFL. He struggles against tight ends.
  14. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,774 Messages
    727 Likes Received
    I like this guy. Cool name too
  15. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Caleb McSurdy NFL Combine Results

Image Search - Powered by: Player Info
    Height: 73 inches
    Weight: 245 pounds
    Wonderlic: N/A
    Position: ILB
    College: Montana
    Draft Class: 2012
    Measurables40 Yard Dash: 4.97 seconds
    20 Yard Dash: N/A seconds
    10 Yard Dash: N/A seconds
    Bench Press: 26 reps (225 lb)
    Vertical Leap: 30.0 inches
    Broad Jump: 90 inches
    Shuttle: 4.28
    Three Cone:
  16. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,246 Messages
    1,171 Likes Received
    If you cant cover you cant play in the league. Throw away pick.
  17. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    "I went out and did that and felt pretty decent." McSurdy also re-tested in the 40-yard dash, and lowered his time from 4.97 at the combine to 4.68 and 4.70. "Coach (Aric) Williams had me at 4.66," McSurdy added. "I think he might've given me the home-town discount. But, good day."

Self-deprecating. I like it.
  18. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,341 Messages
    324 Likes Received

You're finally catching on,,,

[IMG]
  19. BrAinPaiNt

60,623 Messages
    3,969 Likes Received
    When the name first popped up I thought of Norm McDonald playing Burt Reynolds on Celebrity Jeopardy on SNL and changing his name to Turd Ferguson.

Yes I am warped
  20. jswalker1981

jswalker1981 Fact > Your Opinion

2,616 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ANALYSIS
    STRENGTHS McSurdy is a very instinctual linebacker who relies on his play recognition and pre-snap keys to put himself in a strong position to make plays. He is a quick-twitched mover once the ball is snapped and easily sniffs out run plays. He is a solid, reliable wrap-up tackler on the inside and shows a polished ability to dip his hips, fend off a low block and make a quick move towards the ball.
    WEAKNESSES McSurdy is a bit undersized for the inside linebacker position. Given his inexperience with top-line collegiate play, he could struggle against bigger offensive linemen working toward the second level in the NFL. He struggles against tight