1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

7th round Cowboys select Caleb McSurdy ILB Montana

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Apr 28, 2012.

1. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,672 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    I'm thinking the Boys will have a impressive UDFA list, or thats the hope anyway.
  2. jswalker1981

jswalker1981 Fact > Your Opinion

2,616 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Funny, I remember signing two offensive linemen in FA, and we drafted a DE in the 3rd round.
  3. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    The only pick we made where I dont see a lot of upside
  4. ManicDepressiveMan

ManicDepressiveMan Member

753 Messages
    3 Likes Received
  5. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,464 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Personally, after round two, I don't think there was a lineman who could make our team other than maybe The Georgia and Baylor centers, and they were gone quickly later.

I think other than center, it was clear that we were happy with the OL because even DeCastro was seen as a center.

We drafted a DE in round 3.
  6. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,521 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    Wow, a LB that couldn't make 8 feet on the broad jump. 30 on the vert isn't too horrific. The short shuttle is okay.

I suppose I would accept those numbers if he were really big but he is actually on the small side at 6-1.

Sounds like a ST pick.
  7. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,638 Messages
    3,156 Likes Received
    He's one of Melsy's "sleepers".
  8. BigWillie

BigWillie Well-Known Member

1,757 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    You know it's bad when the guys on the radio feed for the Cowboys war room are laughing at how bad the pick is.
  9. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,796 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    How is a 7th round OL/DL going to help immediately?

And don't they have a few of those developmental ones drafted last yr? doesn't it take a year or two to develop?
  10. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,464 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Brady James says you're a liar :lmao2:
  11. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,250 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    Sounds like a camp body since we only have 3 ILBs on the roster...as of now.
  12. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    McSurdy is your Special Teams special in the 7th round... that used to be a kind of a Cowboys tradition...

He's an ILB who goes 6-1, 245 pounds and ran a 4.7 40 at his Pro Day... some scouts project him to FB, which is kind of interesting... and as I alluded to above, he is a special teams stud...
  13. StarHead69

StarHead69 Active Member

1,340 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I'm at a loss on this pick. The other obscure guys had good combine/pro-day numbers, this guy sounds slowww. Guess I should get ready to read a ton of articles detailing his incredible football IQ and how, when he trips over his own feet, he somehow rolls into the ball-carrier every time.

Hope he contributes early and often ... Go Cowboys!
  14. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

1,567 Messages
    222 Likes Received
    No interior lineman BOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  15. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received

At his Pro Day, he timed in the 4.66-4.68 second range on some watches... others had him at 4.7, still others at 4.75...
  16. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,672 Messages
    14 Likes Received

FB you say. I remember the Boys, in the past, making FBs out of former LBs.
  17. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Could it be the Cowboys see him as a fullback prospect??
  18. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,110 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    03/12/2012 - There were nearly two dozen NFL teams represented at the University of Montana's pro day on Friday, and any number of them would like to have Caleb McSurdy suiting up and making big hits next fall. Some of them, though, think it might happen on offense.

McSurdy was one of 22 players who went through several drills in front of NFL scouts at UM, including speed drills on the SprinTurf of Washington-Grizzly Stadium. He'd been through all of them before at the NFL scouting combine on Feb. 27, but that was at linebacker. Some of these guys want McSurdy to play fullback. "It's awesome," said the 242-pounder, who was the Big Sky Conference's defensiveplayer of the year. "There's a few teams that just let me know that's what they saw me at. They tell you, " Hey, we want to work you out as a fullback at your pro day,' and you just do it."

McSurdy earned all-conference honors at tight end as a senior at Borah High in Boise, Idaho, and also played some running back. It seems safe to assume he excelled. "No, not really," he said. "I was kind of a bruiser. And not to throw anybody under the bus, but my O-line wasn't terrific. So there were a lot of 2-yard runs that took a lot of effort." Five years later he was back on that side of the ball, if only for an afternoon. "Obviously they want to see you catch the ball and run some routes," he said. "I went out and did that and felt pretty decent." McSurdy also re-tested in the 40-yard dash, and lowered his time from 4.97 at the combine to 4.68 and 4.70. "Coach (Aric) Williams had me at 4.66," McSurdy added. "I think he might've given me the home-town discount. But, good day." - Fritz Neighbor, The Missoulian
  19. revospeed

revospeed Active Member

621 Messages
    168 Likes Received
    Ollie Hoyte?
  20. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    sure, we can draft robert brewster again in the 3rd if that helps?

they have to draft guys who they think can play football before worrying about position this late.

we got a dl out of the draft. i'd have loved an oc but it didn't happen.
    we'll see come training camp if any of these guys can play or if they all suck as we've been told by people who've never watched a second of tape on any of them.

the last couple rounds of the draft is tossing darts. the better we know a guy as fans the more likely they can't play a lick.