1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

A Balanced Cowboys Draft I Like

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Chuck 54, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,275 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    (without explanations of possible moves or player bios...only six players deep though the haul could be more)

1. Michael Brockers, DE...LSU

2. Trumaine Johnson, CB...Montana

3. Ben Johnson, C...Georgia

4. Jake Bequette, OLB...Arkansas

5. Winston Guy, S...Kentucky

6. Tim Biere, TE...Kansas
  2. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,470 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    ugh no, Brockers=Spears
    the only pick i like is the 3rd. And where's the second 4th round pick we have?
  3. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    The way it's shaping up, it may come down to DeCastro or Brockers so put your seat belt on. lol
  4. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,470 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    sheesh i hope not, I fail to see how Brockers would upgrade the passrush in any way whatsoever. Not saying you are wrong at all, I'm saying the org would be mentally deficient to take him IMO. IMO, you can get the same player, Jared Crick, in the late 2nd possibly 3rd round.
  5. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I agree somewhat, I have been spending the last day or so really familiarizing myself with Brockers and he has a lot more upside then I wanted to realize at first. I really get the feeling he is one of the 3 we will most likely end up with so I want to know just what kind of player we would really be getting.

My hopes are that he is taken early and we have Barron and DeCastro sitting there at 14 but I fully expect either Barron or Brockers and Decastro is who we are dealing with come Thursday.

I guess the question becomes if Dallas thinks enough of Brockers and DeCastro to pull the trigger at 14 if Barron is gone.
  6. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,022 Messages
    374 Likes Received
    I am also not opposed to Brockers but could you give us your feelings on him? He has excellent size and is a raw player who was solid in the run game.
  7. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    A couple things I do like: He's one of the youngest players in the draft much like Smith last year, he has great size and motor. He is relentless in pursuit and has very long arms that help him create space. He is more quick then fast and has good explosion. He actually has the frame to add strength and will benefit from a NFL weight program so his growth is not maxed out. You can move him inside our outside and creates mismatches either way. He plays in the opponents backfield and usually establishes the line of scrimmage.

A couple things I do not like: He tends to play high and that will be exposed in the NFL. Because of age he has a lack of maturity and did not interview real well. I have heard reports of his intelligence also being questioned. He may take some time to develop but I'm not talking years, I'm talking weeks. The more he plays early and gets the struggles out of the way the quicker he will develop. He does have a shoulder injury that required surgery this off season and I question where he is with that because he only put up 21 reps at his pro day and skipped the BP at the combine. Most of all only 1 real year of productivity.
  8. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,022 Messages
    374 Likes Received
    I very much agree with all that. Thank you. From what I have watched from him, he seems to hold up pretty well against double teams. It is pretty impressive considering he only really played one year and he is so young.
  9. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I think DeCastro would contribute an additional 4-8 points a game, just by improving our short yardage running. Can Brockers make that kind of difference each game? An argument can be made that Barron prevents 4-8 points a game, making it a wash, but I don't see a DE making that kind of difference. Lissimore, Hatcher and Spears will start ahead of any DE we bring in to start the season.
  10. Chuck 54

9,275 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    In my opinion, Brockers will be one of the big names along the DL in the next two years...he's already bigger than the average NFL DLman, and he's not finished growing yet or maturing yet.

It's not just that he'll be our best D-lineman right away; our line needs to be deeper and better, fresher with a great rotation...it will help everyone make more plays and get penetration.

I really like Trumaine Johnson at CB...he has the size and ability to ease into coverage packages now and step in for Jenkins if we can't resign him after this year.

The Arkansas OLB has great size and some pass rushing ability, so he adds depth to a thin rotation as well.

The safety from Kentucky has excellent size, and while he didn't run a fast 40 at the combine, he reminds me of a poor man's Darren Woodson...he had to play all over the place on a poor Kentucky defense as their best player...he's smart, can tackle, can cover, and has made impact plays from a hybrid position.

The TE from Kansas is just the type we need to fit in with Witten and Phillips...probably a better blocker than either of them, good size, tough, big timer in red zone, but not a star...a complimentary TE.

Brockers isn't my first choice at DE for this season, but in 2-3 years when he grows up, I really think Brockers may be unblockable...and he's pretty good and relentless now. I'll be thrilled with Cox, Poe, or Brockers. Any of the three will improve our defense up front and make the group deeper and fresher all game long. As things stand, our front 7, play too many plays IMO.
  11. Chuck 54

9,275 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    I know you were only referring to reports, but he seemed very at ease, witty, and together in some ad lib situations during his stint on ESPN.
  12. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,246 Messages
    1,171 Likes Received
    What about his lack of explosion? I could maybe see him as an LDE with his height and arm length blocking alot of thrown balls and making passing lanes harder to see in.
  13. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,783 Messages
    4,335 Likes Received
    We already have a Brockers clone:

[IMG]
  14. Chuck 54

9,275 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    To be honest, with no disrespect, saying any player will make a specific range of points difference for the team is just wishful supposition that anyone can throw out, but no one can actually support.

we could have signed Nicks, but we still couldn't say that would add "X" number of points to our offense.
  15. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    How many times were we in short ans goal situations and had to settle for a field goal? Improving the OL would convert one of those a game to a TD. How many times were we unable to pick up yardage on third and short? A first down can help run out the clock, maybe lead to a field goal instead of a punt.

I can see 4-8 points difference easily.
  16. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,048 Messages
    7,527 Likes Received
    Super sleeper Ben Johnson from Georgia.
  17. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    For me if it comes down to Brockers and Decastro I go Decastro.
    Brockers could turn into a very good player but too many questions to take him at 14.

and this is coming from a guy who really wants defense with this pick
  18. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    at least with Decastro you can be pretty damn sure you did not blow the pick. then in round 2 you can gamble on what a player may turn into but I really think with the first pick you have to go with the sure thing when that sure thing is a special player just not playing the right position
  19. Chuck 54

9,275 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    Battle tested for sure
  20. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

3,023 Messages
    138 Likes Received
    One thing that really helps sway my vote to David DeCastro is that he'll be a full-time starter the moment he joins the team.

RG (college position), LG and C are all possibilities for DeCastro.

Michael Brockers would likely be a role player featured on early downs and not get on the field much in passing situations early in his career.

Keeping Tony Romo upright in the pocket is my chief concern and I've felt for a long time DeCastro will be one of the top five players from this class.

Easy call.