1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

A Clash of Kings

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Maikeru-sama, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm about 3/4 into George R.R. Martin's book A Clash of Kings.

I thought A Game of Thrones was fantastic but I think A Clash of Kings is much better. I thought it was going to be just 2-3 people taking upon themselves the name of king but now the realm seems to be full of them.
  2. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,910 Messages
    636 Likes Received
    That sounds interesting, what's the synopsis?
  3. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Fantastic series.

The synopsis is from Wikipedia.

link
  4. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Hey Maikeru, you do know that we have a thread called 'rate the last book you read', right?

I'm not being a smart-*** just a heads up if you don't know for some reason.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177673

BTW- I just ordered the first four books online about half an hour ago. I can't wait to start reading them.
  5. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm quite familiar with that thread but I haven't finished reading this book yet.

Thanks for the heads up though and enjoy the series ;) .
  6. Cover 2

Cover 2 Pessimists Unite!!!

3,132 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    You still have a lot of twists and turns to go by the time you finish the fourth book. That's one good thing about this series though. There is never a dull moment.
  7. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think this was my favorite book of the series. Sooo much action.
  8. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Dallas, I wondered if you can clear something up for me.

You gave me two maps of Westeros the other day. I am trying to figure out what are the "Free Cities" and although I know Dany's location isn't in Westeros, but is she East, South or West of Westeros.

Also, it is interesting that you say this is the best book because I believe the 4th book was the one that had the major success. Just goes to show you just how fantastic the series is.
  9. AmarilloCowboyFan

AmarilloCowboyFan Well-Known Member

2,416 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    I was curious as to the map as well and looked around and found a couple of things that sort of help put it together.

There is a map "The Lands of the Summer Sea" here:

http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~madsb/home/read/asoiaf/maps/

Then you can read this article:

http://iceandfire.wikia.com/wiki/Essos

From what I can gather, the summer sea map is even farther east of the Free Cities and where Dany is so that section doesn't appear to be mapped yet.
  10. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,075 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    I'm probably 2/3 of the way through it and I'm digging it as well. I'm hoping to finish it by tomorrow.
  11. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Man, you read fast.
  12. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thanks for these.

Just started reading and remembered this thread.
  13. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,075 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    It's not that as much as that I work nights and it's pretty slow for the majority of the time I'm there. It gives me a lot of time to read.
  14. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Since yesterday, I have been having trouble pulling the maps on the 1st link up.
  15. AmarilloCowboyFan

AmarilloCowboyFan Well-Known Member

2,416 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Ya that site had some issues earlier but it appears to be working now.
  16. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  17. Dallas

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The nine city-states composing the Free Cities lie Across the Narrow Sea, east of Westeros, on the western side of the eastern continent, mostly on islands or along the coast. There are significant differences between the geography of the various cities, from the thick forests between Norvos and Qohor, to the rolling hills of Pentos, to the tiny islands of Braavos. Mountains to the east separate the coast from the plains of the Dothraki Sea, though gaps in the mountain range provide the Dothraki people some access to the Free Cities. To the north are the Shivering Sea and Ibben, an island inhabited by sealskin-clad whalers. To the south are Slaver's Bay and a series of straits leading to the Jade Sea in the far east.

The Nine Free Cities

Although the Free Cities are nine distinct states they share a common ancestry in being former Valyrian colonies (except for Braavos). Some, like Braavos, have unique and independent cultures, while others, like Pentos and Myr, share many cultural traits.
    Pentos

Main article: Pentos Pentos is a major trading port on a bay of the western coast. Dominated by an architecture of square brick towers it is headed by a Prince that is chosen by the de facto rulers of the city, known as Magisters. The city abuts the Dothraki Sea but is spared the raiding and invasions of its inhabitants by paying tribute to the heads of its warbands. Men from Pentos wear dyed and forked beards. As in many Free Cities, slavery is outlawed, but the wealthy and powerful members of the city have the ability to flout these laws by keeping servants collared in bronze.
    Notable Pentoshi:
    Braavos

Main article: Braavos Unique among the Free Cities, Braavos was not a Valyrian colony, but a secret refuge from Valyrian expansion. A seafaring city of tiny islands, Braavos is known for its swashbuckling bravos and its Guild of the Faceless Men. It is also famed for the Titan of Braavos, a combination fortress and statue.
    Lys

Main article: Lys Lys is another of the Free Cities that sits astride a series of islands. The Lysene have a tendency to be tall and fair of skin and eyes, unlike most inhabitants of the Free Cities. Lys is well known for its pleasure houses, training slaves in the arts of love and selling them as concubines and bed-slaves. Lys also frequently fights over control of the Stepstones and the Disputed Lands. There appears to be a love goddess whose worship is peculiar to Lys.
    Notable Lyseni:
    Qohor

Main article: Qohor The Free City of Qohor is situated on the main continent, in the vast Forest of Qohor. It is known for its fine tapestries and its smiths, who have the rare ability to reforge Valyrian Steel, even directly infusing the metal with a variety of different colors. The Black Goat is a prominent god in the city. Qohor's city guard has comprised solely of Unsullied eunuch slave soldiers ever since the Battle of the Three Thousand, when 3,000 Unsullied guardsmen successfully defended the city against over 25,000 Dothraki horsemen. Guardsmen tie braids of human hair to their spears to commemorate the Dothraki cutting their braids in salute to Qohor's defenders.
    Notable Qohoriks:
    • Vargo Hoat, called "the Goat" and "the Crippler", leader of the brutal mercenary company called the Brave Companions, known to their detractors as the Bloody Mummers.
    Norvos

Main article: Norvos Norvos sits on the main continent in two parts, one atop a high hill and the other beside a low river. The city has three large bells, each with its own name and distinctive voice, that are rung frequently. The surrounding area is a land of rolling hills, terraced farms, and white-stucco villages. The climate is fairly mild. Norvosi can be recognized by their dyed and upswept mustaches. The city is run by a council of magisters that are known to pay tribute to passing Dothraki khalasars. It is also home to a group of bearded priests that train elite guardsmen. These guardsmen swear oaths of duty and consider themselves wedded to their distinctive long axes.
    Notable Norvosi:
    Myr

Main article: Myr Myr is a coastal city renowned for their master lens crafters, intricate lace and fine carpets. The dark eyed and dark skinned Myrmen are similar to Norvos and Pentos in that they are ruled by magisters that are known to pay tribute to passing Dothraki khalasars. Myr is a hub of trade in both slaves and their signature green nectar wines. Myr frequently fights over control of the Disputed Lands.
    Notable Myrmen:
    • Taena Merryweather, a sultry beauty married to Lord Orton Merryweather. She claims to have powerful friends in the Free Cities and is a friend and confidant to Cersei Lannister.
    Tyrosh

Main article: Tyrosh A coastal city-state ruled by an Archon, Tyrosh is infamous for its avarice. Traders deal extensively in slaves and Tyroshi pear brandy. The city features an abundance of pleasure houses, but they are not as highly regarded as those in Lys. Tyroshi master armorsmiths make intricate armor in fantastic shapes. Tyrosh is a popular center for the hiring of sellswords. The city is often drawn into the ongoing conflicts over the Disputed Lands and the Stepstones. The Tyroshi often wear forked beards and pointed mustaches dyed in bright colors.
    At the start of the War of the Ninepenny Kings, the Band of Nine conquered Tyrosh and put Alequo Adarys the Goldentongued into power. Six years after the Band was crushed at the Stepstones, Alequo was deposed.
    Notable Tyroshi:
    Volantis

Main article: Volantis The southernmost of the Free Cities, Volantis is situated nearest Slaver's Bay and does extensive trade in slaves, glassware and wines. Volantene sellswords are often recognizable by their tattooed faces. It is not uncommon for the Volantene to mark their slaves and servants with tattoos as well. Volantis is sometimes drawn into conflicts over the Disputed Lands.
    Lorath

Main article: Lorath Lorath is a port city on a group of islands. Jaqen H'ghar posed as a Lorathi for a time, wearing long hair dyed red on one side and white on the other.
  18. Dallas

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    She is located on the continent of Essos which lies East across the Narrow Seas from Westeros. The author actually never writes about Essos but has mentioned it in interviews. I think Dany is in Qarth which is the gateway to the East and is the central trading city of Essos.

Below is the Wiki on Essos.

The name 'Essos' is not used in the series but was mentionned by George R.R. Martin in an interview [1].

Being roughly the size of Eurasia, the continent's geography and climate vary greatly. The western coastline is characterized by green rolling hills, the massive
    Forest of Qohor, and extensive island chains such as Braavos and Lys. The middle of the continent is covered by the flat grasslands of the Dothraki Sea and the arid wastes known as the Red Lands to the east. Beyond the Red Lands, the city of Qarth sits beside the straits that lead to the Jade Sea. The south is dominated by dry rolling hills and has a Mediterranean climate, with a coastline along the Summer Sea and Slaver's Bay.

The north coast of the mainland is separated from the polar cap by the Shivering Sea. To the south, across the Summer Sea, lies the uncharted continent of Sothoryos. In the extreme east, across the Jade Sea, sit Asshai, Yi Ti, and the mysterious region called the Shadow Lands. It is a matter of speculation whether these easternmost regions are physically attached to the mainland or are separated from it by the Jade Sea.

I think she's in Q
  19. Teren_Kanan

Teren_Kanan Well-Known Member

1,708 Messages
    175 Likes Received
    So now that we have a bunch of people reading this. Discuss your thoughts on what you think is going to happen!

It's the only fun SoIaF vets like me get to have while we wait for the next book =(
  20. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm going to hold off discussion until I have read all 4 books. I'm hoping to finish the 2nd book tomorrow and get started on the 3rd one.