1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

A Difference Maker Outside of #14

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by NeonDeion21, Feb 22, 2012.

1. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Every year I find a player in the middle rounds of the draft who I feel like can be a play-maker for an NFL team. Typically, these are SEC players because that is the conference I follow the most. I know these players aren't stars but I have mentioned Aaron Hernandez, Dexter McCluster and Jacoby Ford on here and other forums as players who can make plays in the NFL.

That player who I feel like can make an impact in multiple ways on offense is Chris Rainey, RB/WR/KR/PR from Florida.

[IMG]

I followed him for the last few years and he has really caught my eye. First let's talk about some of his negatives that will drop him into the 3rd-4th round. He is only a 174 pounds and he will not be an every down running back in the NFL. Rainey was dinged up a bit in school and I am sure teams are worried about how he will hold up in the NFL. He has had an off the field issue with the law and that itself might have teams shying away from him.

But one thing that nobody doubts is his speed. Him and his teammate Jeff Demps were stars for the Florida Track Team. We will find out in a few short days how fast his 40 is, but I am willing to bet right now he is one of the 3 fastest guys in Indianapolis.

Rainey reminds me of a combination of Darren Sproles and Dexter McCluster as he can do so many things out of the backfield and in the slot as a WR. I saw Rainey run away from former teammate Janoris Jenkins at the Senior Bowl. And I mean he blew by him in single coverage.

Rainey has good hands for a RB and is surprising a good route runner in the slot. He isn't an inside runner, but does display good patience and vision for a runner. He also is a dynamic returner who is a threat to take it to the house at any time.

Now I am not saying he will be a top five or ten RB in the league, but I think he is one of those guys you can get in the middle of the draft who can make big plays for a team if you give him 5-15 touches a game.
  2. batman36

batman36 Member

508 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He could help in the return game immediately. As with any player, you'd hope his health is not a consideration, too often.
  3. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,922 Messages
    536 Likes Received
    It depends what round Rainey goes in. To me, LaMichael James is the same type of player but better. If James goes in the 3rd and Rainey goes in the 5th then, yes I agree hes a great sleeper. But if Rainey is slated to go in the 4th I'd much rather just take James in the 3rd who is capable of all the things Rainey is except hes a better pure RB.
  4. NeonDeion21

1,959 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    I agree that James might be the better pure RB. But I think Rainey can help you at RB AND Slot WR. That is a position we have lacked for awhile. None of our 3 WR's are inside players.
  5. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Joe Adams.
  6. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,922 Messages
    536 Likes Received
    James can and will be a slot receiver in the NFL. Hes 1 of the quickest guys in the draft and has very good hands. I really dont see any way Rainey is superior to James, even though I like Rainey as well.
  7. NeonDeion21

1,959 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    [youtube]bW4X664GRt0&feature=related[/youtube]
  8. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,299 Messages
    119 Likes Received
    Ryan Broyles
  9. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    T.Y. Hilton

[youtube]FYmbKz55ZEM[/youtube]
  10. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,410 Messages
    1,746 Likes Received
    Obviously not this year, but the speed is bananas.

[youtube]XcwVBOipeaA[/youtube]
  11. NeonDeion21

1,959 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    I am in total agreement with you on Thomas. He is a player.
  12. NeonDeion21

1,959 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Wrong player. My fault.
  13. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,768 Messages
    3,755 Likes Received
    Still an awesome play. Fun to watch.
  14. ferrispata

ferrispata Member Zone Supporter

274 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    I would love to have a speed demon like Rainey to come in as a change of pace back but someone who can catch as well. And trade Felix Jones as well. Murray, Rainey, and Tanner (or maybe even Tolbert from SD). I would be very happy.
  15. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,576 Messages
    528 Likes Received
    Rainey can play.
  16. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,119 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    these are all good names

joe adams or ty hilton in 5 or rainey in 6

no reaches

i think rainey definitely makes it to 5 and likely to 6
  17. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,381 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    He is Wes Welker if he goes to a team with a top 10 qb. He is smart, quick, and had 2 drops in 2 years with something like 275 targets. NFL corners and safeties could not cover him. He will be a 3rd round pick- at best. It will be a gift for whoever gets him.

Cordy Glenn will be Nicks. He physically dominated the SEC.

Joe Adams will also be a good player.

Jerod-Edie from A&M will be a serviceable DE late in the draft. Ronnel Lewis will be a good pro. He is a good football player that only has 1.5 years at the position of DE-OLB. He has crazy athleticism. Kheeston Randle is an upgrade over either Spears or the "Strong Dog" as a 3rd or 4 round DE. Keenan Robinson will have a very good career if he is a SAM or Will in the 4-3.

Cliff Harris and Lamichael James are great football players. I like the Michigan center.
  18. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,584 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Rainey or Demps? who would you rather have if you had to take 1 of them?

They are both small, lightning quick backs, who can also help in the return game.
  19. NeonDeion21

1,959 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Is Demps eligible to be drafted? I would like to know if he is because I like him a lot too.
  20. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,584 Messages
    33 Likes Received

i dont think he is....i might have made a mistake. I know around December he was on a lot of draft prospect lists, but once they finalize the list with who is staying in college and who is leaving to the NFL, the list condenses. I guess I didnt pay close enough attention to the RBs....

Still, if both were in the draft, who would you chose?