1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

A downfield throw to Escobar

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CATCH17, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,265 Messages
    563 Likes Received
    They ran the same play with witten from a similar distance to the endzone later but could not connect. But i think that is more to the rams being ready for it the second time, though im not sure
  2. Dale

Dale Forum Architect

4,932 Messages
    269 Likes Received
    We're starting to see us go to him a tad in the red zone. Remember against New York we went to him on a downfield throw in the end zone as well, but he stumbled, lost his shoe and the ball fell incomplete.

I'm right there with you. Hate this pick if we use him as an inline blocker and a dump-off option. Could really love it if he ends up becoming a valuable goal-line presence.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,491 Messages
    9,640 Likes Received
    It wasn't a zone. He was manned up with a LB.
  4. Fritsch_the_cat

Fritsch_the_cat Well-Known Member

961 Messages
    557 Likes Received
    That play was a thing of beauty.
  5. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Technically, he wasn't manned up. :D
  6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,534 Messages
    5,460 Likes Received
    Slow LB who was late getting on the field.
  7. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    It was nice to see Dallas use their #2 TE as more than just a blocker. Gavin was often split out wide and in the slot. PFF has him down for 14 snaps but I gotta believe he was out there way more than that. At least I thought he was. Maybe not, I may have to take a second look at the game as I watched it camped out in front of my computer on DTVs website.
  8. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,079 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    That was as good of a pass are you're going to see, perfect throw nice to see Romo hasn't lost it yet
  9. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,523 Messages
    724 Likes Received
    I'm loving this team when they use the vertical passing attack. Do it more often, we have the weapons.
  10. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    At least one poster is thinking.

It wasn't a great play by Escobar in any way, shape or form, except that he caught the ball on one of the worst defended plays I've seen this season. It's borderline hysteria how some fans want to make shallowly evaluated and ill-conceived conclusions from particularly happy (or dire) outcomes.

Grow brains, people!
  11. JBell523

JBell523 That's my Quarterback

3,335 Messages
    573 Likes Received
    If he gets that 2nd foot down, this thread does 5+ pages.

I wanna see him get more iso match-ups in the redzone. TJ McDonald is 6'3" and Escobar dwarfed him on that fade attempt.
  12. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,783 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    Speaking of down the seam.......There is another TE on the roster with more speed to get there and pull the safety off of Dez, that we haven't seen yet, No LB'r will stay with him. Garrett keeping a card up his sleeve he has yet to show?
  13. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,308 Messages
    1,375 Likes Received
    I believe that you can make a really good offense without having superstars as long as you have mismatches and take advantage of them. The 2007 Patriots offense was unworldly. Before then, Welker was virtually a nobody. Donte Stallworth wasn't the same player. Ben Watson's production was underwhelming. And Kevin Faulk was a JAG.

But put them together and with Randy Moss, you have Welker that can't be matched up in the slot. Stallworth who runs a 4.2 forty and was a problem for #2 and #3 corners. That could leave Watson, a legit 4.4 guy on linebackers and Faulk, a terrific receiver out of the backfield against linebackers.

I think that is pretty much what I hope for with Escobar. Dez, Miles and Witten can draw the attention and that can give Escobar a matchup against a linebacker or #3 or #4 corner. Then if that doesn't work out, Murray can catch passes out of the backfield.

YR
    Idgit likes this.
  14. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,534 Messages
    5,460 Likes Received
    Just as importantly we have a OL that will give those weapons time to get downfield where Romo can hit them.
  15. Risen Star

22,491 Messages
    9,640 Likes Received
    The Harris TD throw was even better. That was good coverage but Romo fit it in a tight window.
  16. Risen Star

22,491 Messages
    9,640 Likes Received
    Welker was very productive in Miami and hasn't skipped a beat post- Moss. He's not a product of anything other than being a very good player.
  17. Risen Star

22,491 Messages
    9,640 Likes Received
    Eh, I don't know. You're never going to be a good red zone team if you can't run the ball down there. So I want to see that and save the jump balls for Dez Bryant.
  18. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,308 Messages
    1,375 Likes Received
    In 3 years with the Fins he accumulated 96 catches for 1,021 yards and 1 TD.

Belichick, to his credit, saw where he needed to be utilized and that if you had 2 deep threats he was literally unstoppable in the slot because he's a huge mismatch for #3 CB's and a terror on safeties and linebackers.

But 'very productive' in Miami is not accurate.

YR
  19. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,528 Messages
    1,795 Likes Received
    Red zone maybe, but inside the 5 I'm taking 4 shots throwing it up to either Dez or Esco, whichever one has man coverage lol Odds are, they are going to come down with one of them.