1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

A general consensus on Demarcus Lawrence....

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Risen Star, May 9, 2014.

1. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,591 Messages
    531 Likes Received
    Dude
    is too small to play DE, I'm irritated with this pick. And we don't play a 3-4, why would u mock this guy? Channeling Jerry?
  2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,481 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    If Sullivan is right, then they made the right move according to their board.
  3. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,555 Messages
    549 Likes Received
    Can anyone name a DE that Marinelli had a hand in drafting (Chicago, Detroit, Tampa) that went on to be a pro bowler? Not a knock on Marinelli, just curious.
  4. udas

udas Active Member

115 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Considering we would have had our choice of dl at 47, this becomes an even worse trade. Though I think Lawrence is a good selection, Im not sure the other des were such a dropoff in talent that it was worth giving up our 3rd round pick. I would be curious who else was eyeing Lawrence that we needed to trade in front of.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,430 Messages
    6,134 Likes Received
    Yep. Trading up in this draft is really expensive. For a team with so many defensive holes, it's even more expensive. Don't like the trade, and don't like that we paid a premium in a quality draft.

I'm a little torn, though, because I really, really wanted to see us take an edge rusher, and I do like Lawrence quite a bit.
    CopenhagenCowboy likes this.
  6. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,231 Messages
    4,771 Likes Received
    No, he is not too small to play DE, especially not the WDE or Right DE position in Marinelli's defense.
    1LoyalCowboyFan likes this.
  7. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,794 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    According to Tim MacMahon, after Barr, Donald and Shazier, Lawrence was the next defensive player on their list.
  8. Bware_Dware

Bware_Dware Active Member

117 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    I would like to know the % of people who are complaining about this pick that also complained about the Frederick pick.......

Just so I can ignore them
    mcompact likes this.
  9. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,444 Messages
    2,059 Likes Received
    Ok I'm more calm now
    Let's hope for the best
  10. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,794 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    He may not be because Fisher says they had a high 2nd round grade on him.
  11. CowboyFan74

12,591 Messages
    531 Likes Received
    So we are going smaller but quicker right? Teams will run all over those spots..
  12. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,903 Messages
    460 Likes Received
    I don't like this pick.. I did like Fred and also Martin... so... now what?
  13. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,231 Messages
    4,771 Likes Received
    The RDE is actually a different position that LDE in the 4-3 under that Marinelli runs.

If you studied the Cowboys in 2013, you would see that Ware had minimal responsibility for run defense. Ware would either crash down inside or rush wide even on run downs. Ware had much more run responsibilities as a 3-4 OLB. If they really want to set a hard edge at RDE, they would bring in a guy like Wynn (6-3, 285).
  14. Cogan

Cogan Active Member

1,500 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    Why in the world would any team that had the worst defense in the NFL & in franchise history spend a second AND third round pick on ONE player, when they obviously have so many holes to fill? This is the deepest draft in my memory. It boggles the mind. At pick #47, DEs Kony Ealy, Kareem Martin, Trent Murphy, Jackson Jeffcoat, Scott Crichton, etc., plus DTs Timmy Jernigan, Louis Nix, DaQuan Jones, Kelcy Quarles, Will Sutton, Ego Ferguson, etc. were all available. No one can convince me that a defense sorely lacking in so many areas is better off bundling multiple picks for one player. Just one more example why this team remains an afterthought come playoff time.
    ufcrules1 and TonyS like this.
  15. CowboyFan74

12,591 Messages
    531 Likes Received
    Ok I'm looking at this from a prototypical standpoint.. Ware is not a good example because if healthy he's beast enough to play DE at his weight.. This cat is, nvrmnd...
  16. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,329 Messages
    562 Likes Received
    Crichton just went at 72.
  17. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,112 Messages
    4,303 Likes Received
    The number of players you mention doesn't matter if we didn't want them. We had Lawrence rated as a 1st round talent and wanted him before the Falcons could get him. Saying this or that player is available doesn't matter. Look what happened to JF.
    mcompact likes this.
  18. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,444 Messages
    2,059 Likes Received
    Thinking rationally is your first mistake
    Trying to decipher and understand what these idiots did is your second
    dwight and Duane like this.
  19. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,559 Messages
    734 Likes Received
    LOL!
  20. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,284 Messages
    892 Likes Received
    It's what we do. Yesterday and earlier today people were "praising Jerry" for not taking Johnny, and going OG.

They just can't help themselves.