1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

A general consensus on Demarcus Lawrence....

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Risen Star, May 9, 2014.

1. Szczepanik

Szczepanik Well-Known Member

1,072 Messages
    615 Likes Received
    I still think we go DE next year in the first.

That being said, this move for Lawrence was a MUST MAKE move.

Atlanta was going to snag him anyways, which forced our hand. I am sure we wanted to get rid of the 4th rounder to move up but got our hands forced for the 3rd.

If we didn't land Lawrence which by the way is a scheme fit.... we would be in a bit of struggle DE wise. There were what, only 2 or 3 DE's that fit our defensive scheme at end that were considered top players?
  2. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,188 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    ironic how settling for a lesser talent like Scott Crichton or Kareem Martin and keeping our third and drafting Jackson jeffcoat or Kelsey quarles, would've been more popular.
    fishspill likes this.
  3. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I would have never overpayed to move up considering the holes on the roster. I would have waited a year and tried to get a better player and value. If they DE in the first next year, it will really make the trade-up look bad and it will indicate that Lawrence was a reach. I hope he is the next Haley and the DE position is filled.
  4. Szczepanik

1,072 Messages
    615 Likes Received
    I think they will look for Spencer's replacement via 1st round draft next year. Or safety I would assume. I just don't think the DL is anywhere near fixed. I see Melton/Lawrence longterm with 2 holes on the DL to replace spencer and find the 1tech.

We will see though.
  5. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,207 Messages
    2,802 Likes Received
    It really wouldn't surprise me to see Bishop or Coleman... or even both, stick and really do well at the 1-tech spot. The reason Marinelli doesn't really like to take 1-tech DT's early in the draft is because he can find late round guys who can come in and play well there. They just need to be relatively quick and relatively stout and play with leverage. Both of those guys do that.

Maybe I'm off, but I think one or both end up filling a hole and end up being part of a healthy rotation inside.
  6. Szczepanik

1,072 Messages
    615 Likes Received
    I sure hope so!

I would love nothing more than the 1 tech to get filled by Bishop. That would leave Spencer's spot on the line up in the air next season, assuming the knee doesn't check out.
  7. Texas_Pete

Texas_Pete Well-Known Member

1,217 Messages
    352 Likes Received
    Where do you have Spencer in that mix?
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,753 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    Its funny how now all of a sudden Lawrence was a first round pass rushing talent to everyone.

I've been preaching his name for months to mostly crickets.
    McLovin likes this.
  9. locked&loaded

locked&loaded its redskin season

2,827 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    we get it, you the man
  10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I hated giving up a 3rd but for me it comes down to 1 simple thing and that is, was Lawrence someone Marinelli was pushing for? If you expect him to get the defense turned around then give the man the tools to do the job. I respect other peoples views of why they like or did not like getting Lawrence or the fact we had to give up a 3rd in the process but at the end of the day if this is a guy Marinelli wanted then at least he got what he felt would be the best for his unit and to me that is what really matters.
  11. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,207 Messages
    2,802 Likes Received
    I'm not counting on Spencer at all, so nowhere. If he does surprise and is able to contribute, then certainly he will help. I think he would play on the strongside, but possibly both.
    jnday and Texas_Pete like this.
  12. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,510 Messages
    682 Likes Received
    Because he's 250 pounds, that's considered undersized.
  13. theranchsucks

theranchsucks Well-Known Member

1,064 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    Mel likes 97% of the prospects
  14. theranchsucks

theranchsucks Well-Known Member

1,064 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    Bottom line is this draft trade was for need. Not exactly the same as drafting for need but when you trade too much to get there it basically is the same as drafting for need.

The other problem with this trade is that it makes you have to hit on the top two guys you drafted just like the Claiborne year. If not the draft is garbage, much like the Claiborne year.
  15. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    I've listened to you Risen, I just don't like him all that much as a pass rusher. I've watched a lot of him too. Look at who he got his sacks against. I hope I am dead wrong on this one but I am fearful that we might have drafted a guy who may never be a strong pass rusher off the edge for our scheme.

Hope I'm wrong.
  16. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,933 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    The real problem I have with him is I don't see the quickness and get off that everyone talks about. He will flash SOME quickness at times, but not consistently. I love his ferocity and attitude.
  17. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,140 Messages
    647 Likes Received
    Not sure if they view Coleman as a 1-tech....he's a little light in the rear end I think for the position.
  18. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    You can go back and check the threads. The man is right.
    i said it when he was drafted, Lawrence sounds like a Victor Butler clone in many ways.
  19. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,565 Messages
    2,432 Likes Received
    True.
    If he lives up to what they think of him, then all is well.

On draft day, I guess I looked at Lawrence as a trade off from getting both Tim Jernigan AND Kareem Martin. That was my thinking, not the team's.
    I'm all in for Lawrence, but over time I will be watching the two that (again, for me) would probably have been taken in his place.
    I'll also be watching Telvin Smith...I thought they'd grab him In the 4th. But maybe he's too much of a tweeter.

The trade down to get 4 players (Lawrence late 1st) in three rds instead of 2 players also looked attractive. But I loved the Zack Martin pick anyway.

Our draft was okay, IMO.
  20. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,487 Messages
    813 Likes Received
    Gardner will be Spencer's replacement.