1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

A Great Article on how Obama should Approach Iran

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by LehighCowboy, Jun 15, 2009.

1. LehighCowboy

LehighCowboy Member

130 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    A great article written by an Iranian-American on how to deal with the recent Iranian election results/protests.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/shirin-sadeghi/post-election-iran-what-a_b_215349.html

2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,160 Messages
    1,292 Likes Received
    So Obama has to accept a blatantly fraudulent election. Really good precedent there. That is basically what this article is saying.
  3. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,009 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    What other choice is there for him? He's made it clear he wants to engage them, not push them further away. If all the "underground" reports from Iran floating around on the 'net are to be believed, the angry mobs in Iran might be just enough to change the situation somewhat without Obama having to throw our hat in the ring. The US would probably be wise to stay out of this and let it take care of itself.
  4. burmafrd

41,160 Messages
    1,292 Likes Received
    So DIAF we keep playing nice with them. Worked so well so far.
  5. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Screw Iran. If their whole country wants to strap on a suicide bomb, then go ahead. Try us. We're equipped to the gills. If they want holy war, they'll get it. It won't be hard to annihilate Iran in a Jihad.
  6. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,271 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    She's hot....
  7. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,009 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Honestly though, what does anything else (short of military action) accomplish? Absolutely nothing. I don't think playing "nice" with them will get us anywhere anyways, but it at least might take the edge off the situation for a while. I know most of you in here are probably for turning Iran into a sea of glass, but I don't think we can really afford to pursue military options at the moment. Might as well keep talking in the meantime and who knows, maybe something happens to Iran in the interim to affect some change (power shifts in the Guardian Council, new Supreme Leader, possibly a new presidential administration, public opinion in Iran, etc.) and make the environment there more favorable. Anyways, if that doesn't work we can be relatively certain Israel will take care of the problem for us.
  8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,058 Messages
    1,615 Likes Received
    I think we need to talk more with our allies who are heavy trading partners with Iran. Namely Germany, Italy and France
  9. burmafrd

41,160 Messages
    1,292 Likes Received
    This post of DIAF is the perfect illustration of why moderates are worthless.

Hope things get better
    take the edge off
    maybe something happens

worth as much as a fart in a hurricane
  10. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,009 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    OK wise guy, what the hell would you have us do? Go in guns blazing because THEY can't sort out who THEIR president is? I swear to god, its like some of you don't have brains.

The stick is not always the wisest course of action. No one is saying to freakin' hold their hands and be best buddies. Christ.

You would rather sacrifice American lives to force Iran into doing our will instead of waiting around in a fluid situation (like one now with mass unrest in the country) to see what shakes out? Good for you. Military action should always be on the table as a last-ditch effort, not the first-in-line one.
  11. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,005 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    What?? You mean they might have influence with them because they are engaged in commerce and talk with them? Horrors! :eek:

And it sure never worked for us and China...;)

I read an article in a navy publication about the problems of an invasion of Iran, and they were formidable. This was not an easy set of physical circumstances like Iraq. Some think we can win just by showing up. Not the case, as has been proven time and again.

Not sure what we can do to support this rising sentiment in Iraq, but hopefully America will do it. The Iranian people are showing admirable bravery in risking their lives and livelihoods in their desire for freedom from oppressive rule. If that doesn't garner our support, then nothing can.

However, there was Tianimen Square, Burma, Hungary, etc in times past.....
  12. burmafrd

41,160 Messages
    1,292 Likes Received
    Yeah DIAF and as those like you keep flapping their gums IRan gets closer and closer to a Nuke. Just like those like you said we needed to keep talking to North Korea. That has really worked out well too right?
  13. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,009 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    GUNS BLAZING. I guess I was right. It's the only avenue some of you conservatives understand. Some of you guys love you some war. Guess what, genius? We are extending ourselves in two places already. You want to add a 3rd to that list? Geez.

Like I said, Israel will NOT accept a nuclear Iran under any circumstances. When it comes down to it, they'll do something about it.

Edit: There's been some pretty amazing stuff posted by iranians in the last couple of days on twitter regarding the elections.

http://www.twazzup.com/search?q=#IranElection

Of course none of it can be verified, but a lot of what's been posted sounds at least plausible. Especially when so many of the tweets say the same things at the same time. One of the most interesting thing is the rumor that many of the pro-Ahmadhinejad thugs have been trucked in from Lebanon or elsewhere, because many of the police have either joined the protesters or have refused to beat/hit their fellow countrymen. Many people have heard these irregular forces speaking in something other than Farsi (again, just a rumor, but quite a big one).
  14. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,005 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    Your tough guys playing it rough on NKorea for 6 years didn't get much done either.

Though I'll grant you that that's because they had nukes and they just might use them. Which is why everyone wants a nuke. And why Iranian nukes are scary as well, if under the command of some of those fanatics....
  15. DaBoys4Life

DaBoys4Life Benched

15,621 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Honestly we need to take over the middle east so that we can take out North Korea. THen we can deal with china and Russia. The United States of Earth.
  16. BigWillie

BigWillie Well-Known Member

1,667 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    :shoot6:
  17. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,674 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    Worked well with Hitler too, who's goals was very similar to the goals of the current Iranian rulers. Ignoring their nuclear program would be about as smart as it was to ignore the North Korean nuke program for all those years. We made deals and played nice with them too and look where it got us.

Trying to create peaceful relations only works when both sides wants it. When 1 side does and the other is just interested in buying time for their nuke program it becomes very counter productive.
  18. burmafrd

41,160 Messages
    1,292 Likes Received
    You have nothing to offer DIAF. Your way HAS NOT WORKED. Yet you keep saying that going in guns blazing will not work. THEN WHAT is left? NOTHING. Which pretty much typifies your results.
  19. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,676 Messages
    436 Likes Received
    I agree

In most cases I agree.

Until Iran gets a nuke capable of damaging our allies in the area I think everything else should be tried.

Once they acquire these weapons we should (in my opinion) make coordinated air strikes against all there military positions and let Israel clean up the mess.
  20. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,674 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    Once they get their hands on nukes our hands are tied, as retaliation for any air strikes would most likely be to nuke either US forces in Iraq or Israel. They need to be stopped from getting nukes period