1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

A Gut-Wrenching Look at the 2 Minutes Before Halftime. Entire Season Breakdown

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Hot_Toddy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,187 Messages
    751 Likes Received
    Just my opinion but I think you guys are looking at it wrong. One of the major rules of having the ball the final two minutes of the half is to not give the opposing team the ball back, especially with any time left on the clock where they can do something with it. It's maddening when we do that and the team goes right down and scores to end the half.

Take the Eagles game. We have the ball at the 50 yard line with 2 minutes left and all 3 of our time outs in a close game. The Eagles get the ball to start the second half so there is no way you give them the ball back with a chance to score on two straight possessions. We pass on first down and it's picked. By the time there's something like 1:03 left on the clock, the Eagles had gone down the field and scored a TD. In other words, the Eagles scored on just a couple of plays in just under a minute.

That score by the Eagles to end the half turned out to be huge. That should never happen but as the Op showed, it happens more often than not. No coach worth his salt in a tight game with your back-up QB gives the ball back to the other team in that scenario. Sure we all want a TD when we start at the 50 but in that scenario you'll take the FG.

On the flip side, the Red Headed Trainee gets the ball back at the Eagles 20 after a huge turnover and he calls these dump passes to the TE. It's maddening. That was our chance to keep the momentum and win the game and we couldn't even muster a yard or two. He has no offensive flow during a game and the play calling in those two series I mentioned were horrendous. Simply putrid.

It's bad enough if you believe we don't have the talent and it's something we debate here constantly. But it's even worse when you don't have a coach with a basic clue about clock management. We've seen this for 3 years now and even Jerry knows it. This is where the Trainee costs us games during the season.
  2. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,960 Messages
    384 Likes Received
    It was a lot of effort, but there is no context. There is nothing about what is a typical run/pass breakdown in the final 2 minutes of the half, only the poster's personal opinion about what is "good" or "bad."

The poster might be surprised to find out that our opponents were even more pass-happy than we were in the final 2 minutes of the first half this season, for example. Or that other offenses were as well. Or that our opponents also "ran the ball only 1 single time between the 20's when they were attempting a drive" -- and that came at our 22-yard line with 1:54 left in the half.

Vintage was right. In the last two minutes of the half, teams pass the ball a lot more, which is basically all that the original post shows.
    Hot_Toddy, ChldsPlay, Picksix and 3 others like this.
  3. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,452 Messages
    2,063 Likes Received
    Fair enough
    Would this be more informative in context? Yes

Looking at the forest is important but sometimes the trees can also tell a story
    When we have run 1 time during a drive between the 20's in the last 2 minutes before the half over a span of 16 games, that tells other teams and defences that it is not just less likely we will run but extremely unlikely. Information like this and tendencies like this have been pointed out by many many media outlets and posters about Garrett's offense and gives defences a significant advantage in game planning and may help in explaining some of our problems

See Dodger12s post above

So dismissing it as nothing is not smart, looking for context to inform the discussion further, is
    Hot_Toddy likes this.
  4. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    Do you sit down when you urinate?
    Hot_Toddy likes this.
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,978 Messages
    987 Likes Received
    1 INT away? You think Orton's int is the reason we didn't make the playoffs in 2013?

In regards to the OP, thanks for taking the time to compile the stats. It tells an interesting story, but one that may be incomplete without having something to compare it to.

For all we know, there are winning teams with similar run/pass discrepancy in the last 2 minutes before the half, and some of those teams might actually be more effective in doing so.

Me personally, I have always felt Garrett was too inexperienced for the job. I never thought he earned it, but rather it was given to him. I expected a bumpy road, but what I didn't expect is for him to keep repeating the same mistakes again and again.
    Hot_Toddy, pancakeman and Bigdog24 like this.
  6. blindzebra

blindzebra Well-Known Member

9,370 Messages
    621 Likes Received
    Yeah the OP did not think lets make Garrett look bad so here are some meaningless stats without context.

The funny thing is if we did a give up before the half the same posters would be *****ing about how we should be going for points and Garrett is coaching not to lose.
    Hot_Toddy likes this.
  7. Bigdog24

Bigdog24 Well-Known Member

1,935 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Thanks for taking the time to do the research. I enjoy reading post like these IMO it makes the Zone a lot better. People actually make an effort and bring something to the table to discuss instead of just venting the normal garbage.

Really waiting to read some of the awesome year end reviews from posters like, Couchscout, Hostile and others.
    Hot_Toddy likes this.
  8. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,452 Messages
    2,063 Likes Received
    Good to see that zebras aren't the only blind creatures in your world
    Hot_Toddy likes this.
  9. AdamJT13

14,960 Messages
    384 Likes Received
    Again, that "tendency" reveals nothing if it is not unusual, and there's no way to know that without context. Teams pass the ball the vast majority of the time in the two-minute offense -- it's not just us. And that doesn't give defenses a "significant advantage," it gives offenses a better chance to score quickly.
    Hot_Toddy and khiladi like this.
  10. Carolina Cowboy

Carolina Cowboy Well-Known Member

594 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    Now if we could just get one of JG's teachers (after all that's what JJ says we are doing right) to have 1/2 the insight and intellect that the OP just demonstrated, we might be onto something.
    Hot_Toddy and visionary like this.
  11. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

2,583 Messages
    1,521 Likes Received
    How often are teams running the ball in a 2 minute offense?
    Hot_Toddy likes this.
  12. Sb or Bust

Sb or Bust Active Member

216 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    When running 2 minute/ hurry up offense, I expect the ratio of pass vs run to be heavily skewed in pass favor, especially if you are trying to score before half. Now if this was the case with the 4 minute offense, then I'd agree.
    Hot_Toddy likes this.
  13. Ultra Warrior

Ultra Warrior 6 Million Light-years beyond believability.

1,518 Messages
    253 Likes Received
    There were plenty of other reasons why but it was the last time we touched the ball. It was the last play that put a nail in the coffin of the 2013 season. It's a lot of What If deals & none of them matter now. Seasons over & Garretts the coach. None of these threads or posts will change it.
    Hot_Toddy likes this.
  14. SWG9

SWG9 Well-Known Member

1,040 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    You beat me to it. That sequence at the end of the half really drove the point home. 1st and 10 at your own 47 with all three timeouts in a 3 point game -- after your backup QB makes a huge play on 3rd and 9 to get a first down -- and we're throwing. Absolutely senseless playcalling there, Orton bails you out of trouble and then you just jump right back in.
    Hot_Toddy likes this.
  15. pjtoadie

pjtoadie Cleveland's #1 Cowboys fan

1,943 Messages
    504 Likes Received
    Is that you Jerry?
    Hot_Toddy likes this.
  16. SWG9

SWG9 Well-Known Member

1,040 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    I generally agree with what you're saying, but I still think there's a lot of value in the OP's research. Another broader point that can be gleaned from this is that the Cowboys (in 2013, at least) generally didn't do well throwing heavily in the last two minutes of the half, so perhaps they should have ran the ball a little more.

I'd assume (although I could be wrong) that a -31 point differential probably ranks in the bottom half (maybe bottom 3rd?) of the league.

These sequences are obviously critical; Dallas was outscored in the final two minutes of a half 7 times this year, pushed 6 games, and "won" 3. That can't be good.
    Chocolate Lab, Hot_Toddy and khiladi like this.
  17. blindzebra

blindzebra Well-Known Member

9,370 Messages
    621 Likes Received
    The football ignorance of some is astounding.

You have a monumentally bad defense, the one thing you can't do is waste possessions. And knowledgeable fans realize how important that last drive of the half can be to winning games.
    Hot_Toddy likes this.
  18. Ultra Warrior

Ultra Warrior 6 Million Light-years beyond believability.

1,518 Messages
    253 Likes Received
    Is that you, Dave Chappelle? :rolleyes:
    Hot_Toddy likes this.
  19. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

4,967 Messages
    399 Likes Received
    Just looking at the final game alone. I wanted a conservative approach to take time off the clock and would have been pleased with a fg there.
    The eagles have been a team that typically has been out scored in second half.
    That int gave the eagles another td before halftime.

Did not like the game management there at all.
    Hot_Toddy likes this.
  20. AdamJT13

14,960 Messages
    384 Likes Received
    The original post doesn't tell you whether the Cowboys did well or did not do well "throwing heavily" in the last two minutes of the half. It says we scored 34 points, but it doesn't tell you whether that is more than, less than or about the same as what we should have scored in those situations.And simply running the ball more often in those situations doesn't mean you'll score more or do any better -- it could just mean than you run out of time sooner.

Like I've been saying, analysis without context is meaningless.
    Hot_Toddy and Kaiser like this.